The Student Room Group

Bread and butter

How do you butter bread without it tearing? I have only recently started making and eating sandwiches and and finding this really hard. Anyone got any genius methods of buttering bread without tearing it.
If someone could come up with an answer to this I'd marry them!

Butter is a pain in winter, even if you keep it out of the fridge it's still too hard to spread.

However I refuse point blank to use some kind of faux butter spread, I'd rather have torn bread!
I have Lurpak lighter so it's easier to spread :smile:
Reply 3
I worked out an answer for this. :smug:

Get a lump of butter, slice it into wedges, leave it for a minute and spread it.

Works. Every. Time.

No more shall I find the last piece of bread that's not an end-load slice, apply butter and blow the bread into a thousand pieces doing so!
Reply 4
Microwave it a bit? Not sure..
I always get the butter out before I need it and then smear it about a bit with the knife so that it's pretty soft.

It does help if you buy butter that spreads well and bread that is less likely to tear - stupid point, but some brands are particular bad for this :unimpressed:
Reply 6
Just use a hot knife...
Get spreadable butter, or muke it a bit so it spreads better. Or heat the knife up with hot water.
It's because the butter is cold and hard, use a hot knife to spread it.
Blast it in the microwave for a few seconds, leave it out of the fridge for a short while before attempting to spread it or just use good 'ole margarine (goodness knows why, but it always seems to be easier to spread than butter). :tongue:
Lurpak all the way, I converted my 'there's no way on God's green earth I'm not eating real butter' Dad onto Lurpak spreadable due to its inherent spreadability. Then I managed to get him onto Lurpak lighter because it tastes identical. My mum's been trying to get him onto 'healthier' spread for about 10 years. In her face :p:
Reply 11
Rep for the hot knife comment.

My top tip? Sounds stupid but it works. Boil the kettle. As it gets to bubbling point, hold the butter and your knife over the steam. The exterior of the butter and the knife will get warm/soft enough to spread perfectly without it going that "microwave zapped" oily way.
Original post by scribble_girl
Lurpak all the way, I converted my 'there's no way on God's green earth I'm not eating real butter' Dad onto Lurpak spreadable due to its inherent spreadability. Then I managed to get him onto Lurpak lighter because it tastes identical. My mum's been trying to get him onto 'healthier' spread for about 10 years. In her face :p:

I love Lurpak, but my boyfriend says it is too expensive so he gets the Tesco own version which is called Butterpak, its not as nice.
Original post by hippieglitter
I love Lurpak, but my boyfriend says it is too expensive so he gets the Tesco own version which is called Butterpak, its not as nice.

Yeah - must admit that I alternate between Lurpak and Butterpak depending on when it is in the month and how close to payday it is!
Reply 14
Wow, nobody knows what a butter dish is?

If you buy blocks of butter, you keep it in a butter dish outside of the fridge. Alternately, put a bowl on top of a small plate, and put it under that. That's what I did when I was at uni. Actually in the summer I used to keep only half a block in the dish at a time, since it was only me using it (housemates had some nasty crap).
Reply 15
Either use spreadable butter, or mush it around with a knife before you apply it to the bread.
Reply 16
Not being funny, but you've only just started making sandwiches?! =o
Reply 17
i butter my bread using a spoon.

Nope, it doesn't help but I thought it was an interesting fact
Toast it for about a minute
Reply 19
One of those mayo scoops is FAB, I work in a kitchen and the chef taught me this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest