Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what's your thoughts ?

ReputationRep:
    Well people will all have different opinions but if I am honest I think there's no set age, or no rough age, everybody is different.

People will say 25, 30, 35 at the latest but it really is different for everybody and some people don't move out for many reasons.

Ill parents
    Lack of funding.
    Saving money for when they meet a partner to move out.

There is loads, I'm not trying to attack the question just saying my view.

My aim is to move out by 30, *looks at economy* will stay and inherit house.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever age it's financially and personally viable.

ReputationRep:
    When you're self-sufficient, though if you're working at a job that isn't a career job (such as jobs typically used for summer etc) then that isn't really self-sufficiency.

I've moved out to go to uni, then when I've graduated and got onto my career ladder I'll move out permanently.. but I guess it's not so clear-cut for people who've not gone into HE, so then my first rule would apply.

On the other hand, if you've been working in the local fish'n'chip or cinema until the age of 24/25, I'd say move out, that's roughly the time people start their own families so it's a good ballpark figure

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd want to move out once I've finished my degree and got a job, so around 24-25

ReputationRep:
    When you can no longer be arsed sacrificing doing what you want because of their authority.

ReputationRep:
    depends, if ur getting a job str8 from school at 18 i'd say by 20 preferably, if ur going to uni then as ur not earning though ur gonna be in halls during term it's acceptable to delay it a bit until you find a job. i'm getting a place with my gf when i graduate aged both 22 next year. i know some people can't find jobs etc and i respect that fact, but really, imo, if you're still living with your parents at 25 you just fail at life and not only that but it aint fair on your parents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PAPAdawg)
    if you're still living with your parents at 25 you just fail at life
    That's a bit harsh!

ReputationRep:
    Never, as long as the arrangement suits both parties. As soon as it becomes a burden two one or both of you, if you still fail to move out, that's when it becomes pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    When you can afford to.

ReputationRep:
    In this economic climate? Never.

ReputationRep:
    Depends when its financially sensible really. No point moving out if you can barely afford it. I'd say around 24-26 is when most people tend to fly the nest.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say mid-twenties at the latest really otherwise you're not really being as independent as you should be, and you're not giving your parents a break either lol.

Having said that, my door will always be open to my kids, no matter how old they are.

I moved out 4 days before my 19th birthday.

ReputationRep:
    i think it depends on the persons circumstances and the kind of relationship you have with parents. i only moved out cos uni was too far away for me to still live at home, but as i have a great relationship with my mum who has basically let me do what i want since i was about 15 then i would still be living at my mums, whereas my sister had a bad relationship with my mum most of the time from that age so she had to move out as soon as possible in order to still have a relationship with mum and before they both drove each other to the point of madness (they get on great now they dont live together).

also it depends on financial situation. if you can afford to live alone then great but for some people its just not financially viable to move out - whether thats cos they really cant afford it, because they are just better off living with parents or are staying put till they get the money together to afford somewhere better of their own.

i dont think you can pinpoint an exact age to move out as it depends on different factors and what is best for everyone involved, and especially with the economic climate the way it is now then its not surprising that people are staying with their parents.

ReputationRep:
    when I have the deposit for a house. No way in hell i'm renting. Just wasted money.

ReputationRep:
    When you want to and when it's viable for you to.

ReputationRep:
    It will vary from person to person, but as a general guide I would say that if you go to uni you live in the parental home during the holidays and then move out permanently after graduating, possibly staying in the same flat/houseshare you had during your degree. Then you move out of that either when you get serious with a partner and move in with them, or the others in the group do and therefore move out (unless this happens early on, then find new flatmates/move to smaller property).

For those not going to uni I would probably say that once you get into a full-time job and can afford to (not straight away, but not too long after), unless you haven't reached this point by about 30.

ReputationRep:
    I was a few months after turning 17.

ReputationRep:
    I'd want to be self-sufficient and able to live away from my parents etc. once I've left university, meaning I haven't properly lived with them since the age of 19, but whether that'll happen or not we'll have to see. I'll be 23 when I finish University, and am considering a Masters, so definitely need to think about money. We'll just have to see what happens. In response to the question directly, though, I wouldn't say there's a 'right' age per se - completely depends on what works for the individual.

ReputationRep:
    Surprised at the response on here, I'd assume people would say earlier.

For me, I really wouldn't like to be living at home 21+. I'd be a bit embarrassed, purely because I like to think of myself as independent and I also really want to travel. I'd feel a bit of a burden on my mother too.
    I don't have a problem with people who do stay longer though, I understand why some do. Unless you're starting to creep towards 30.
    Then I can't help but think of Howard from The Big Bang Theory.
    So ideally, at 25+ you should start thinking about getting your own place.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.