The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by Vulpes
:hello: You interested in that TSR web intern thing? Saw your post in that thread :ninja:

Hai:awesome:
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
:hello: You interested in that TSR web intern thing? Saw your post in that thread :ninja:

Haha nope, just thought I'd join in on the time travel jokes :ahee: as cool as it would be to work for TSR, I don't have any real experience in the areas they deem "desirable" whereas I'm sure dozens of other applicants will. Plus it would mean taking a few months out of my degree and make commuting to see my family/girlfriend even more of a pain. If this had come up this time last year I'd have probably tried my luck and read up on those things as much as possible, not really a viable idea anymore though =P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 662
Oh? What degree are you studying?
Original post by Vulpes

Original post by Vulpes
Oh? What degree are you studying?

Biology, just about XD
Reply 664
Alas, rejected from IBM. Ah well, there are other companies to apply to. :biggrin:
Reply 665
Original post by Tathrim
Alas, rejected from IBM. Ah well, there are other companies to apply to. :biggrin:

I got rejected from IBM at the very final stage, after £300 of train fares to various interviews and assessment days which I still haven't been reimbursed for :P
Reply 666
Original post by G8D
TVs with high update frequency :nn:

??
Reply 667
Original post by G8D
I find everything looks like it's moving in fast motion when it's not :colonhash:

Are you talking about the refresh frequency thing? Like 60Hz vs 120Hz? I thought 120Hz was supposed to be really good and smooth looking? Are do I have no idea what you're talking about? :biggrin:
Reply 668
I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Wikipedia
Many high-end LCD televisions now have a 120 or 240 Hz (current and former NTSC countries) or 100 or 200 Hz (PAL/SECAM countries) refresh rate. The rate of 120 was chosen as the least common multiple of 24 frame/s (cinema) and 30 frame/s (NTSC TV), and allows for less distortion when movies are viewed due to the elimination of telecine (3:2 pulldown). For PAL at 25 frame/s, 100 or 200 Hz is used as a fractional compromise of the least common multiple of 600 (24 x 25). These higher refresh rates are most effective from a 24p-source video output (e.g. Blu-ray Disc), and/or scenes of fast motion.

Supposed to be great for games as there's less tearing and an incredibly smooth display. I think the important part is that it is an even multiple of the source frame rate so there's no 'tearing'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Wonder how they did this. :holmes:

I saw on the news that "experts" believe that the rozzers recorded the conversation and emailed it - probably in an unencrypted format. :holmes: Where it was then intercepted.
Original post by Vulpes
Joining this thread :yep:

:pcguru:

Welcome! :smile:
Original post by Kenny_uk
Okay guys, So my course leader is looking for 3 students to help construct a "cleanbox" for harddrive repairs within the Forensic lab on campus, and I've volunteered to help out, however I'm still waiting on him to decide who to use. I'm wondering whether there is anything I should look into that might prepare me for this sort of project (I'm a first year Forensic Computing Student)

I didn't know that you were doing Forensic Computing... :holmes:

By hard drive repairs... to what extent are you repairing the drive? Software faults such as damaged file tables/MBRs etc. or hardware problems?
Reply 672
Original post by Mad Vlad
I didn't know that you were doing Forensic Computing... :holmes:

By hard drive repairs... to what extent are you repairing the drive? Software faults such as damaged file tables/MBRs etc. or hardware problems?

Hardware problems - Since we can't open a drive up in a normal environment to fix it, we need a cleanbox within which we can work without fear of getting anything exposed.

Oh and not sure if that was sarcasm or not about my course :P
Hardware problems - Since we can't open a drive up in a normal environment to fix it, we need a cleanbox within which we can work without fear of getting anything exposed.

Oh and not sure if that was sarcasm or not about my course :P

Oh fail. :facepalm2: I'd mistaken you for someone else...

Hmm... :holmes: that's an interesting project. So, I assume it'll be a glass or perspex box with an antechamber to allow things in and out, with some sort of air flow moving through the box fitted with some sort of HEPA filters to achieve a suitable particulate level inside the cleanbox.

I'll have a scout around the internets and see if I can find any examples of this sort of apparatus.
Reply 674
Oh fail. :facepalm2: I'd mistaken you for someone else...

Hmm... :holmes: that's an interesting project. So, I assume it'll be a glass or perspex box with an antechamber to allow things in and out, with some sort of air flow moving through the box fitted with some sort of HEPA filters to achieve a suitable particulate level inside the cleanbox.

I'll have a scout around the internets and see if I can find any examples of this sort of apparatus.

heh No worries :biggrin:

Yeah, from the research I've done already those are the sort of suggestions I've seen.
Most universities already have something like this in place for their forensic labs, but our one is unfortunately not so well kitted out, so we're going to build one ourselves
Oh ****ing excellent news. My car appears to have run out of electricity. :colonhash:
Reply 676
Oh ****ing excellent news. My car appears to have run out of electricity. :colonhash:

Hm. Shocking..
Hm. Shocking..

Reply 678
My battery has 'run out of electricity'. Well, enough electricity. Stupid winter, spoiling my perfectly good 8 year old battery.
Original post by SMed
My battery has 'run out of electricity'. Well, enough electricity. Stupid winter, spoiling my perfectly good 8 year old battery.

Exactly! My car's a bloody joke tbh. Ruined exhaust manifold. Ruined power steering pump. Ruined bodywork. Ruined interior. Ruined stereo (it got stolen). Ruined battery. Ruined door seals. Ruined door locks. Ruined drivers side door. Ruined sunroof seals. Ruined boot release. Ruined brakes... but the clock is correct.

Latest

Trending

Trending