Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15486792

Margaret Thatcher has claimed £535,000 of taxpayers money over the last 5 years.

Also, ex PM John Major and Tony Blair have also claimed money, years after leaving office.

In the past five years, the three former number 10 incumbents have cost the taxpayer in total more than £1.7m in public duty allowances.

What do people think of this? Should ex PM's be being paid sums of tax money after they've left office?

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair should be exiled, stripped of citizenship, shipped to The Hague, and all his assets seized as evidence in a war crimes investigation.

Other than that I'm cool with paying PMs money. I do believe that Brown, Major and Thatcher were doing what they genuinely believed was right for the country, which is all you can really ask them to do, and we should support our statesmen and women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Tony Blair should be exiled, stripped of citizenship, shipped to The Hague, and all his assets seized as evidence in a war crimes investigation.

Other than that I'm cool with paying PMs money. I do believe that Brown, Major and Thatcher were doing what they genuinely believed was right for the country, which is all you can really ask them to do, and we should support our statesmen and women.
    Surely £535,000 is a bit more than merely 'supporting' our statesmen and women?

ReputationRep:
    Not a penny should go to them after they cease being MPs. They should have police protection but that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebmaj7)
    Surely £535,000 is a bit more than merely 'supporting' our statesmen and women?
    There's bigger fish to fry. This just smacks of "LETS BASH THATCHER BECAUSE I DONT LIKE HER"-ism. Maybe we could limit or change the fund somehow, but those who serve as PM put themselves through hell on our behalf a lot of the time and I don't think we should just cut ex-PMs off altogether.

ReputationRep:
    She's been off the job for 20 years. That's only approximately £21.5K a year.

There's bigger fish to fry. This just smacks of "LETS BASH THATCHER BECAUSE I DONT LIKE HER"-ism.
    Actually I'm one of the ones who like her. Nevertheless £535,000 seems quite extravagant.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more in support of it if it were means tested

What do they get the money for? The article says answering letters and public appearances, but I'd like to see a breakdown of how much they get per event/letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Not a penny should go to them after they cease being MPs. They should have police protection but that is all.
    They shouldn't get police protection they don't need why would someone kill the ex leader there is no benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    They shouldn't get police protection they don't need why would someone kill the ex leader there is no benefit.
    Have you ever asked someone from north of the Watford Gap about Thatcher?

Some of the answers can be quite funny. Something about "dancing on the old witch's burning grave whilst simultaneously ****ting and pissing on it."

ReputationRep:
    She's been off the job for 20 years. That's only approximately £21.5K a year.

There's bigger fish to fry. This just smacks of "LETS BASH THATCHER BECAUSE I DONT LIKE HER"-ism.
    That wasn't the intention of the thread. Otherwise Blair and Major wouldn't of been included.

It's about the principle of paying PM's money after they've left office and whether its right or not. I think you've taken the original comment you quoted immediately out of context. The poster didn't even mention Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    Prime Ministers work very hard and generally receive scant appreciation from the public for it. I think £100k per year is possibly slightly too large an amount to pay them at this time, but it's not really an issue to get up in arms about, in my view.

This smacks of "LET'S BASH BLAIR BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE HIM" -ism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drobinson)
    That wasn't the intention of the thread. Otherwise Blair and Major wouldn't of been included.

It's about the principle of paying PM's money after they've left office and whether its right or not. I think you've taken the original comment you quoted immediately out of context. The poster didn't even mention Thatcher.
    I was actually meaning to refer to the BBC article, which specifically mentions Thatcher in it's short-form title on the "Most Read" section of the website. Then again, it's the BBC, so I'm not surprised.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever asked someone from north of the Watford Gap about Thatcher?

Some of the answers can be quite funny. Something about "dancing on the old witch's burning grave whilst simultaneously ****ting and pissing on it."
    Then we should execute all ex PMs to save the country money and the PMs will be happy to do it because it is their duty.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually meaning to refer to the BBC article, which specifically mentions Thatcher in it's short-form title on the "Most Read" section of the website. Then again, it's the BBC, so I'm not surprised.
    Ahh, then I apologise

Yes the BBC article is clearly fishing for anti-Thatcherite support, despite the fact between them Blair and Major have claimed more.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    500k is NOTHING. It is a teensy amount of money, literally nothing, not even a drop in the ocean, it's more like 1 electron in comparison to the whole universe.
    It's nothing to get up in arms about. To put things into perspective, we pay more than 120 MILLION pounds everyday in debt interest. 500k over 5 years is basically the equivelent of you throwing away a couple of two pence pieces. I say this as a libertarian, someone who usually likes to complain about government spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drobinson)
    Ahh, then I apologise

Yes the BBC article is clearly fishing for anti-Thatcherite support, despite the fact between them Blair and Major have claimed more.
    No problem mate, I probably should have made it clearer in the post anyway :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    500k is NOTHING. It is a teensy amount of money, literally nothing, not even a drop in the ocean, it's more like 1 electron in comparison to the whole universe.
    It's nothing to get up in arms about. To put things into perspective, we pay more than 120 MILLION pounds everyday in debt interest. 500k over 5 years is basically the equivelent of you throwing away a couple of two pence pieces. I say this as a libertarian, someone who usually likes to complain about government spending.
    This.

Also, I've read several versions of this article and nowhere does it say what it was for, if they're former PM's they will need police protection and possibly bullet proof vehicles etc this I think could easily account for the amounts claimed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    I couldn't care less if it was £1k or £1m. Tax payers money is tax payers money. The ministers' should always scrutinise how much is being spent on what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_0001)
    I couldn't care less if it was £1k or £1m. Tax payers money is tax payers money. The ministers' should always scrutinise how much is being spent on what.
    (Original post by BBC News)
    Mr Maude said: "The public duties cost allowance is kept under review."
    I think it's pretty clear that they are.

ReputationRep:
    Do we get paid in full when our temporary jobs come to an end?

No.

Should they?

No.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.