The Student Room Group

Is Computing A 'Soft' Subject?

Is it?

I'm thinking of doing Computing, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Shall I do Biology instead of Computing?

And what's Computer Science?

Please Reply. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
And is it worth it to do Further Maths as a 5th A-Level?
Reply 2
If you're using "computer science" and "soft subject" in the same post, you shouldn't really be considering it.
Reply 3
And Shall I drop a subject for the 2nd year? If so, which one? Sorry for asking too many questions. I need help...I'm such an indecisive person.
Reply 4
I did Computing at A level, depending on what type of person you are you'll either find it really hard or really easy. I wouldn't describe it as soft personally but it doesn't command the same respect that the pure science subjects do.
Reply 5
Original post by Ferrari_1996
And Shall I drop a subject for the 2nd year? If so, which one? Sorry for asking too many questions. I need help...I'm such an indecisive person.

yes you should. 5 subjects at A2? Whoa... Unless you find them all easy, drop one. Besides, Unis, including the best ones, only want 3 A levels.

Drop the one you do the worst at. Simple.
Reply 6
Shall I drop a subject even if I'm doing 4 subjects at AS? I'm thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry. And what's Computer Science? Also, what can I do at University with these A-Levels?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions and thanks to those who have answered some of my questions already.
Reply 7
I live in Birmingham BTW. Is Solihull Sixth Form better than Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College?

Sorry for asking yet another question. LOL.
I live in Birmingham BTW. Is Solihull Sixth Form better than Joseph Chamberlain Sixth Form College?

Sorry for asking yet another question. LOL.

What do you want to study at university? I would highly recommend Solihull sixth form :smile:
Reply 9
I don't know. What do you recommend (If I do Computing, Physics, Chemistry and Maths for A-Level)? And what's Computer Science? It seems as if no-one wants to tell me.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know. What do you recommend (If I do Computing, Physics, Chemistry and Maths for A-Level)? And what's Computer Science? It seems as if no-one wants to tell me.

Well computer science is a course you can study at university. Computing is an A level subject. Computer science is basically useful for engineering, mostly maths and computer studies combined together.

Well by taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing you will have many courses to choose from. You could go into engineering, architecture, physics, astrophysics, finance, management, accounting, science courses and of course computer science :biggrin:.

What subjects do you enjoy? I was planning on joining solihull 6th form but instead i stayed at handsworth grammar school. Originally i was going to study Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Art.... I changed on results day to Biology, Chemistry, Economics and ICT.... big regret. Do you get B's and above in the sciences and maths?
I got A in both my Maths Exams, A* in Chemistry, A in Physics and A in Biology.

EDIT: What does Computer Science Involve?
Shall I drop a subject even if I'm doing 4 subjects at AS? I'm thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry. And what's Computer Science? Also, what can I do at University with these A-Levels?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions and thanks to those who have answered some of my questions already.

Those subjects sound great for an engineering degree.
You could do Electrical & Electronic, Mechanical, Chemical, Civil, some unis offer Computing type engineering degrees also, where a lot of focus is on programming, which would be good too if you like that.
You can't really go wrong with an engineering degree, the top unis all have employment rates of at least 90%
Ok thanks for your input. What does Computer Science involve? And I got A in both my Physics exams (P1 & P2), A* in my Chemistry exam (C1) and A in both my Biology Exams (B1 & B2).

I also got A in both my Maths exams. In the first one I was 1 mark off an A*. I'm doing triple science BTW. I'm in set 1 for maths, English and Science but I'm not very good at English (I got a C in my exam).
(edited 12 years ago)
I dont know much about computer science to be honest. I would suggest you research it.

However if i was you i'd keep my options open:
Go for Maths and Physics also a different subject you enjoy and maybe economics/chemistry/computing.

Also A level workload with Maths, physics and chem can be a lot!!!!
What subjects did you choose for A-Level?
Ok thanks for your input. What does Computer Science involve? And I got A in both my Physics exams (P1 & P2), A* in my Chemistry exam (C1) and A in both my Biology Exams (B1 & B2).

I also got A in both my Maths exams. In the first one I was 1 mark off an A*. I'm doing triple science BTW. I'm in set 1 for maths, English and Science but I'm not very good at English (I got a C in my exam).

lol if you're that clever come and join a grammar school in birmingham such as king edwards aston/five ways or my school Handsworth Grammar. In Solihull you'd have to work on your own a lot( independent learning). Also at a grammar school you'll have a lot of students with your capability, A grade.

However you will need a B in english :rolleyes:
What subjects did you choose for A-Level and which sixth form/college do you go to?
What subjects did you choose for A-Level?

Im currently in year 12 at Handsworth Grammar School and i am studying Biology, Chemistry, Economics and ICT.

However recently i've wanted to go into architecture so my A levels won't help. I suggest you think what you want to study at uni and not change your mind while studying A levels like me :tongue:
Ok, I don't know if I should swap Computing with Biology.

Which Sixth Form/College do you go to? Also, if I do Further Maths as well will the work load be too high?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest