The Student Room Group

Scotland Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Camppu
I really need some help!! I have a hard time choosing between Aberdeen (scots law) and Dundee (scots/english), can anyone give me some advice?: D Basically both offers are unconditional as I already meet the conditions..

If you just do scots law, you can only work in scotland unless you take a law conversation exam. And if you do the scots/english law, you can work in england, wales and scotland.
Reply 61
Original post by JessNurden
If you just do scots law, you can only work in scotland unless you take a law conversation exam. And if you do the scots/english law, you can work in england, wales and scotland.

Yea I know that!:smile: But anyway I'm interested in international law (international criminal law, human rights) so I don't know if it matters SO much if I would have a scottish law degree.. But anyway, Dundee is maybe my first choice at the moment but I was just thinking that would it be wiser to go to Aberdeen because it's 'better' or sth?
Reply 62
Original post by Camppu
Yea I know that!:smile: But anyway I'm interested in international law (international criminal law, human rights) so I don't know if it matters SO much if I would have a scottish law degree.. But anyway, Dundee is maybe my first choice at the moment but I was just thinking that would it be wiser to go to Aberdeen because it's 'better' or sth?

I might be wrong but I think that for that you will need a master's degree anyways so it shouldn't matter that much.
where are you applying?
Aberdeen, Hull, Portsmouth, Reading and Winchester

what grades do you have?
ABC

what you doing this year?
History, Sociology and Philosophy/Ethics ( RE )

any particular uni your hoping to get into?
Firmed Aberdeen!
Reply 64
where are you applying?
Aberdeen,Edinburgh,Dundee, Robert Gordon and Stirling

what grades do you have?
AABB
what you doing this year?
Adv History, Adv Mods, Higher Bus Man, Higher Psychology and Int 2 German.

any particular uni your hoping to get into?
Firmed Aberdeen :smile:
Got unconditionals from everywhere apart form Edinburgh - conditional of C in Int 2 German :biggrin:
Reply 65
Where did people choose in the end?
Reply 66
Original post by cbvz57
Where did people choose in the end?

Strathclyde
where are you applying ? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Dundee for Law & French
what grades do you have ? AAAAAA in maths, english, biology, chemistry, business management and dance (did higher dance outside school)
what you doing this year ? advanced higher english and business, and higher french
any work experience etc ? Shadowed solicitors at Turcan Connel and Simpson & Marwick (law firms) in Edinburgh
any particular uni your hoping to get into ? Can't choose between Glasgow and Edinburgh!!

I much preferred Glasgow's open day, and think it's a better city for students and seems more down to earth and the music/nightlight scene seems awesome (shouldn't base choice on that but it does matter). However I love Edinburgh as a city, it's much more visually appealing and I just have a general sense of loving it!
Head vs Heart in a way.
Plus the LNAT for Glasgow was so hard I probably got like 10/42 hahaha
Original post by gingermitch
where are you applying ? Glasgow, Edinburgh, Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Dundee for Law & French
what grades do you have ? AAAAAA in maths, english, biology, chemistry, business management and dance (did higher dance outside school)
what you doing this year ? advanced higher english and business, and higher french
any work experience etc ? Shadowed solicitors at Turcan Connel and Simpson & Marwick (law firms) in Edinburgh
any particular uni your hoping to get into ? Can't choose between Glasgow and Edinburgh!!

I much preferred Glasgow's open day, and think it's a better city for students and seems more down to earth and the music/nightlight scene seems awesome (shouldn't base choice on that but it does matter). However I love Edinburgh as a city, it's much more visually appealing and I just have a general sense of loving it!
Head vs Heart in a way.
Plus the LNAT for Glasgow was so hard I probably got like 10/42 hahaha

Let us know what you decide! :smile:
Original post by TheAdequateGatsby
Let us know what you decide! :smile:

Will do! I haven't even sent my Ucas away yet though :P
Original post by kirsti
how what did you get in your LNAT ? my two friends sat it and one got 16 and the other 11 ... haha. and thankyou! , honestly, you will get an offer from Aberdeen and hopefully Strathclyde ( their entrance requirements are far higher than they should be for Law ) , + yeah we will! did you apply to Edinburgh ?

How have you found out your LNAT score so early? I thought we find them out in February?

Original post by Camppu
I really need some help!! I have a hard time choosing between Aberdeen (scots law) and Dundee (scots/english), can anyone give me some advice?: D Basically both offers are unconditional as I already meet the conditions..

My advice (and personal opinion) is that both law schools are equally credible, however Aberdeen is a nicer city to live in. It would benefit you taking the dual qualified course if you intend to practise in England, but if not, then I'd go for Aberdeen, as not only would the dual qualifying course be a lot more work, Aberdeen is a lovely city and has a good rep for its law school (as does Dundee). Have heard from friends that Dundee has an awesome nightlife though. They are quite on par overall, but that's my opinion.
Will do! I haven't even sent my Ucas away yet though :P

Oh right haha :tongue: I'm sure you'll definitely get into all your choices, will you spend your third year in France? :biggrin:
Oh right haha :tongue: I'm sure you'll definitely get into all your choices, will you spend your third year in France? :biggrin:

Will just have to wait and see! Where are you applying? (or have you already posted that somewhere in this thread?)
And yeah defo!! :biggrin:
Reply 73
X

Pick either, you're not going to go far wrong.
Will just have to wait and see! Where are you applying? (or have you already posted that somewhere in this thread?)
And yeah defo!! :biggrin:

No doubt about it! :biggrin: And I'll be a law applicant for 2014 entry, hopefully I'll get into Edinburgh. :love:
Ooh that'll be so exciting, part of me wishes I'd continued with a language... :tongue:
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things did you mention in your personal statement? :smile:
No doubt about it! :biggrin: And I'll be a law applicant for 2014 entry, hopefully I'll get into Edinburgh. :love:
Ooh that'll be so exciting, part of me wishes I'd continued with a language... :tongue:
If you don't mind me asking, what sort of things did you mention in your personal statement? :smile:

Aww okay :smile: Yeah i had to start french up again this year.

No problem! I firstly went on about why I'm interested in law, then about my involvement in debating and mock trial. Then a paragraph about work experience and what I learned there. Then why I wanted to do it with french (and encorporated how studying business would help for EU law). Next I said about pupil council and roles as deputy head girl. Following that I said about extracurricular (ie dance, athletics and Dofe) Lastly about my job, and then just summed it up!
Seems like a big long list when I put it like that but it was padded out etc :smile: x
Reply 76
Hey everyone! I've applied to Strathclyde, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee and Stirling!
Heard nothing back yet :frown: Getting nervous!
Good luck everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest