The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Failblog have some pretty awesome pumpkin wins this year - particularly like this and this. :top:
Reply 61
Is it worth getting a kindle now?

Getting fed up of faffing with journal articles and trying to get them to print properly and then lugging them about with me, and i just can't read things like that off my laptop screen.
Original post by cambo211

Is it worth getting a kindle now?

Getting fed up of faffing with journal articles and trying to get them to print properly and then lugging them about with me, and i just can't read things like that off my laptop screen.

What do you mean by "now"? As in is it still worth buying one, or should you hold out for a refresh?
Reply 63
Is it still worth buying one/ is there a new one just round the corner?

Is it still worth buying one/ is there a new one just round the corner?

They were only refreshed in September, so there's no worry of a new one landing soon (Unless you count the Kindle Fire, of which there has been no mention of an international release) [=
Reply 65
D'you know how easy it is to get journal articles and the like onto it?

Afraid not, I haven't used one myself.
Reply 67

If it's a PDF then it's just drag and drop. Results may vary as to reading quality though.

You email your documents to amazon and it magically uploads to your kindle as long as you are connected to some sort of internet or you can transfer them manually via USB. PDFs are alright on it but it can be a faff scrolling around but amazon will convert the document when you email it to them if you want but it does seem to struggle with column layouts tho
Reply 69
Just got an email that proclaimed I was free to "forward this email to all your friends and family" followed by a disclaimer at the bottom that said "This email and its attachments are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is addressed". :eyeball:
Reply 70
Original post by Dez
If it's a PDF then it's just drag and drop. Results may vary as to reading quality though.

It's actually drag and drop for all file types :smile:
Okay, here's the deal:
I thought that my download speeds of about 5Mbps (as opposed to the 16 the router claimed) was due to Sky's ****ery. Now it turns out it's the homeplugs I've been using. So I plan to stop using those, but this leaves me with a problem of what to do next. My room is on the opposite side of the house to the master socket where, ideally, the router would be plugged in. I bought an extension cable to move it from the bedroom it was in to the living room so the 802.11b router Sky provided us with reaches my room. Still a bit patchy.

I've bought a 802.11n router which should be here in the next couple of days with a better range/better wireless speed but since I don't have a wireless card in my desktop, I'm pretty screwed if I want decent speeds. Short of buying a 20m ethernet cable and dragging it through the length of the house, what do you guys suggest.

TL;DR: Need ideas on how to get decent speeds in my room. I don't have a wireless desktop, homeplugs are slowing me down dramatically, and I really don't want to have 20m of ethernet cable running through the house.
Reply 72
Original post by Wednesday Bass
Okay, here's the deal:

TL;DR: Need ideas on how to get decent speeds in my room. I don't have a wireless desktop, homeplugs are slowing me down dramatically, and I really don't want to have 20m of ethernet cable running through the house.

I had exactly the same problem ... now I bought myself a D-Link (I think) PCIe WiFi card with Atheros chipset and external antenas and its rocking. but it ha to be on 802.11n (both) or it won`t be smooth at all...
Reply 73
Okay, here's the deal:
I thought that my download speeds of about 5Mbps (as opposed to the 16 the router claimed) was due to Sky's ****ery. Now it turns out it's the homeplugs I've been using. So I plan to stop using those, but this leaves me with a problem of what to do next. My room is on the opposite side of the house to the master socket where, ideally, the router would be plugged in. I bought an extension cable to move it from the bedroom it was in to the living room so the 802.11b router Sky provided us with reaches my room. Still a bit patchy.

I've bought a 802.11n router which should be here in the next couple of days with a better range/better wireless speed but since I don't have a wireless card in my desktop, I'm pretty screwed if I want decent speeds. Short of buying a 20m ethernet cable and dragging it through the length of the house, what do you guys suggest.

If you put powerline dapters in a surge protected extension cable, you filter the frequencies it uses, reducing throughput. Invest in some new plug-through ones (so you can have ethernet and not lose a socket).
Original post by Tathrim
If you put powerline dapters in a surge protected extension cable, you filter the frequencies it uses, reducing throughput. Invest in some new plug-through ones (so you can have ethernet and not lose a socket).

Both ends are plugged straight into the wall.

I've been advised by the Computer Society at uni to invest in a wireless PCI card, so have done.
Reply 75
Good choice, I was against it as well but with 80.11n it`s betther than ethernet and I am glad that I did
Why do Sky make it so ****ing difficult to do anything?

They provide you with a ****ty 802.11b router, which doesn't cover the house - even when it's right in the middle; don't give you the PPPoA details so you can use your own router (hell, they even put it in the T&Cs that you can't use your own router).

Protip: Don't get Sky broadband.
Why do Sky make it so ****ing difficult to do anything?

They provide you with a ****ty 802.11b router, which doesn't cover the house - even when it's right in the middle; don't give you the PPPoA details so you can use your own router (hell, they even put it in the T&Cs that you can't use your own router).

Protip: Don't get Sky broadband.

I'd take a look at the config of the router. I'd be very, very surprised if that router didn't at least support 802.11G.
Reply 78
Just got offered a job as a junior web developer in Manchester to start ASAP but I can't withdraw from my MEng year until December or I'll be in arrears with uni. >_<
Reply 79
Original post by mikeyd85
I'd take a look at the config of the router. I'd be very, very surprised if that router didn't at least support 802.11G.

If it's one of the dark grey Sagem ones, it does support "g", but has a very low gain internal antenna, so it's next to useless.

Latest

Trending

Trending