Turn on thread page Beta

22 unemployed and living at home and on the dole...is this normal? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In the past months I have made over three hundred applications and have been rejected from every single one of them..Is this normal in this climate?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, unfortunately. Don't give up, one day something will come along. See if you can get an internship or apprenticeship or voluntary work.

ReputationRep:
    It depends...what degree did you do?

ReputationRep:
    300 applications is a lot.. stupid question, but have plenty of people reviewed your CV/Personal statement to ensure that you are putting your best qualities across?
    I agree with daisydaffodil, look for further training.. what career is it that you are interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    It depends...what degree did you do?
    Biology 2:2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaime1986)
    300 applications is a lot.. stupid question, but have plenty of people reviewed your CV/Personal statement to ensure that you are putting your best qualities across?
    I agree with daisydaffodil, look for further training.. what career is it that you are interested in?
    Yeah they have...

Some interviewers have said that I have an interesting CV and its well written if a tad long...

(Original post by da_comeback)
    Some interviewers have said that I have an interesting CV and its well written if a tad long...
    Everyone has told me that a CV should be a maximum of two pages, unless you're a big shot CEO with mountains of high flying management experience behind you.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but when they said "interesting", was that meant in a good way do you think? If not then it may be part of your problem. Living at home on the dole is sadly pretty standard these days, but 300 job applications is excessive and I'm fairly convinced there's something wrong.

What sort of jobs are you applying to? A 2.2 in Biology may make you overqualified for some roles unfortunately, but that may not be the issue here. What do you have in the way of extra-curricular and voluntary work to mention? Stuff like that doesn't generally need work experience to apply for and it'll boost your CV in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I don't really know what to make of that, maybe someone with more experience will be able to help, though from what I've heard getting a 2:1 is pretty important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    Ok, I don't really know what to make of that, maybe someone with more experience will be able to help, though from what I've heard getting a 2:1 is pretty important.
    Suggesting OP go back in time and get a better class of degree?
    Not really helpful.

OP, Since you get to live at home for free, I'd suggest some sort of internship/ unpaid experience. Also if you're not already, apply for some sort of part-time job like bar work, temping, anything really, just to get some sort of employment experience and to avoid the gap in your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Everyone has told me that a CV should be a maximum of two pages, unless you're a big shot CEO with mountains of high flying management experience behind you.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but when they said "interesting", was that meant in a good way do you think? If not then it may be part of your problem. Living at home on the dole is sadly pretty standard these days, but 300 job applications is excessive and I'm fairly convinced there's something wrong.

What sort of jobs are you applying to? A 2.2 in Biology may make you overqualified for some roles unfortunately, but that may not be the issue here. What do you have in the way of extra-curricular and voluntary work to mention? Stuff like that doesn't generally need work experience to apply for and it'll boost your CV in the long run.

Well when they say interesting, it’s like, ‘thank you for your application which by glances seems interesting'. Or ‘unfortunately you don’t meet out criteria which is a shame because you have an interesting C.V.' Or 'despite being professionally written, with regards to your C.V.; there are candidates with more experience then you'. I have a lot of voluntary work on C.V. but I dont think it is relevant enough.

I’ve applied for anything and I mean anything..

ReputationRep:
    How about training to become a teacher?

Well when they say interesting, it’s like, ‘thank you for your application which by glances seems interesting'. Or ‘unfortunately you don’t meet out criteria which is a shame because you have an interesting C.V.' Or 'despite being professionally written, with regards to your C.V.; there are candidates with more experience then you'. I have a lot of voluntary work on C.V. but I dont think it is relevant enough.

I’ve applied for anything and I mean anything..
    Ah okay, guess I had it wrong. Your CV may not be the problem then. If you've applied for basically everything and not had any luck out of 300 applications, then I definitely think there's something wrong.

I highly doubt that relevance of voluntary work is the issue as it's generally there to prove personal qualities and all-roundedness, so I wouldn't get too worried about its relevance. I do wonder if it's the 2.2 degree that's making you overqualified for lesser roles and underqualified for better ones?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    In the past months I have made over three hundred applications and have been rejected from every single one of them..Is this normal in this climate?
    If you have genuinely made 300 applications in the last month and haven't got at least 30 interviews, then whatever you think, your CV is bad. You can't be spending enough time tailoring your CV in order to actually make 300 applications, you are clearly using a generic CV which never impresses employers.

So, your CV is bad. Get yourself some decent CV advice. There's a CV Help thread here, or your uni careers centre will be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Ah okay, guess I had it wrong. Your CV may not be the problem then. If you've applied for basically everything and not had any luck out of 300 applications, then I definitely think there's something wrong.

I highly doubt that relevance of voluntary work is the issue as it's generally there to prove personal qualities and all-roundedness, so I wouldn't get too worried about its relevance. I do wonder if it's the 2.2 degree that's making you overqualified for lesser roles and underqualified for better ones?
    Hmmm maybe. I don’t really have any idea to be honest..Most employers seem to regurgitate the same bull that they have had ' so many applications it is impossible for them to give feedback' and for the ones that have (and they are very few), they mention stuff like, 'you don’t have enough exp'. It’s very frustrating, although understandable from their point of view. They want a particular person and I’m just not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    If you have genuinely made 300 applications in the last month and haven't got at least 30 interviews, then whatever you think, your CV is bad. You can't be spending enough time tailoring your CV in order to actually make 300 applications, you are clearly using a generic CV which never impresses employers.

So, your CV is bad. Get yourself some decent CV advice. There's a CV Help thread here, or your uni careers centre will be able to help.
    You know you might be right. Ive used the same generic CV all the time...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Then no wonder!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you should look at your CV, covering letter technique, etc. 300 rejections is quite a lot.

But being back at home after uni with no job is unfortunately quite common. Maybe going abroad (teaching English) would be an idea?

ReputationRep:
    I bet if you have made 300 applications in a few months they were all
    - untargeted
    - not properly researched
    - not filled in properly

Cut and paste won't get you a job. To meet the criteria for your dole you have to prove you have done 3 things a week to actively seeking work so I recommend applying for no more than 3 jobs per week, but make sure those jobs are ones that you can credibly get and spend 2 days on each application, researching the company, tailoring your CV to it.

ReputationRep:
    Three questions:

What kind of jobs have you been applying for?
    What does your CV look like?
    How have you been making the applications?

There is a fundamental problem with at least one of these if you've managed to clock up 300 rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    Three questions:

There is a fundamental problem with at least one of these if you've managed to clock up 300 rejections.

Everything..plus anything that has graduate on it

Not very specific a little to long..but good looking, well written and interesting enough

Total Jobs (most of them), Monster, Reed, some randoms. All of them online

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.