Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Kinda stuck on this question if anyone cares to help. Its question 1B

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_11...n_gce_g484.pdf

It states that the air is in the shape of a cylinder of radius 5m.
    i) The volume of air will be the volume of the cylinder. (You must know the formula).
    Mass of air = density x volume.
    For the length of the cylinder; the length of the column of air created in 5 seconds at a speed of 12 m/s is....?
    ii) momentum = mv
    iii) force is change of momentum per second
    iv) this force must balance the weight of the 'copter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stonebridge)
    It states that the air is in the shape of a cylinder of radius 5m.
    i) The volume of air will be the volume of the cylinder. (You must know the formula).
    Mass of air = density x volume.
    For the length of the cylinder; the length of the column of air created in 5 seconds at a speed of 12 m/s is....?
    ii) momentum = mv
    iii) force is change of momentum per second
    iv) this force must balance the weight of the 'copter
    Thanks very much, I did understand it was a column of air and was using volume formula but I was confused about how to find out height. simple things like displacement=Vt are the things I sometimes forget

ReputationRep:
    When they ask you to calculate the change in momentum of a car during a impact, why is it we cannot just work out the P(before) and P(after) and take it away to get the correct answer?

(Original post by Jetblast)
    When they ask you to calculate the change in momentum of a car during a impact, why is it we cannot just work out the P(before) and P(after) and take it away to get the correct answer?
    Well, change in momentum is momentum after minus momentum before, so you will need to give more information about why this is not allowed.
    If two cars are in collision, although individually their momentum will change, the total momentum (sum of both cars) remains constant.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 27, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.