Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reliable website/software to do this at home?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bummp!

ReputationRep:
    bump this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuffme)
    Is there a reliable website/software to do this at home?

Thanks

bummp!

(Original post by geohard)
    bump this.
    I used this and it seems fairly accurate.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

You need to measure your Height, Weight, Waist (Different part of waist for Male and Female), Neck and Hips (If female).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    I used this and it seems fairly accurate.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Thanks

sorry if I sound stupid but where do I measure my waist from? like where the belly button is above the hips?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

sorry if I sound stupid but where do I measure my waist from? like where the belly button is above the hips?
    For Females it says at the narrowest part, so above the belly button I think?

ReputationRep:
    For Females it says at the narrowest part, so above the belly button I think?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    Did you try it? If so, did you think it was accurate? Just want to compare

ReputationRep:
    can't find my measuring tape :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Just go off the mirror...your bodyfat levels don't matter.

ReputationRep:
    It looks fairly accurate.

While i have calculated my BMI before, i have not calculated my BFP before.

That being said, i am 6'4, 289lb, neck of 16 (i think) and waist of under 50 (may have been hips as despite being a male, my tyre is round my hips and my jeans are 42).

Based on this it gave me a BMI of 35 (close enougth) and a BFP of 37.1%.

It also says that i am 84.9lb overweight (about right considering i have had varying statements of 13-15 stone for my height) and that i have 180lb of lean mass (if that is the case then i have put on a lot of muscle under my fat because i was about 160lb at 17 and very skinny - now 22).

I'd say that it is fairly close although without proper measurements it is probably giving me higher readings than i actually am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    Just go off the mirror...your bodyfat levels don't matter.
    Why in the sweet god would you think bodyfat% wouldnt matter . . . .. I could understand if you said weight or BMI . . . but bodyfat% is the one thing that does matter

Also OP no website can give you a truly accurate reading, i would suggest calipers as the most accurate way of doing it unless you want to go all out and get your bodyfat tested in water (forgot the name of it )

ReputationRep:
    I just tried the website for interests sake and it was accurate to within 2% in my case.
    I know my body fat as of 3 days ago because it was measured for a Biology Laboratory.
    Pretty impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eagleowl)
    I just tried the website for interests sake and it was accurate to within 2% in my case.
    I know my body fat as of 3 days ago because it was measured for a Biology Laboratory.
    Pretty impressive.
    What are your stats then?

Curiosity made me kill the cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    What are your stats then?

Curiosity made me kill the cat.
    Average body fat for a girl is approx 25%.
    And I'm about average if you really wanna know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evertn4lif)
    Why in the sweet god would you think bodyfat% wouldnt matter . . . .. I could understand if you said weight or BMI . . . but bodyfat% is the one thing that does matter

Also OP no website can give you a truly accurate reading, i would suggest calipers as the most accurate way of doing it unless you want to go all out and get your bodyfat tested in water (forgot the name of it )
    Because I assume she's training to look better, once she's happy with what she sees in the mirror what does an inaccurate bodyfat% measurement really matter?

Realistically they mean very little apart from to actual competitive bodybuilders. Usually you train for a sport and weight matters to make a weight class or to improve power to weight ratio or you train to look better and going off the mirror is what counts. Bodyfat% are pretty pointless and I don't know why everyone is so bothered about them.

ReputationRep:
    Because I assume she's training to look better, once she's happy with what she sees in the mirror what does an inaccurate bodyfat% measurement really matter?

Realistically they mean very little apart from to actual competitive bodybuilders. Usually you train for a sport and weight matters to make a weight class or to improve power to weight ratio or you train to look better and going off the mirror is what counts. Bodyfat% are pretty pointless and I don't know why everyone is so bothered about them.
    Let me think, say there is a guy with 30% bodyfat but he looks slim with clothes on, so he looks in the mirror and think "im slim so obviously im healthy" But guess what, he is not healthy, he is actualy very unhealthy, that is why bodyfat % is important my friend, its not just about how you look

ReputationRep:
    Let me think, say there is a guy with 30% bodyfat but he looks slim with clothes on, so he looks in the mirror and think "im slim so obviously im healthy" But guess what, he is not healthy, he is actualy very unhealthy, that is why bodyfat % is important my friend, its not just about how you look
    Well that was the worst example and reason ever...congratulations.

No one would look slim at 30% bodyfat and what has whilst wearing clothes got to do with anything. I'm pretty sure most people train to look better out of clothes. Looking in good shape in clothes is actually very easy and pretty common, most people look terrible without clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was the worse example and reason ever...congratulations.

No one would look slim at 30% bodyfat and what has whilst wearing clothes got to do with anything. I'm pretty sure most people train to look better out of clothes. Looking in good shape in clothes is actually very easy and pretty common, most people look terrible without clothes.
    no1 would look slim at 30% bodyfat???? its called skinnyfat you tard

ReputationRep:
    no1 would look slim at 30% bodyfat???? its called skinnyfat you tard
    That's just plain fat. Well for a male.

I think it's great you're learning all these buzz words and you're getting really involved in helping people, but it doesn't make anything you say worthwhile.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.