Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I started going to the gym months ago to drop a dress size and inches off the thighs but it hasnt been very successful. My legs are becoming a problem!Initially I started using the leg press but soon realised that was only creating muscle instead of burning the fat. Over the past month I have been doing a lot of cardio, mainly bike and cross trainer, but likewise, instead of burning fat and decreasing the size of my quads and calves my muscles are growing rapidly! Now my legs are pretty firm (even when not tensed) but look quite chunky - which is so not attractive on a girl.

How can I lose fat on my legs (or just decrease their size) but without forming a lot of muscle?

ReputationRep:
    walking, it definitely helps a lot``` keep walking 1h/d, you'll see the big changes. i walks to my office every day, and keeps fit unconsciously ```

ReputationRep:
    You can't burn fat from just one area of your body, so you'll have to lose weight across the board if you want to lose fat.

To lose muscle mass you'll have to use the muscles less, whilst still doing enough exercise to avoid putting on any fat.

ReputationRep:
    I know i'll be negged and attacked for this but i don't care. I'm afraid it will have to be a diet.

I made a lifestyle change in terms of diet and that's how I lost weight and didn't build muscle. My sister on the other hand did loads of running and training but all she became was muscular.

By diet change I don't mean starve yourself or eat atkins style but maybe choose low GI foods, drink loads of water and walk a lot. I now have very slim legs and a tiny waist.

ReputationRep:
    A diet would be only half the story, i'd put more emphassis on the walking/slower moving to faster jogging/running over time as this can tone your legs without going overboard or making huge thighs which cycling could do if you overdo it

running also has the advantage of working your arms slightly at the same time and strengthens your body in general, but don't run too far or fast to begin with as you could injure yourself or build too much muscle.

ReputationRep:
    You're a girl who wants to lose weight but without adding muscle - the answer is Zumba.

Basically you want carido without working your leg muscles too much. Go dance.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want very slim legs? shapely and lean legs is the way forward. Guys like curves, not fat curves, but nice muscular curves....but obviously not stupidly muscular which you could never get without steroids or some seriously ridiculous dedication.

ReputationRep:
    No offense but most women say they are putting on muscle when in reality they are not, aside from which a lot of men would not mind a woman who is on the muscular side (only when you get into body builder territory that it looks bad).

The advise from people above is correct, eat in the 1500-1800 range (assuming your an average woman) and do cardio or core related exercises (rowing may be good along with crunches). This will cut your body fat while improving your body and not add significant muscle to your legs.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but I highly doubt your leg muscles are "growing rapidly" from only doing cardio. You probably just decreased your body fat so they feel firmer! To lose fat on your legs without building muscle just carry on doing cardio whilst eating a deficit and you'll burn fat. Bear in mind that if you lack muscle you won't get a "toned" look though, e.g.:

I don't know how many people in the world would say she's unattractive.

ReputationRep:
    Squats psych me into thinking my legs are getting firmer. :P But walking, defnitely. cant want for uni where we'd be dependent on our legs and little else. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    No offence, but I highly doubt your leg muscles are "growing rapidly" from only doing cardio.
    Seconded. You're probably only noticing a huge contrast because of fat loss - possibly even more defined muscles if they were present before you began, which to you seem far more obvious when compared to the state your legs were in prior to all the cardio.

Anyway, there's a reason why cardio is notorious for weight loss, not muscle gain. I'm no expert on weight training by any means, but I am a huge fan of running and if I recall correctly, cardio training is more likely to break down and burn muscle if done to an intense degree, whereas weight training.. Well, it obviously builds it. Because of the two being on opposite ends of the spectrum, I highly doubt you're getting overly beefed up legs from your current exercise regime.

--Edited: Also, @Becca: Cannot express just how jealous I am of your current location.

ReputationRep:
    This will sound obvious, but if you decide to dramatically increase your cardio workout, make sure you increase your food intake! Otherwise, there will be dire results :sigh: (speaking from experience here).

ReputationRep:
    Jogging will slim you down. Especially not the faster kind, but slow looong runs

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with all the you can't be building muscle comments. I've lost just short of 4 stone. In my younger days I did a lot of cycling and have always said under all the fat I had good muscle tone. I exercise 5 times a week and pretty much stick to the rule of low resistance more movement. I usually burn around 600 calories in the gym via 25-30 minutes on the treadmill with low incline. 30 min on cross trainer on setting 5. 10 minutes on the rower on the highest setting ( I wouldn't mind more arm muscle) and 10 mins on the hand bike. Fridays and the weekend sometimes I do the gym routine and finish with a 30 minute swim. Anyways I can felx every muscle in my legs. They are certainly not loosing size at the same rate as the rest of my body. They look and feel bulkier and I hate it. I've lost all this weight and hate wearing anything tight on my legs because of their size. I have no cellulite and they don't look fatty just big. How do I continue exercise without my legs keep bulking up?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Swalesa1)
    I don't agree with all the you can't be building muscle comments. I've lost just short of 4 stone. In my younger days I did a lot of cycling and have always said under all the fat I had good muscle tone. I exercise 5 times a week and pretty much stick to the rule of low resistance more movement. I usually burn around 600 calories in the gym via 25-30 minutes on the treadmill with low incline. 30 min on cross trainer on setting 5. 10 minutes on the rower on the highest setting ( I wouldn't mind more arm muscle) and 10 mins on the hand bike. Fridays and the weekend sometimes I do the gym routine and finish with a 30 minute swim. Anyways I can felx every muscle in my legs. They are certainly not loosing size at the same rate as the rest of my body. They look and feel bulkier and I hate it. I've lost all this weight and hate wearing anything tight on my legs because of their size. I have no cellulite and they don't look fatty just big. How do I continue exercise without my legs keep bulking up?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lana-90)
    Right, so I started going to the gym months ago to drop a dress size and inches off the thighs but it hasnt been very successful. My legs are becoming a problem!Initially I started using the leg press but soon realised that was only creating muscle instead of burning the fat. Over the past month I have been doing a lot of cardio, mainly bike and cross trainer, but likewise, instead of burning fat and decreasing the size of my quads and calves my muscles are growing rapidly! Now my legs are pretty firm (even when not tensed) but look quite chunky - which is so not attractive on a girl.

How can I lose fat on my legs (or just decrease their size) but without forming a lot of muscle?
    Just so you know you and everyone else knows, you cannot (based on evidence) use area specific exercises to target specific fat deposits.

This concept is known as spot reduction; evidence for this is explored in this video, Spot Reduction: Myth or Reality?

Which makes a good point, I should post this somewhere on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    You can't spot reduce fat. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat at a calorie deficit.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what guys like as long as people feel comfortable in their own body. Having excess fat feels gross
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by justheretoroastu)
    Who cares what guys like as long as people feel comfortable in their own body. Having excess fat feels gross
    How did you find this thread and why did you sign up just to post that???

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean. I've always wanted to lose fat on my legs, and luckily I was able to do so by focusing on a eating small meals frequently and skipping heavy weight training. It's also great to have fruits an vegetables on your diet, and do a lot of jogging.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.