The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The University of Leeds - Britain's most popular university!

The University of Leeds is once again the UK's most popular university, with over 49,000 applications for undergraduate places this year. Figures released by Universities and Colleges Admissions Service show applications for the University of Leeds have increased by 4%. This increase is greater than the national trend, which saw applications increase by 3.4% across the sector. The University is also top of the table for home/EU applications.

Full results can be seen at http://www.ucas.com/new/press/news120204/appsdig.html and the accompanying press release at http://www.ucas.com/new/press/news120204/

Why do you think the University of Leeds is so popular?

Please write your answers / comments below?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, it's a large uni, so the overall figures will favour it more than proportional ones.

Also, it is of the sort of standard where it will attracts apps from the B grade student as a first choice, the A grade student as an insurance, and the C grade student as a shot in the dark.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
i swear nottingham was the most subscribed course this year

ah well

i duno
Reply 3
hmm, but whats the drop out rate? i personally know 3 people who have dropped out and that was before christmas. Surely with so many people applying in the 1st place and starting there, the number of people who drop out will make it pretty similar to the number of undergraduates studying there as other unis of roughly the same size?
Reply 4
Excellent nightlife while not too expensive. Social hub of the north! :biggrin: I love Leeds!
Reply 5
capslock
Social hub of the north!

Pissssh.
Reply 6
Lol Leeds aint a patch on Manchester :biggrin: We also had the Hacienda too.
Reply 7
Leeds is a wicked uni - i was really torn between that and here as my first choice (came down to the fact that 1- here gave me a lower offer and appeared to want me more 2- Leeds accomodation wasn't on campus like here and 3- Leeds lacked completely in the way of sports facilities). Its got huge amounts of good reputation across the board, is a great city for shopping and nightlife and sightseeng. The campus at Leeds is really nice as well.
Reply 8
amazingtrade
Lol Leeds aint a patch on Manchester :biggrin: We also had the Hacienda too.

Lol, I wish I was in Manchester for those days.. :smile:
Reply 9
Petrozzi
Lol, I wish I was in Manchester for those days.. :smile:

Yeah me too. I was in Manchester but I was 15 years old when the Hacienda closed down so never really remember much of it. The legacy has lived though, we are now apparantly Britiains first 24 four hour city as a result of the Madchestoh culture.
Reply 10
Nottingham may have more apllicants per place, though Leeds has the most applicants as it is bigger uni. Out of interest, which uni is the biggest (ie. has the most students) in the UK?
Reply 11
Bitewing
Nottingham may have more apllicants per place, though Leeds has the most applicants as it is bigger uni. Out of interest, which uni is the biggest (ie. has the most students) in the UK?

Manchester.
Reply 12
Bitewing

I would imagine it would be the New Manchester univiersity as that would have around 40,000 students. However I am sure there is a university some where with a round 60,000 students. Let me do a bit of research I will try and find the answer.
Reply 14
I never realise Mancester and UMIST had merged. I even applied there too (a prime example of my poor observational skills). wow 34,000 is a LOT of students.
Reply 15
llama boy
Well, it's a large uni, so the overall figures will favour it more than proportional ones.

Also, it is of the sort of standard where it will attracts apps from the B grade student as a first choice, the A grade student as an insurance, and the C grade student as a shot in the dark.

llama boy is right. TBH none of the very *top* unis will ever have the name "the most popular" because it only attaracts the top students, whereas Leeds attracts the top students as an 'insurance' or a cushion if they can't get into the others for some reason, the middle students as their favourite, and then the lower students as wild card. You'll never get this with a *higher* uni, which tends to attract solely straight A students (with the odd Bs here and there), no range of grades really.
Reply 16
Ive also applies to manchester and got an offer...but im worried about the safety aspect of it...as compared to bath uni...do people even go out because of the danger or is everything ive heard just a bunch of gossip...especially the stuff about MOss side..wat is it abt that place and fallowfield...
Reply 17
scandalous
Ive also applies to manchester and got an offer...but im worried about the safety aspect of it...as compared to bath uni...do people even go out because of the danger or is everything ive heard just a bunch of gossip...especially the stuff about MOss side..wat is it abt that place and fallowfield...

God, don't listen to urban legends as it's mostly exaggerated bs. Moss Side as far as I know is where a lot of drugs circulate, however it's way away from the University and a student would never need to venture down there (unless of course you're a H addict).

Er, Fallowfield is a largely student populated place, Fallowfield student accom is there and the students tend to band together.

Stop worrying. :smile:
Reply 18
Streetwize
i swear nottingham was the most subscribed course this year

ah well

i duno

Yeah i heard that as well. Im sure it was on a UCAS newsletter too.
Reply 19
scandalous

I dont know how much of the gossip is true, but I must admit that was one of the reasons I decided not go there.

Latest