The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F324 Rings, Polymers and Analysis Thu 26 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by atman7

Original post by atman7
Why is ethanol used as a solvent for the nucleophillic substitution of a halogenoalkane for the Amine group? I know the NH3 is in excess to prevent further substitution. But whats the purpose of Ethanol?

all i know is the nh3 is dissolved in the ethanol sorry :smile:
Original post by atman7
Why is ethanol used as a solvent for the nucleophillic substitution of a halogenoalkane for the Amine group? I know the NH3 is in excess to prevent further substitution. But whats the purpose of Ethanol?

Interested to know that as well..quote me if you found out :smile:
Reply 662
Original post by faz_341
all i know is the nh3 is dissolved in the ethanol sorry :smile:

Original post by arvin_infinity
Interested to know that as well..quote me if you found out :smile:

Just found out after a quick google Ethanol is the alternative solvent used because if water is used it'll lead to hydrolysis occurring.

thats the source http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=25qJbzc1wMEC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=why+ethanol+used+as+solvent+in+nucleophilic+substitution+of+halogenoalkane+for+amine&source=bl&ots=UXuWyFigAS&sig=YGweDI7-BbUPa1IxaU0APvR_Uvk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VKYgT-LQCsnq8QPYx43gBw&ved=0CF4Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=why%20ethanol%20used%20as%20solvent%20in%20nucleophilic%20substitution%20of%20halogenoalkane%20for%20amine&f=false
Reply 663
whos doing all nighter? I have no choice I wont be sleeping even if I try!
I'm doing some questions at the moment...
Reply 665
Original post by 079
whos doing all nighter? I have no choice I wont be sleeping even if I try!

My sleeping patterns are messed up anyways and I only woke up few hours ago so I'll be doing the same as you :smile:
Reply 666
Original post by atman7

Original post by atman7
My sleeping patterns are messed up anyways and I only woke up few hours ago so I'll be doing the same as you :smile:

Meh, in the same boat...lol
Just woke up guys. Revision time :biggrin:
Reply 668
Original post by atman7

renewable?
Reply 669
Original post by Kisskoli
renewable?

Its actually cause using Water will cause hydroylsis to happen and the ethanol is just an alternative to use.
Original post by Kisskoli
renewable?

Definition of adsorption ?! the one is book is so complicated..wondered if someone explain it or has a better definition !!

+rep
Reply 671
Definition of adsorption ?! the one is book is so complicated..wondered if someone explain it or has a better definition !!

+rep

when something in the solid/gas attaches to a solid/ film

+rep

When the liquid or solid is sticking towards the solid surface

I really don't want NMR to come up :frown:
Reply 673
Morning all :smile: what can be the benefits of using a catalyst which compounds adsorb to?
Original post by Stevo F
Morning all :smile: what can be the benefits of using a catalyst which compounds adsorb to?

Isn't it because it's not used up and can be regenerated? That's the only property I can think of that is useful for them in this context
Original post by Oromis263
No mistake, I was just sharing a little something that I've found has stuck in my head :smile:

Haha oh cool :smile: well all the best for the exam anyway! :smile:
Hello all :smile:

I was wondering if someone could help me, im just a bit confused on chromotography, is it:
Tlc- seperates by Adsorption and Gc- seperates by relative solubility?
Reply 677
Original post by LifeIsGood
Isn't it because it's not used up and can be regenerated? That's the only property I can think of that is useful for them in this context

no that's a property of any catalyst, that its not used up, a bonus with "fixed" catalysts that compounds adsorb to is that one of the reactants is held in place in the correct orientation for reaction, therefore rate of reaction increases further. Also, they can be used to make only 1 optical isomer (due to 1 being held in place much like how enzymes work) if there are more than 1 which can be useful for many reasons. :smile:
Reply 678
Original post by Hullabaloo2803
Hello all :smile:

I was wondering if someone could help me, im just a bit confused on chromotography, is it:
Tlc- seperates by Adsorption and Gc- seperates by relative solubility?

almost.. all types of chromatography other than G/L seperate by adsorption, G/L seperates by boiling point and solubility, the greater the solubility the longer the retention time and the greater the boiling point the longer the retention time :smile:
Original post by Stevo F
no that's a property of any catalyst, that its not used up, a bonus with "fixed" catalysts that compounds adsorb to is that one of the reactants is held in place in the correct orientation for reaction, therefore rate of reaction increases further. Also, they can be used to make only 1 optical isomer (due to 1 being held in place much like how enzymes work) if there are more than 1 which can be useful for many reasons. :smile:

Ah ok thanks! Learnt something new :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending