Turn on thread page Beta

Do I Eat Enough? I don't think I do...(female) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've always been small, so the way I eat or my weight seems healthy to me because I've never made a concious decision to monitor my diet. My eating habits just seem natural to me, but I'd like to know if I eat healthy enough.
    I'm 5ft2, 7 stone, size 6, 32C. I'm pretty small boned. So take this into account when judging.

Today I've eaten/plan to eat:

Breakfast: Chocolate croissant. Tea.

Snack: Banana, glass of milk. (I never used to drink milk that much, but recently I've decided I should drink more).

Lunch: Salami and salad sandwich, tea, crisps.

Snack: I think I had another glass of milk :ninja: and an orange.

Dinner: A bowl of spinach and ricotta tortellini with carbonara sauce. Glass of coke.

I just had a cup of coffee and a chocolate cup cake. I intend to eat another orange, and maybe another packet of crisps as I intend on watching Batman later.

Is it enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    I intend on watching Batman later.
    Awesome !

Now I'm no health buff but thought it you're supposed to eat 'little and often' anyway! Personally I think you eat enough, but you could do with choosing between the choco croissant and one packet crisps instead of having all of those snacks (but replace them with slightly less junk-y snacks.... Salads sound cliche but I'm sure they have more nutritional value then a pack of sensations! I think it'd make you feel like you're eating properly, too) Oh and more meat wouldn't go amiss

Edit**

ReputationRep:
    Hi Sophia,

My name is Steve, a certified Personal Trainer

Is this something you would typically eat on a daily basis?

I would first point out about BREAKFAST!

Many people find it hard to eat in the morning, but its something you need to consider highly. Keeping your metabolism going throughout the day is very important and the morning is when it should kick off.

Everyone is different an therefore we all react to everything in a different way. Knowing what Body Type you have is very important, for example, your body might be more used to eating more carbohydrates then your body does with protein or vice versa.

Tip 1: Always look to improve your breakfast. Its the meal that everyone should have to kick start the day and be healthy. I suggest you consume at least a carbohydrate meal, even something simple as Ready Brek like my girlfriend has lol. This will give you Carbohydrates that give your energy over a longer period of time.

Tip 2: Believe me, I cant even e 100% all the time and I love a good cuppa. If you dont always have a cuppa in the mornings, you can look to make a better alternative such as a home made smoothie. If its not easy to make it, either look for a less sugared altenernative in the shops or maybe make a healthy cereal containing fruits and nuts.

Snacks:
    Looking at your snacks, its great to see you making some good ideas about the fruit. Try and keep the fruit mixed up a bit every now and then and its best to throw in some fibre. For example I would always have something like a small bottle of water, handful of raw almonds and cashew nuts with either an apple or handful of raisins.

I've always been small, so the way I eat or my weight seems healthy to me because I've never made a concious decision to monitor my diet. My eating habits just seem natural to me, but I'd like to know if I eat healthy enough.
    I'm 5ft2, 7 stone, size 6, 32C. I'm pretty small boned. So take this into account when judging.

Lunch:
    Typical lunch for many English people. Try to stay clear of the normal habits and make little changes. Just like ASDA say...

"Every Little Helps"

Firstly, bread is a man made product, meaning it was done by machine and orignally our body to be at its healthiest, should only consider eating raw and natural foods.

I have written a Book on Nutrition and in one of my chapters it's titled...

'What You Think Is Healthy, Isnt Healthy Enough!'

Its hard to eat completely clean here and especially as a student, so if you can go for next best alteneratives such as brown breads, rice, pasta etc, you will be doing much better and the carb load will not hit your sugar levels as it does with white products.

You do lack protein, so I do suggest you try to consume it at least once in your Lunch meal or afternoon meal, however it all depends on your body type and what your goals are.

Junk Food:
    Pretty obvious, but if your wanting to eat healthy or enough eating junk food is not the right thing to do at all. The common MYTH many young people do is thinking if t hey eat a lot of junk food they will gain more weight and its not always the case. Just eating junk food will most likely trigger inner health issues rather than make you bigger.

If you think your too small and want to get a little bigger or put on a little more weight, you need to be eating the rights foods, eat clean and exercise to fully allow your body to grow the way it should. You dont want your fat to grow and cause you health problems down the future so, stay on the right track and you will be fine.

All The Best And Take Care!

ReputationRep:

Is it enough?
    enough for what?

If just health, then the calorie intake varies, if you are a naturally small person then you won't the 'recommended 2000' which is for the 'average uk woman' or in other words, a 60kg woman in her 40's

What is more important is what you eat and how you feel, do you have energy? don't feel tired, etc ...

Just a quick read over your daily intake - far too much sugar, not enough proteins and good fats

ReputationRep:
    Depends how big your portions are but I estimated that to be around 1800 calories which is certainly a good amount (again could have worked that out wrong). Are you very active? It could be that even if you are eating that amount it just isn't enough, or are you actually losing weight? You are light but if you are actually maintaining your weight then you will definitely be eating 'enough', though not necessarily making the best food choices (ie the full sugar coke, choc croissant for your beakfast :P ).

ReputationRep:

Today I've eaten/plan to eat:

Breakfast: Chocolate croissant. Tea.

Snack: Banana, glass of milk. (I never used to drink milk that much, but recently I've decided I should drink more).

Lunch: Salami and salad sandwich, tea, crisps.
    Snack: I think I had another glass of milk :ninja: and an orange.

Dinner: A bowl of spinach and ricotta tortellini with carbonara sauce. Glass of coke.

I just had a cup of coffee and a chocolate cup cake. I intend to eat another orange,
    and maybe another packet of crisps as I intend on watching Batman later.

Is it enough?
    It's a fair amount but a lot if junk! Cut it out swap it for fruit or sth with a similar calorie count that's not too processed like a handful of nuts good luck!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of proportion size for the meals, that doesn't sound too dissimilar from mine.

One thing I might add is that there seems to be a bit of "junk" food - the coke, two packets of crisps, chocolate cup cake and the chocolate croissant. The fruit for snacks is absolutely fine (it's normally what I'd have). Apparently it's good to eat little and often.

In case you'd like to compare with anyone I can tell you mine. I'm 5ft 9 and size 10/12.

Breakfast - bowl of porridge and a cup of tea
    Lunch - today I had a ham sandwich and a banana
    Dinner - Spaghetti Bolognese with orange squash

Snacks - a few cups of tea

Anyway, what you're eating is fine, but maybe change the amount of junk food you consume. As this is based on one day, in general it may be different. Also this is only advice and I may be completely wrong. It's probably best to take the personal trainer's advice more seriously as they know what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Whats with these threads today :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is enough. It actually sounds quite a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Yes, it is enough. It actually sounds quite a lot!
    I agree

You repugnant obese sow. Stop devouring so much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.