Turn on thread page Beta

I don't want to stay at university any more watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I am a first year and started to study Maths. I really didn't like it so decided that I would try and change to languages as that's the only other subject I could do. French and Spanish was full so I have had to start Russian. I am now studying Maths and Russian. I wonder whether there is much point in me staying, I am now doing 2 subjects which I don't particularly like. I am finding it difficult to motivate myself into doing the work since I'm really not enjoying it. I will have to go to Russia in a couple of years which is really scaring me. I'm finding the Maths work very difficult and the Russian is ridiculously hard. Is there much point in doing a degree in 2 subjects which you don't even like? The only thing I want to do is start up a cake business, and Russian is not going to help me with that. I felt I had to go to university as I had good grades at a level and everyone would have been disappointed in me if I didn't go. I don't want to be here any longer and miss my job at home. I would rather be earning money right now than spending money I don't have. The problem is that I am enjoying myself apart from the course, but I can't seem to get myself to do the work! I just don't know what to do. If anyone could give me any kind of advice I would be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moolie123)
    Basically I am a first year and started to study Maths. I really didn't like it so decided that I would try and change to languages as that's the only other subject I could do. French and Spanish was full so I have had to start Russian. I am now studying Maths and Russian. I wonder whether there is much point in me staying, I am now doing 2 subjects which I don't particularly like. I am finding it difficult to motivate myself into doing the work since I'm really not enjoying it. I will have to go to Russia in a couple of years which is really scaring me. I'm finding the Maths work very difficult and the Russian is ridiculously hard. Is there much point in doing a degree in 2 subjects which you don't even like? The only thing I want to do is start up a cake business, and Russian is not going to help me with that. I felt I had to go to university as I had good grades at a level and everyone would have been disappointed in me if I didn't go. I don't want to be here any longer and miss my job at home. I would rather be earning money right now than spending money I don't have. The problem is that I am enjoying myself apart from the course, but I can't seem to get myself to do the work! I just don't know what to do. If anyone could give me any kind of advice I would be very grateful
    And I live at Russia all the time. And if I up-rise weight at evening, I feel myself very perfect and nothing seems scary for me where-ever I go.
    I know the history of one millionaire, btw. I have heard it at pub, where I drank beer. He started exactly from cake business. He came to my small town at Moscow Region from Central Asia, hired two grannies who trade cakes at railroad station. Once he met there one American and they had started to cooperate... Now their company has several office buildings, large hotel with couple of restaurants and own building company.
    So Russian is very useful degree.
    May be one day I also will meet such an American at railroad station. :rolleyes: May be, may be...

ReputationRep:
    Drop out and reapply if you're not enjoying it. Then you can go be a baker's apprentice

ReputationRep:
    Here's a bit of interesting trivia: your name means radish in hindi.

Anyway. If you don't like your course, and you can't switch, maybe you should drop out. Are you sure you can't change your course within the uni?

ReputationRep:
    Will you regret it if you pack up and leave?

ReputationRep:
    To me, going to russia sounds fun, though they do some of their maths a little differently there - or so I'm told.

Just ask yourself: Do I really want to study these subjects for the next 3 years, or would I be better dropping out and doing something different next year. Once you've made your decision, wait for one month. If you still feel that way, then that's your answer.

If in doubt, stick with it.

ReputationRep:
    Go talk to your tutor or the uni support services. They may be able to offer you a different course, or helpful study tips - you might find that once you get a pattern of work you like it more. If you really hate it (it's hard to judge these things on the internet) then drop out. Maybe take a year, re-apply for a different course that appeals to you. Liking the life at university is not enough to get you through three years, unless you become massively busy and involved in the students' union.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really not happy here (and can cope with never seeing Gihan again! ) then it's probably best that you talk to your personal tutor and see if it would be better for you to go on and do something else, whether it be a degree or not. Try not to worry that people expect you to be doing a degree, they'd probably be more worried if they knew that you were unhappy here.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.