The Student Room Group

Should Gay Couples Be Allowed To Marry??????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lewis :D
How would legalising gay marriage give people more rights than straight people? Straight people can marry who they like, right? So c'mon, how is that giving gay people special privileges?

Because it gives gays the right to be unethical and gives them special consideration over other groups who don't have marriage (interfamily, multiple partners etc.)

Original post by mevidek
I see no reason why anybody should interfere with two people (no matter what sexuality) and get in the way of their relationship if they love each other. It's not anybody else's business and doesn't affect them, so why do they care?

But it does affect everyone else. I don't want to walk outside and be bombarded by gay couples. Also it undermines our society by encouraging abnormal and unevolutionary behavior.
Reply 81
Original post by DYKWIA
Because it gives gays the right to be unethical and gives them special consideration over other groups who don't have marriage (interfamily, multiple partners etc.)

But it does affect everyone else. I don't want to walk outside and be bombarded by gay couples. Also it undermines our society by encouraging abnormal and unevolutionary behavior.

That was frankly a **** excuse.
Reply 82
Original post by DYKWIA
I don't like gay marriage.

thats fine, I don't like you. Perhaps you should blame all the straight couples giving birth to gay kids... =]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by DYKWIA

Erm...you do realise that there'll still be the same number of gay people regardless of whether or not they can have their relationships formally recognised, right? :lolwut:

Also, it's estimated that only 10% of the population is gay. In light of this, you're hardly being "bombarded by gay couples", are you? :rolleyes:
Reply 84
OH LAWDY THANK THE MANNN THAT WE BEEN GIVEN CIVIL PARTNERSHIPS.

Marriage is marriage, love is love. If i want to marry a future partner then why the hell shouldn't I?
Reply 85
Just let gay people do whatever they want to do.
Reply 86
Original post by DYKWIA

Unevolutionary behaviour? Please prove your claim.
Reply 87
Original post by Tortious
Erm...you do realise that there'll still be the same number of gay people regardless of whether or not they can have their relationships formally recognised, right? :lolwut:

Also, it's estimated that only 10% of the population is gay. In light of this, you're hardly being "bombarded by gay couples", are you? :rolleyes:

And you want all 10% to be openly gay in public? I don't want that.

Original post by mevidek
Unevolutionary behaviour? Please prove your claim.

Gays can't have kids, yet consume resources and don't contribute to the future workforce. This is not particularly beneficial to society is it?
Reply 88
Original post by DYKWIA

Gays can't have kids, yet consume resources and don't contribute to the future workforce. This is not particularly beneficial to society is it?

'I don't want that' - sorry its not actually all about what you want.

Secondly, the population is near 7 billion, it will only continue to increase, why do we need more of a population increase? I think we have enough of a 'future workforce'. If we didnt have enough now then there would be no such thing as unemployment.
Reply 89
Original post by DYKWIA

Life isn't all about benefits to society.
Reply 90
Original post by maths134
'I don't want that' - sorry its not actually all about what you want.

Secondly, the population is near 7 billion, it will only continue to increase, why do we need more of a population increase? I think we have enough of a 'future workforce'. If we didnt have enough now then there would be no such thing as unemployment.

The population is only increasing rapidly in developing countries. It will level off very soon. Also, many parts of the us are experiencing population decline and whole areas of cities are largely abandoned now. This is because not enough people are having kids, which is just as bad. How do you support the older generation with a much smaller working population.

I'm sorry, but I really don't want gay marriage.
Reply 91
Original post by DYKWIA
The population is only increasing rapidly in developing countries. It will level off very soon. Also, many parts of the us are experiencing population decline and whole areas of cities are largely abandoned now. This is because not enough people are having kids, which is just as bad. How do you support the older generation with a much smaller working population.

Immigration
Reply 92
Original post by DYKWIA

We have grown by 5 billion people in the last 100 years and you think this is going to 'level off'. Its predicted we will hit 10 billion by 2100. Retirement age is increasing, medical ability is increasing as we make new discoveries. We are becoming overpopulated as I said there is huge amounts of unemployment nowadays. If anything people having less children is the answer.
Reply 93
The second definition of "marry/marriage" is to combine something, so to me a gay couple is still married.
But there at least needs to be something better than "civil union/partnership" because that sounds as formal and unemotional as ****.
Reply 94
Original post by maths134
We have grown by 5 billion people in the last 100 years and you think this is going to 'level off'. Its predicted we will hit 10 billion by 2100. Retirement age is increasing, medical ability is increasing as we make new discoveries. We are becoming overpopulated as I said there is huge amounts of unemployment nowadays. If anything people having less children is the answer.

Yes. I do. As countries become educated they have less children in general. As for unemployment, that is BS. If you have less population you have both less people consuming and less people working. A decline in the population would not help anything, especially when space is no issue.

Unpopulated cities are a bad thing though since the lack of a workforce generally means the area is abandoned and left to slumber.

Anyway, we are going off topic. You haven't actually given any good reasons for allowing gays to marry. How can I persuade you people that gay marriage isn't beneficial for the majority?!
absolutely yes!! completely equally too .... my best friend is gay and i hate it when people talk about civil partnerships as though they are of a lower standing ... love it love regardless of whether it is two men, two women or man and a woman

:smile:
Reply 96
Original post by DYKWIA
How can I persuade you people that gay marriage isn't beneficial for the majority?!

Easy. Provide an well reasoned argument backed by evidence, rather than a bunch of random homophobic assertions most of which have been debunked repeatedly over the last 100 years.
Reply 97
Original post by DYKWIA
Yes. I do. As countries become educated they have less children in general. As for unemployment, that is BS. If you have less population you have both less people consuming and less people working. A decline in the population would not help anything, especially when space is no issue.

Unpopulated cities are a bad thing though since the lack of a workforce generally means the area is abandoned and left to slumber.

Anyway, we are going off topic. You haven't actually given any good reasons for allowing gays to marry. How can I persuade you people that gay marriage isn't beneficial for the majority?!

Again, your idea that the population will pan out could be right, however it is not supported by the majority of forecasts being made today by people who know a lot more about it than your good self. The recent UN forecast for example.

Also less people means less competition for jobs therefore less people are left without one? a simple concept to grasp. no?.

You just said 'space is no issue', erm I think you will find it is a HUGE issue right now and one of the greatest things that threatens the human race. As our ability to extend life and fight illness increases then less people die. If we ever find a cure for cancer expect a huge population boom. We are running out of room I assure you of that.

The unpopulated cities are only due to the fact big cities like Paris, London, Hong Kong, New York etc draw people. They don't care how overpopulated the city is.

Now we have that sorted. As it has been said time and time again, equality is a human right and not allowing gay couples to marry is conflicting with their human rights. Your argument of 'the majority' is ridiculous. Just because you so happen to be in the majority doesn't mean you can neglect everyone else, everyone is treated equally regardless of if they are in the minority or not. Do you think that the Nazis were right killing innocent people just because the people they were killing were in the minority? an extreme example but essentially what you are saying.
Reply 98
Original post by leedsmad94
It's subjective really, to me, being gay is just unthinkable. It's hard to put into words, it just feels wrong!

People should be free to have sex with who they like, but have a legal relationship with someone of the same sex just doesn't seem right to me.

To me, being straight is just unthinkable. It's hard to put into words, it just feels wrong!

Seriously, I'm not trying to parody you. The physical aspect isn't really relevant in this context - I fall in love with guys, I can't imagine feeling that way about girls. It makes no sense to me at all.

That being the case, legal recognition of a relationship meeting certain criteria should be universal. If the criterion for that relationship to be recognised is that it's loving, committed, stable and so on, why does the gender of the participants matter?
Reply 99
If they want to yes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending