Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I thought about putting this on a general IT forum but then figured that nobody would be familiar with the set up of the York email system (which in my view is a disaster because it does not allow you to search your email or set up notifications. This is not very user friendly, considering the amount of organising you need to accomplish what with all the notifications and extra curricular activities that are sent to you).

Basically I want to divert emails to my gmail account - which I have done, now I am looking to forward all the emails at once (I have about 190 already and its only my first few weeks of term).

In my gmail account it says I can import all emails from another accoun (@york.ac.uk) but keeps asking for my POP username and POP server from the other account...anyone know how you figure this out?

Cheers!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    The easiest thing to do would be to load both your York account and Gmail one into an email client (e.g. Thunderbird or Outlook) via IMAP, then use that client's copy command to move your mail across. You can go back to using webmail once it's done.

I hear UoY is moving to Google Apps for Education soon though, so you may find your uni email address will be moved over to Gmail soon anyway. Not sure what the time scale on that is, though you might be able to find out on CompServ's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    The easiest thing to do would be to load both your York account and Gmail one into an email client (e.g. Thunderbird or Outlook) via IMAP, then use that client's copy command to move your mail across. You can go back to using webmail once it's done.

I hear UoY is moving to Google Apps for Education soon though, so you may find your uni email address will be moved over to Gmail soon anyway. Not sure what the time scale on that is, though you might be able to find out on CompServ's website.
    It's over Christmas and leading up to the end of term.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.