The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
I meant that it's £189 with the code.
Reply 2641
But then, £160 is still such a good price. I can't really see myself storing a tonne of media on this thing.
Original post by Chrosson
Are you able to do it with your new (old) superpowers?

Not directly. Should be pretty simple, though :smile:
Original post by SMed
I meant that it's £189 with the code.

Dammit :ahee:

Original post by SMed
But then, £160 is still such a good price. I can't really see myself storing a tonne of media on this thing.

That's what I was thinking. Given the massive size of HD video or albums encoded to lossless I'll be rotating the contents of my tablet regularly, so I may as well go for the cheaper option. I expect I'll be using more for web browsing and streaming anyway.

It's also been confirmed that the Windows Phone 7.5 update is rolling out on the Lumia line over the next couple of weeks, meaning I'll be getting tethering support for when the Nexus 7 launches. Nicely timed, Nokia =P
Reply 2644
Yeah, **** the 16gb. I have a 16gb iphone with all my music, and that's not even full. Plus I'm using the spotify app more these days anyway. I'll just get the 8gb. £30 extra for 8gb is too annoying.
Original post by SMed
Yeah, **** the 16gb. I have a 16gb iphone with all my music, and that's not even full. Plus I'm using the spotify app more these days anyway. I'll just get the 8gb. £30 extra for 8gb is too annoying.

On the subject of this, does Android have any way of accessing the media on your computer wirelessly, a Home Sharing on iOS?
Reply 2646
Not sure... there is now a Google Drive app though? You think it can access media?
You can access music wirelessly on Android. It's called Google Music.
You upload all your songs onto Google Music. So, your songs are stored in the cloud.
You then configure the music app on your Android device, so, it syncs with your Google Music account.
So, you're able to get all your songs without needing internet. I think it also does offline, but, I'm not sure whether it takes any space.

I don't have an Android device, so, I can't give instructions on how to do this. A simple Google search should help though.
That's why I'm not concerned about the space limitations of Nexus 7 (if I were to get one, I would get 16GB though - 8GB is just too little, especially when you only receive a reported 5.7GB of the 8GB.)
Reply 2648
Original post by Konflict
You can access music wirelessly on Android. It's called Google Music.
You upload all your songs onto Google Music. So, your songs are stored in the cloud.
You then configure the music app on your Android device, so, it syncs with your Google Music account.
So, you're able to get all your songs without needing internet. I think it also does offline, but, I'm not sure whether it takes any space.

I've read that three times and still don't have a clue what it's supposed to do. Could Google have made it any more complicated? :erm:
For accessing stuff on your PC - use iMediaShare :smile: There are several other apps but I find iMediaShare the best free one (works with apple stuff too with airplay I think) - I remember seeing ones with nicer interfaces too but for £3.99 or whatever it was I didn't bother since I don't use the feature much anyway.

Original post by Dez
I've read that three times and still don't have a clue what it's supposed to do. Could Google have made it any more complicated? :erm:

Basically cloud storage but specifically for a music library.
Holy lightning death ray, Batman... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18630622

:zomg:
Original post by Mad Vlad
Holy lightning death ray, Batman... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18630622

:zomg:

"George Fischer, lead scientist on the project, said: "We never got tired of the lightning bolts zapping our simulated [targets]."

Christ, even their scientists are trigger happy!
This is the thing about working in this sort of industry - it never gets boring! :biggrin:
This is the thing about working in this sort of industry - it never gets boring! :biggrin:

Haha definitely not, they're basically paid to create the optimum engines for destruction, I'd love it :ahee: The closest I'll come to that is biological weapons, which don't really capture public enthusiasm as well =P
Original post by hassi94
For accessing stuff on your PC - use iMediaShare :smile: There are several other apps but I find iMediaShare the best free one (works with apple stuff too with airplay I think) - I remember seeing ones with nicer interfaces too but for £3.99 or whatever it was I didn't bother since I don't use the feature much anyway.

Basically cloud storage but specifically for a music library.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Shame about Google Music being US only, surprisingly they allow FLAC content to be uploaded and stream it at full bit rate :drool:
No... they're a bit last year... :erm:

I love BAE's railgun. That's a stylish bit of kit. :cool:

I love working in the defence industry :awesome:
What's going to happen to the most irritating man ever conceived in UK advertising!? :zomg:
What's going to happen to the most irritating man ever conceived in UK advertising!? :zomg:

Preferably something slow and painful. Hopefully the producers of Saw or Hostel are involved...
Reply 2658
Just finished upgrading my server. :proud: New silent PSU, and two new HDDs to make a RAID 1 array for the data. Think I've earnt my techie brownie points for the weekend. :awesome:
Sale of the Google Nexus (read: the phone, not the tablet :tongue:) has been halted in the US and they are now prohibited from sale. Lawyers aye :rolleyes:

Latest