Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have already got alot of work experience, but I am predicted AABB and I have been rejected this year by Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool. I am going to apply again in Sep this year but i was wondering if anyone knew what i should be doing to stand out and make up for my poor grades.

ReputationRep:
    What else have you done etc etc. What subject are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    What grades do you need for vet sciece, - isent it just AAB? Perhaps you didn't come across well in your personal statment, they're looking for enthusiasm as well as the amount of work experience. Did you put down many extra-cirricular activites too? that often helps candidates stand out.

ReputationRep:
    hello. i applied for vet sci/med myself this year so i know how hard it is to get in. please dont call your grades bad! aabb is not bad-its very good in the real world, but vet admissions tutor can afford to ask for whatever they like as there are so many applicants. dont beat yourself up about your grades, just try to work as hard as possible, because as long as you get aab you have a chance if you reapply. u didnt mention what subjects u r taking-maybe they could be y u didnt get in? u need chem and bio, and most people iv talked to at interviews also had maths or physics. (im doing maths, chem, bio). also, if u can get some unusual work exp that will catch the admissions guys eye that might help. i think they look for variety as well as quantity.hope this helps, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    my friend was predicted AAAB (got aabb) and was rejected from ALL her unis for vet med, she had also been working in a vets for 2 years as work experience!! She's now doing vet science and is going to convert to vet med after as becoming a vet is all she desperatly wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know, out of interest as this is my chosen career and I was told this by my headteacher, that there are other ways of becoming a vet than just getting straight into university to Veterinary Science (D100 UCAS)?

You can take Zoology, or a new subject Bioveterinary Science, both of which are three year courses and come out with a BSc in either of those subjects. You can then apply to study Veterinary Science where you will study four three (or four) years, rather than five. The typical offer of A Levels are BBC/BBB or above with Biology to get onto each of these courses. This is just another way, longer, but you don't need to have your string of A's - this doesn't mean you shouldn't work your butt off. I have contacted the dept. of Zoology at Liverpool university and this is confirmed.

Universities don't just look for two years work experience in one Veterinary Practice, they look for four weeks minimum, which should be two weeks in two different practices, farm work, abbatoir work, work with birds, zoo work, pet shop etc. Obviously you don't need to do all of this but a varied list of work experience placements are essential as it shows you are dedicated and determined - and you have an idea of what the course involves.

AABB is absolutely fantastic, Dom, but do you have all the work experience, and, did you interview well? Those of you who haven't had an interview (like myself, I have a friend who was rejected from Bristol, but just got into Liverpool ) should know that they ask a variety of questions, for example, they will ask for your opinion on animal rights issues such as animal testing, tail docking etc. and will ask about things such as mastitis in ewes or cows, foot and mouth, BSE etc, etc. The list is endless. This shows that you know about current issues and the news. For example, this years crisis with cat TB.

Hope this helps. I haven't started my AS Levels yet, but I've done a heck of a lot of research into universities and work experience. Just don't give up, you can get there eventually.

Laura x

ReputationRep:
    re work experience the expectations vary from uni to uni. Liverpool seem to like lots. Cam, Britol and RVC don't seem to mind less, a variation in the type of experience is useful.

With the predicted grades you have its possible that some unis will not offer, lets hope you exceed expectations and when you reapply things should be better.

Its hard to guage where offers will come from, I was rejected by Bristol after interview, rejected by Edin without interview, but received offers from Cam (AAA) and RVC (AAB).

ReputationRep:
    You need to remember that if you do a degree first then apply to vet med you will be a graduate, and so will have to pay graduate fees. At the moment they are about £14,000 a year i think (!!!), so unless you are a millionaire...lol!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.