The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
sorry 1 more question...should i make notes from main ocr textbook or do you ALSO take notes from good revision guides?? hav to improve my grade..maybe it was my exam technique :/ help anyone?!!
Reply 2101
why the neg reps stupid idiots..what did i say wrong???
Original post by Raj K
hi! for those who got A/A* for ocr biology unit 4..did you answer every question in the ocr main textbook as well as do past papers?? im retaking this to hopefully get an A :/

I got 83/90 UMS and was actually so surprised when I saw that as I thought some of that exam was really hard such as the stuff about the beads :confused:
TBH I didn't use the questions in the book, I just made notes from the book and did all the past exam questions I could get my hands on. I also went to the other classes lessons for like a fortnight before to help me get double revision which I found really useful, maybe you could ask about that at your school?
Good luck for the retake :smile:
I got 79/90 UMS (totally made up for my fail of a chem grade)
As well as answering whatever exam questions possible, we did study group style things at my school, where we quizzed each other and worked through the harder stuff together (One of our teachers for most of this module was terrible, she was eventually encouraged to leave due to the complaints :frown: )
Also, if you have any travel time, make flashcards - I went through loads on my busses ^.^
Good luck !
Original post by Raj K
hi! for those who got A/A* for ocr biology unit 4..did you answer every question in the ocr main textbook as well as do past papers?? im retaking this to hopefully get an A :/

I did every question in the book, all the practice / exam questions etc.

As far as past papers go, I made up my own for each topic. For example, if I was revising respiration, I'd trawl through all the available papers (past papers / previous spec etc) and make my own mini past paper that just covers the topic I was revising.
Reply 2105
Original post by katiehockey22
I got 83/90 UMS and was actually so surprised when I saw that as I thought some of that exam was really hard such as the stuff about the beads :confused:
TBH I didn't use the questions in the book, I just made notes from the book and did all the past exam questions I could get my hands on. I also went to the other classes lessons for like a fortnight before to help me get double revision which I found really useful, maybe you could ask about that at your school?
Good luck for the retake :smile:

thanks for your reply! :biggrin: did you make notes from the thick main ocr textbook..nothing else?? like no revision guides or did you just stick to that one? and you know when you do past papers do you memorise the mark schemes..like what if you get a question wrong do you look at the mark scheme then..and then how do you make sure you remember it next time? it's like they can ask you anything like with the synoptic questions which i find quite difficult! i memorised the mark schemes which is quite bad i think as every question is different! :/ congrats for the great grade..you're so clever..wish i got the same! :/
Reply 2106
Original post by TattyBoJangles
I did every question in the book, all the practice / exam questions etc.

As far as past papers go, I made up my own for each topic. For example, if I was revising respiration, I'd trawl through all the available papers (past papers / previous spec etc) and make my own mini past paper that just covers the topic I was revising.

thanks for your reply! :biggrin: ohh so you did it section by section..as in each different chapter? do you do that for all your subjects? like for example if you do maths or chemistry???thanksss
Original post by Raj K
thanks for your reply! :biggrin: did you make notes from the thick main ocr textbook..nothing else?? like no revision guides or did you just stick to that one? and you know when you do past papers do you memorise the mark schemes..like what if you get a question wrong do you look at the mark scheme then..and then how do you make sure you remember it next time? it's like they can ask you anything like with the synoptic questions which i find quite difficult! i memorised the mark schemes which is quite bad i think as every question is different! :/ congrats for the great grade..you're so clever..wish i got the same! :/

I'm not normally that clever lol my as total was 245, so only 5 marks into an A! But wish my chemistry was as good as my biology :/ I just kept going through the past papers. I read the CGP revision guide the 7 nights (I had 7 days between most of my Jan exams, but know this is probs not the case in the summer) before along with my own notes. I think you have to try a number of strategies and then find the best for you.
Reply 2108
Original post by katiehockey22
I'm not normally that clever lol my as total was 245, so only 5 marks into an A! But wish my chemistry was as good as my biology :/ I just kept going through the past papers. I read the CGP revision guide the 7 nights (I had 7 days between most of my Jan exams, but know this is probs not the case in the summer) before along with my own notes. I think you have to try a number of strategies and then find the best for you.

you are clever! what did you get for chemistry..i thought cgp didnt help lol because i thought it was less detailed..but ok i'll use that too..but i dont get that i did do loads of past papers :/ and still didnt get the result i wanted. sorry for my moaning lol..thanks for your help ! :biggrin:
Got a high B in this, really pleased seeing as I taught myself and last year when I took it at college I got a U. So yeah, if anyone's in doubt that they can't retake exams and do it alone/independently, you can do it. :biggrin: Bit of a shame that all the C's I got in the first year won't even it out though :/
I got a good A and I just did standard revision because I had 7 other exams and didn't have enough time to revise for F214, but when i revised for it i learnt ALL of the key words off by heart. This is OCR, they make the worst papers for biology, but to get the top marks, you must use the key words.. usually the random bold ones throughout the text book

There is no use writing an essay as an answer because all though it may be correct, if it doesn't get straight to the point with key terms, you get few marks.. like that first question on controlling blood glucose levels, i know people who only got about 3/4 marks out of 8 because they didnt use key terms..

keep doing past papers over and over, not so that you learn the F214 content.. but so that you get used to the way ocr papers ask questions, and the way they are marked.
Reply 2111
Does anyone have june 2012 f214 pleaseeeeeee
Original post by undertaker1
Ok guys, I failed miserably in june. I guess it was a lack of preparation. However I am now on my third year and want to achieve an A*. (i assumed ocr love plants and loads of questions on photosynthesis will come up!!!) They definitely proved me wrong.
So for January I thought I’d start my revision early.
How’s everyone else finding it so far?

If anyone has any other additional useful resources for F214 please feel free to share. So far i have found http://www.youtube.com/user/OCRBiologyAS#g/c/64BC58EC5F01F01A

wow great link!! life-saver

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending