The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody using OS X have any recommendations for RSS readers? I've just found out Apple are dropping support for RSS feeds in Mail when Mountain Lion launches :erm:
Reply 2301
I just use Google Reader. Means I get the same unread count no matter where I am, which is rather convenient.
Original post by Dez
I just use Google Reader. Means I get the same unread count no matter where I am, which is rather convenient.

This.
Original post by Dez

Original post by Mad Vlad
This.

Same again :-)

Using the TSR App - Please excuse any typos :smile:
Yeah I'd considered Reader, trying to find an app for it though. I typically like to just have my feeds updating in the background rather than having to keep a tab open for it. Think I've found a couple of potential substitutes that I'll try closer to the time though :holmes:
Reply 2305
There are tons of iPad apps for Google Reader, so chances are you can find something decent for a Mac as well. Keep us informed, I'd be interested in it myself, although the web client suits me most of the time. :holmes:
What browser do you use?
Original post by Dez
There are tons of iPad apps for Google Reader, so chances are you can find something decent for a Mac as well. Keep us informed, I'd be interested in it myself, although the web client suits me most of the time. :holmes:

My web browsing habits are pretty much the opposite to most other people interested in tech, I usually have a maximum of six or seven tabs open at a time. I really don't like making my browser any more cluttered than it has to be.

What browser do you use?

Just plain old Safari. I tried getting into Chrome over Christmas but it never stuck. As said above, my web browsing habits are very minimalistic.
See... Chrome is under the hood at least, Safari, just with more awesomeness. I'd seriously consider migrating to Chrome if for nothing other than the Google Reader app - it just sits in the corner and tells you how many unread items you have.
See... Chrome is under the hood at least, Safari, just with more awesomeness. I'd seriously consider migrating to Chrome if for nothing other than the Google Reader app - it just sits in the corner and tells you how many unread items you have.

I'll have to have a play around with it again closer to the release of Lion, quite content as I am now :ahee:
Reply 2310

Original post by Dez

Thank you for suggesting this, awesome app for Chrome! I've never really used RSS, and I honestly cannot fathom why. Google Reader is excellent!
Original post by tface
Thank you for suggesting this, awesome app for Chrome! I've never really used RSS, and I honestly cannot fathom why. Google Reader is excellent!

No worries :smile:
Original post by mangoh
Do you know much about buying good speakers for LG TVs?

Nope, just a headphone guy.
Original post by G8D
Is this what old, dried up thermal paste looks like?

I've been tearing apart my years old Vaio for fun before throwing it out and was just wondering.. incase I decide to try and replace paste on my new one (though I may just put it into a shop..).

Yep. :smile: Some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud will lift that off. Ensure the heat spreader is completely clear of old thermal paste before the new application.
Original post by G8D
I am such a numpty with all this. I didn't even realise the massive copper construction in my laptop was for cooling until I looked up "thermal paste laptop" on Youtube :colondollar:

What would you use to apply? I've seen credit cards recommended, the heatsink itself and kitchen wrap+finger combo.

:laugh:

My personal preference is a credit card or similar, but there are many different ways of doing it. :smile:
Reply 2317
Original post by G8D
Worth buying Arctic 5 or would MX2 or 4 do? I know the latter 2 aren't electrically conductive so may be safer for a noob :P

If it's really old, you'll also need something to scrape off the dried up paste. Soak it and rub in the isopropanol, and use some hard sharp plastic (credit card) to scrape off the paste. Don't use metal as it will gouge the surface.

Then just put a little blob of new thermal paste about the size of a long grain of rice. No need to spread it, let the weight of the heat sink spread it as you press it down evenly.

I just did this to an old dell laptop and it helped dramatically. You can also get thermal pads for the graphics. Can't use paste really on the graphics as the two surfaces aren't usually close enough for paste.

I just used MX-4 as it was cheap and gets decent reviews. There aren't really any major differences between decent paste.
Apple's newest 15" MacBook Pro is packing a 2880 x 1800 display. Me wants.
Reply 2319
Original post by G8D
I went for the MX2 and the accompanying Arctic iso/purifier on eBuyer, free next day delivery :woo:

Also, disappointed that the new Air doesn't have "retina".

EDIT: I suppose one plus side is that there's no real point in small high-res screens while the internet remains so low-res. I struggle with some sites on my 15" 1080p screen nevermind 1800p..

It would quite literally melt the machine. I've no idea how their 15" AirPro is going to handle it TBH, definitely holding off judgement of that laptop until it gets some balanced reviews.

Latest

Trending

Trending