Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hmmm...ok. well that was quite helpful..thanks
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Moss Side is a bad place, but it's quite simple, just don't go there, I can't see why you'd need to. The city centre has its problems, but quite frankly, it's the idiots who get mugged. Just use your common sense, keep to busy places, be confident, don't upset aggressive looking people.
Reply 22
does anyone know if i can get work experience while doing the economics course at manchester uni????
Reply 23
llama boy
Well, it's a large uni, so the overall figures will favour it more than proportional ones.

Also, it is of the sort of standard where it will attracts apps from the B grade student as a first choice, the A grade student as an insurance, and the C grade student as a shot in the dark.

Is it bad then that even though I got really high As for AS, and have a BBB offer, that I choose Leeds as my firm choice? Even though it is my lowest offer it has grabbed my attention far more than Bristol or Durham (other 2 potentials).
Reply 24
emma_
Is it bad then that even though I got really high As for AS, and have a BBB offer, that I choose Leeds as my firm choice? Even though it is my lowest offer it has grabbed my attention far more than Bristol or Durham (other 2 potentials).
Good for you, you should always choose where you think you'll be happiest - and Leeds is a great uni.

No way did I say it was "bad".
Reply 25
Just stick to Vctoria Park, Fallowfield on uni campus and you're fine. Even the clubs late at night are hardly risky, I walked on my own a few times in the iddle of the night there.*

*Best not to do this

Oh, and Uni of Manchester (or to give its full name, the Victoria Unversity of Manchester is merging with UMIST next year. It hasn't happened yet.
Reply 26
fishpaste
Moss Side is a bad place, but it's quite simple, just don't go there, I can't see why you'd need to. The city centre has its problems, but quite frankly, it's the idiots who get mugged. Just use your common sense, keep to busy places, be confident, don't upset aggressive looking people.

Moss Side is only dangerous if you are involved in the drug culture, I have to travel through Moss Side everyday living in Chorlton and I've never seen any problems there at all, I've witnessed far more crime in places like Beswick.

As for Fallowfield I think its ok as longs as you stick with groups. There is a lot of untarged random crime in Fallowfield such as muggings.

I often walk alone in Manchester city centre at 3:00am and have never had any problems. Its all about common sense.
Reply 27
Petrozzi
God, don't listen to urban legends as it's mostly exaggerated bs. Moss Side as far as I know is where a lot of drugs circulate, however it's way away from the University and a student would never need to venture down there (unless of course you're a H addict).

Er, Fallowfield is a largely student populated place, Fallowfield student accom is there and the students tend to band together.

Stop worrying. :smile:

Moss Side is actually a mile away from the University, some of it is actually in Moss Side, (the dental hospital) on Higer Cambridge Street.

Moss Side is safe because most of the crime is target towards the junkies. It only gets a bad name because of the 1981 riots.

There are far worse areas of Manchester than Moss Side. It isn't a nice area but is in no way the worst area of Manchester let alone the country.

i would happily walk alone in the streets of Moss Side. However I do avoid the council estates in Moss Side, there are pretty rough.
Reply 28
Leeds centre is gorgeous and the uni is a good experience too. I know someone from my halls that did their undergrad at leeds and she is always going back to visit so it must be good.
Reply 29
Ladyluck
Yeah i heard that as well. Im sure it was on a UCAS newsletter too.

accept it nottingham not the most popualr uni,plus nottingham should be,its in the midlands which means both northern people and southern people can easily get there,plus,its a top uni,yet it still struggles to be number one uni

plus a massive majority of nottingham applicants are from overseas and thas increasing as well,wheres leeds has alot more of its applicants from britain

get over it,leeds is the most popular
Reply 30
Trust me - I'm from Manchester, and my sis is actually at Manchester Uni. Moss Side is alright during the day - generally, but I would stay well clear at any other time! Moss Side and Longsight are the worst. Quite a few shootings/knifings - but it is all usually gang related. (If that is any consolation!)

U shouldn't be worried if u r going to the uni though - it's not that close, plus the uni is in an extremely well populated area.
Reply 31
capslock
Excellent nightlife while not too expensive. Social hub of the north! :biggrin: I love Leeds!

At 50p or 80p a drink in Makesyk on tuesdays i completely agree!!!

Latest