Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for motorsport engineering courses for university. I want to further my personal statement and gather knowledge from books etc. I understand motorsport has elements or elctronic, mechanical, etc..
    Can anyone reccomend some books that I can purchase and read and that would be recognised by university admissions tutors?
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Carroll Smith's Lean to Win is a good book, though it is heavily focused at tuning an already built car at a race venue.

ReputationRep:
    I'm final year BEng Motorsport Engineering and Design, and the vast majority of my books are Engine books. I have chosen engines as my final year project, and also my key module this year.

However, such books may be too technical for you, since you are not yet at university. I'm not slating you here, just warning you that these books are heavy!

I started off with the Bosch Automotive Handbook. It's a fantastic book and a MUST have for anybody wishing to study automotive / motorsport engineering.

Last week I found the following book in the library:

" Race car engineering and mechanics" ISBN 0-9617425-0-x

It's very good and starts from the basics. I recommend it to you.

By the way, at which university do you intend to study?

ReputationRep:
    Rather then specific books id suggest looking looking at subject areas and books within.

Aerodynamics
    Materials
    Suspension
    Electronics

Engine wise i recommend anything by David Visard I also recommend Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

ReputationRep:
    Steve Matchett's Life in the fast lane is an excellent book about when he used to work as a mechanic for the Benneton F1 team in the 90s.

I've worn out my first copy and haven't replaced it yet =[

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2012

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.