Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The only GCSE's that were compulsary were Maths, English language and RE and Citizenship short course...thats 3...with three options.
    Therefore most people left with just 5-7 GCSE's at the most with the odd 15-20 having 10+.

Half the year group were forced to do BTEC Science with a quarter doing double and another quarter doing triple.

Im now doing GCSE Double Science in 6th form on top of my AS levels even then I'll only have 7 GCSE's, 8 if you count the short courses as seperate ones and 13-14 if you count my BTEC's.

Luckily I used those three options wisely and picked GCSE's -.-

ReputationRep:
    U sure that was high school bro?

ReputationRep:
    Wow. lol...

ReputationRep:
    That sort of crap shouldn't even be legal in the school system. I thought it was compulsory for ALL schools to do English Lit and Science...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    That sort of crap shouldn't even be legal in the school system. I thought it was compulsory for ALL schools to do English Lit and Science...
    It is OP that is such a confusing system, I feel sorry for you! :eek: @mangofreak, you're avatar is LOL.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Ahh I can relate. My secondary school was also pretty s***e, offered only 7 GCSEs (Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Science Core, Science Add, Maths, ICT and RS) + 2 langs from which you pick one. Everyone left with 8 GCSEs if they passed them all.

Persevere, comrade, persevere. :top:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like my school in science if you weren't in set 1 or 2 you were forced to BTEC science and only set 1 in maths learned the higher syllabus and same with English only set 1 did english lit I think the most GCSEs anyone got was 9 and that was like 20 people out of 250

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Med_Geek)
    It is OP that is such a confusing system, I feel sorry for you! :eek: @mangofreak, you're avatar is LOL.
    Why thank you

But how'd they get away with that, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saif95)
    The only GCSE's that were compulsary were Maths, English language and RE and Citizenship short course...thats 3...with three options.
    Therefore most people left with just 5-7 GCSE's at the most with the odd 15-20 having 10+.

Half the year group were forced to do BTEC Science with a quarter doing double and another quarter doing triple.

Im now doing GCSE Double Science in 6th form on top of my AS levels even then I'll only have 7 GCSE's, 8 if you count the short courses as seperate ones and 13-14 if you count my BTEC's.

At my secondary school, only Maths and English (and PHSE if that counts) were cumpolsary.

I did 8 and a half GCSE's. Most people even did less than me. Worst school you could ever imagine - it can't be worse than yours, believe me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blair turgott)
    At my secondary school, only Maths and English (and PHSE if that counts) were cumpolsary.

I did 8 and a half GCSE's. Most people even did less than me. Worst school you could ever imagine - it can't be worse than yours, believe me!!!
    Where was your school? Mine was in central London.

ReputationRep:
    All in all im dissapointed to have been a student at that school...teaching was great...facilities were also alright...behaviour of pupils was alright (although not too great)...only problem was their GCSE system which sucked balls.

ReputationRep:
    All in all im dissapointed to have been a student at that school...teaching was great...facilities were also alright...behaviour of pupils was alright (although not too great)...only problem was their GCSE system which sucked balls.
    At mine, the teaching was terrible, facilities were an absolute joke (don't even get me started on them) and the behaviour of pupils was pretty bad as well. Their GCSE system at my secondary school was terrible, but was probably the best thing about the school which is definitely telling you something!
    Where was your school? Mine was in central London.
    Reading in Berkshire. Although it has closed down now (not surprised tbh!)

ReputationRep:
    Sadly a lot of schools who are struggling to meet the lovely government targets resort to shoving kids in for BTECs whenever possible.

I really feel for those that lose the postcode lottery when it comes to schooling, and/or end up suffering because too many of their year group really can't be bothered.

Even still, you are in a stronger position than those that only leave with maybe 1-2 GCSEs.

OP, all credit to you for sticking with it and doing some more in 6th form. Which exam board Science are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    I didn't do English Lit at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbreadman85)
    Sadly a lot of schools who are struggling to meet the lovely government targets resort to shoving kids in for BTECs whenever possible.

I really feel for those that lose the postcode lottery when it comes to schooling, and/or end up suffering because too many of their year group really can't be bothered.

Even still, you are in a stronger position than those that only leave with maybe 1-2 GCSEs.

OP, all credit to you for sticking with it and doing some more in 6th form. Which exam board Science are you taking?
    AQA.

ReputationRep:
    AQA.
    In which case, feel free to message me if you get stuck, I teach AQA Science.

ReputationRep:

What BTECs did you do? What ASs or ASs are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    My school was similar, though single science was also compulsory. However we got 4-5 extra options rather than 3.

However, i don't see what you intend to gain from creating a thread simply stating the level of your schooling. Although I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you work hard at A-level, get good grades, and then you shouldn't be at that much of a disadvantage for most good unis.

ReputationRep:
    Why dont schools start teaching on how to do the more practical stuff, it's like they'll teach you how to use some software -- why not teach them how to PROGRAM software in the first place it will open up thousands of new opportunities, same goes for most of my subjects.

I quote
    “Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.”
    But yeah Secondary School was largely pointless, I didn't achieve any good grades at all (C's mostly) because I wasn't interested in the slightest, I even failed ICT because it was utter rubbish such as "Create Two New Folders" and screenshot and document it all. I laugh now as those grades have not prevented me from achieving anything I wanted I work for an international company.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.