The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xotol
So does that mean it's updated to the new specifications? Is it for all exam boards as well?

I just looked it and it seems pretty old, but I might buy it. More practice can't hurt. :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Physics-Tim-Akrill/dp/1444121251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319963296&sr=8-1

This was brought out this year. The old one was fine for me anyway, though as the calculations for A Level appear to have been pretty constant. I bet that one is even better!
Original post by subzero0137
Excellent tips. I'm doing the A2 Edexcel exams as well. Unfortunately I did terrible at AS(got 2 D's). Nevertheless I'm going to work harder this time. I was wondering if you could list the 4 book you mentioned in tip 1.

Thanks mate, you've given me hope!

Original post by Nehal:)
Thank you :') Just wondering, what are the books the books that you mentioned :smile:? I have Two ones the AQA one and ones a Letts guide, I think maybe getting another will give me information in a different way, but i'm not sure what one i should get >.<

For AS edexcel I highly recommend the hodder education book, a small investment but will yield high returns when used correctly. I use the same hodder book for A2, plus the standard recommended edexcel book which I think it's a lot better than the one recommended at AS.
I always borrow "Physics: For advanced levels" from my local library. This one costs around £40 but provides lots of examples, experiments and explains concepts in a more basic way.
Original post by TheUltimateProof
For AS edexcel I highly recommend the hodder education book, a small investment but will yield high returns when used correctly. I use the same hodder book for A2, plus the standard recommended edexcel book which I think it's a lot better than the one recommended at AS.
I always borrow "Physics: For advanced levels" from my local library. This one costs around £40 but provides lots of examples, experiments and explains concepts in a more basic way.

Hodder education book? Did you mean this: http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Title/9780340948262/Edexcel_AS_Physics_Student_Unit_Guide_Unit_1_Physics_on_the_Go.htm

?
Reply 23
Original post by Nehal:)
Thank you :smile: I don't think i'm quite there yet, I still don't have a good grasp of the information. I'm finding it really hard to just understand it and make it make sense in my head. I also think I'm missing quite a lot of basic physics knowledge :s-smilie: I'm not quite sure what but i feel like ive got gaps. Like what symbols mean, units, and that kind of stuff. I'm quite an adaptable learner and usually find what's the best for the individual subject, but i just cant find anything that works for physics- my notes are very bare, i have no understanding to do exam questions (i've tried) and so on :/ I feel quite lost and really don't like it >.< what other ways are there to learn and cover the bulk information, just so then I can start to get an understanding- cause even reading isn't working for me :/ do you think copying out of the book would do anything?

Try using a head-start bridging the gap book like this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Start-Physics-Richard-Parsons/dp/1847621155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320078768&sr=8-1
They're really useful for filling in the gaps between GCSE and AS

No not that one, but that one is good as it provides thorough analysis of tough exam questions

This is the book I spoke of, would recommend it 200% for AS and if you got the money the A2 one is decent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Physics-AS-Advanced/dp/0340888024/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320083935&sr=8-2
Sorry to but in - anyone who did Math AS, Phys, Econ, Graphics AS - two years ago? Please notify me.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
practice the **** out of any past papers you can get your hands on. That got me through A-level and 4 years of uni physics.

also, google hyperphysics. That website is just what you need.

All of these have very good advice. Thanks a lot guys! I'm currently doing OCR AS LEVEL PHYSICS and I plan to review my textbook, revision guide, notes, test myself on everything, practice past paper questions grouped by topics and then full papers. It is a bit hard for me as at school the way the timetabling works I have 2 physics teachers. one is great and one is bad. So I motivate myself to make sure I understand all of the topics, experiments and theory. I make sure to do loads of past papers and compare the mark schemes to see exactly what the examiners are looking for. I do these techniques for OCR AS LEVEL CHEMISTRY as well. I also do maths. Thanks again everyone this was all really helpful!:biggrin:
Can you please share the AS experiments please, I do Edexcel AS Level Physics too and i'm kinda struggling :frown:
We play physics wordle, that really helps!

Latest