Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    Does this uni have a good reputation?

I know it has a suprisingly high private school intake, so maybe it might be a dark horse.
    Its just because Oxford Brookes has a rather high amount of Oxford rejects. Brookes is good for an ex poly but only average as a university. (by average I mean the mean average out of Cambridge to TVU).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its just because Oxford Brookes has a rather high amount of Oxford rejects. Brookes is good for an ex poly but only average as a university. (by average I mean the mean average out of Cambridge to TVU).

Ok, looks like Brookes is my only reasonable insurance choice.
    Reading will be my firm choice!

ReputationRep:
    Its just because Oxford Brookes has a rather high amount of Oxford rejects.
    Not quite: anyone serious about an Oxford application would have somewhere a bit better than Brookes as a second choice (except maybe in its strongest subjects). It's more that people just want to be a student in Oxford, I'd say; they get to use some of the old University's facilities, for example the Bodleian library. Also I believe that abroad people don't always recognise the difference between Oxford and Oxford Brookes.

Brookes consistently gets the title of best ex-polytechnic, so it can't be bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Not quite: anyone serious about an Oxford application would have somewhere a bit better than Brookes as a second choice (except maybe in its strongest subjects). It's more that people just want to be a student in Oxford, I'd say; they get to use some of the old University's facilities, for example the Bodleian library. Also I believe that abroad people don't always recognise the difference between Oxford and Oxford Brookes.

Brookes consistently gets the title of best ex-polytechnic, so it can't be bad!
    Brookes has an excellent sporting background. They do really well at Henley each year, and a number of their rowers are in the GB squad. Alot of Oxford studnets resent bookes students cus some come out with the same degree classification but for only doing half the work of a typical Oxford student

ReputationRep:
    Oxford brookes is actually tons better than an average uni. It is clearly established as the top ex poly and achieves significantly better than the others.
    The Sunday Times rank it as 58th out of 123 in the uni leagues and the guardian rank it significantly better than that at 24 which is ahead of uni such as Durham and reading, Loughborough, bath and newcastle. Thats on teaching stats.
    They have excellent relationships with employers and I believe also have very good graduate employment statistics. Yes they do have a lot of rahs there which put me off but the teaching and facilities are excellent and employers certainly wouldnt be put off you for going there. I would rather go to Brookes than a lot of the worse quality 'established' unis which think they can rest on there laurels because they were a uni before 1970.
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/high....html?start=20

Many of the individual departments are top 20

ReputationRep:
    the history department got a better rating than oxfords....lol,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Alot of Oxford studnets resent bookes students cus some come out with the same degree classification but for only doing half the work of a typical Oxford student!
    what do you mean by the same degree classification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinay)
    what do you mean by the same degree classification?
    The same grade i.e 2:1. That is just normal though we all know a Oxford 2:1 is going to be better than say a UEL degree.

ReputationRep:
    The same grade i.e 2:1. That is just normal though we all know a Oxford 2:1 is going to be better than say a UEL degree.
    Thats the case at any uni really, Oxbridge students do about twice as much work as at any uni from what I know. But they are probably twice as employable so it evens out in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Thats the case at any uni really, Oxbridge students do about twice as much work as at any uni from what I know. But they are probably twice as employable so it evens out in the end.
    Yeah exactly thats why their attitude of I had to work hard to go to Oxford and you didn't to get into your uni or what ever. What the oxbridge students fail to mention is that they will also be far more employable than the the average university student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Alot of Oxford studnets resent bookes students cus some come out with the same degree classification but for only doing half the work of a typical Oxford student

It is much easier to get a 2:1 at brookes than oxford, by a very large amount. I doubt any oxford students resent brookes student for this, as brookes is not a patch on oxford. Of course brookes students can get a same degree class as an oxford student with doing about half the amount of work, brookes is crap in comparison. it's like saying that you could do half the amount of work at TVU and get the same degree classification as a Cambridge student. Well duh, the place is rubbish vs cambs.

ReputationRep:
    HOWEVER, unless you're comparing oxford brookes to oxford university, then it's not really valid.

One of my friends' sisters went to Oxford Brookes and had an amazing time. It is the best up and coming ex poly, and has consistently moved up the league tables over the last few years. It's talked about as 'one to watch', so yeah, go for it

ReputationRep:
    im not too sure about the whole ox brookes vs uni of ox workload. im from ox brookes and im at exeter with people from uni of ox and we did very similar subjects and had the same workload. brookes doesnt require an essay a week but if you take modules full of coursework then you will write this many essays (i certainly did!). Also - the work is marked by external examiners in order to make sure that certain standards are being met. it could be a cultural thing - that oxbridge students are from a background where they are expected to work hard (hence the alevel grades)...maybe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    Hi-tec trainers might have better quality materials, but everyone will go for Nikes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    I think that's only based on research; also Oxford has far more historians researching than Brookes, so while Brookes History research may be of 5* quality it doesn't produce that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    Another useful statistic there, no fiddling around of course. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont think anyone with a right mind would choose brookes over oxford. but that is not to say that brookes is a bad uni. above average-above average, but not an elite institute...but what an amazing time i had there!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.