The Student Room Group

BNP Paribas VS HSBC?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what you think of HSBC and BNP Paribas, specifically within Sales & Trading (Sales really)...

Which is better? And in what aspects? Is there a tradeoff? They are both tier 2 banks that I have never really worked out what the ordered ranking of them is...

Any helpful, useful information would be appreciated :smile:

Cheers,

Adam
Original post by adzharmer
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what you think of HSBC and BNP Paribas, specifically within Sales & Trading (Sales really)...

Which is better? And in what aspects? Is there a tradeoff? They are both tier 2 banks that I have never really worked out what the ordered ranking of them is...

Any helpful, useful information would be appreciated :smile:

Cheers,

Adam

Have you got an offer from BNP? btw will pm u about hsbc!
Reply 2
Anyone?
Reply 3
Is there anyway I can rank the two to decide which is better for Sales and as a long term prospect, as a firm name on a future CV etc?
Reply 4
HSBC has had fewer problems recently, and has more assets and market share in most countries.
Its operations are also based more in the emerging world, which means it has stronger prospects for profits than BNP...

not sure if the Student Room is the best place to base your investment decisions! Lol.
Reply 5
Original post by dc_lawrence
HSBC has had fewer problems recently, and has more assets and market share in most countries.
Its operations are also based more in the emerging world, which means it has stronger prospects for profits than BNP...

not sure if the Student Room is the best place to base your investment decisions! Lol.

Where do you recommend? I obviously can't ask BNPP or HSBC themselves and am not sure where is reliable
Reply 6
Original post by adzharmer
Where do you recommend? I obviously can't ask BNPP or HSBC themselves and am not sure where is reliable

I don't know much, but HSBC is probably safer, wheareas returns are potentially higher for BNP cos I think their shares collapsed recently. Look up the recent trends and try an investors forum... That's all the help I can give sorry, I'm not an expert just know a bit about economics :/
Reply 7
I don't mean I'm investing :tongue: I could get offers from both, and am trying to choose which I should intern at for Sales

Original post by dc_lawrence
I don't know much, but HSBC is probably safer, wheareas returns are potentially higher for BNP cos I think their shares collapsed recently. Look up the recent trends and try an investors forum... That's all the help I can give sorry, I'm not an expert just know a bit about economics :/
Heard HSBC don't pay a bonus to their 1st years.
Reply 9
Alright after doing some basic research I believe BNP Paribas is better for an intern/grad in Sales (Markets) than HSBC. The BNPP CIB is more prominent I believe than the HSBC GBM and is a leader in Derivatives.

The negatives of BNPP are 1) their headoffice is in Paris, so their London office (in Marlebone) isnt too impressive (very average), unlike HSBC's Canary Whard HQ. 2) BNPP will be badly affected by the EU Crisis and may not be in the position it is in now.

Please, anyone else with a view on BNPP vs HSBC for interning within Markets, comment below!!!!
HSBC is probably better i think
HSBC is a quality bank, don't listen to all the numpties putting it down because it's not as "sexy" as some others. Those "sexy" banks might not exist in five years. HSBC will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending