Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So long story short, I was predicted A*AA and got CCB instead. These where from a local examination board. The reason was a mental breakdown, something that I believe is not exactly a good excuse for somebody who wants to undertake a notoriously gruesome university course.

Next year, I'm planning to take the Edexcel and I should be able to get better grades. Now the problem is, how can I put this forward to the admission officers without putting myself in bad light?

I really want to get a second chance at this but I don't see how I can manage to prove my abilities with the present grades and it would take another year to get proper grades.

ReputationRep:
    Any doctors notes to back up your mental breakdown?

Otherwise, I don't think you'd be able to get an offer, as some universities do not like resits after the A2 year, unless one has extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamaris)
    So long story short, I was predicted A*AA and got CCB instead. These where from a local examination board. The reason was a mental breakdown, something that I believe is not exactly a good excuse for somebody who wants to undertake a notoriously gruesome university course.

Next year, I'm planning to take the Edexcel and I should be able to get better grades. Now the problem is, how can I put this forward to the admission officers without putting myself in bad light?

I really want to get a second chance at this but I don't see how I can manage to prove my abilities with the present grades and it would take another year to get proper grades.

I'm sure there a many cases where people failed their exams first time round due to illness (mental or physical) and I don't know if this is factual, but it seems to me that should you get proof of your brakedown and explain it to the universities, they can not hold it against you? That's what seems right, whether it is the truth or not is another matter, I hope it the former for you.

ReputationRep:

Tell them you had extenuating circumstances, that's your only option. Either that or let them assume you dropped to CCB because you couldn't be bothered to work hard, or simply aren't clever enough, which looks a lot worse than a medical condition. They don't have to know why you had a mental breakdown, just that you had one and it affected your results. I presume this would be mentioned in your reference, rather than your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)

Otherwise, I don't think you'd be able to get an offer, as some universities do not like resits after the A2 year, unless one has extenuating circumstances.
    Yes, I do actually but I'm split on whether I should mention it at all. I mean, if I'm prone to a mental breakdown, I'm not University material, am I?

ReputationRep:

This only applies to the very top universities. The only repercussion the OP may receive due to taking a little longer to get his grades is that the unis he applies for may ask for a slightly higher offer. And from experience, this only applies to top 20 unis.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do actually but I'm split on whether I should mention it at all. I mean, if I'm prone to a mental breakdown, I'm not University material, am I?
    Yeah you are... just e-mail the universities with the proof, and get your referee to mention it in the reference along with your ability to cope with a degree.

(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    This only applies to the very top universities. The only repercussion the OP may receive due to taking a little longer to get his grades is that the unis he applies for may ask for a slightly higher offer. And from experience, this only applies to top 20 unis.
    "notoriously gruesome university course."

Sounds like the OP wants to do Killing Studies.

I kid, but I think he means that the course will be rigorous, and therefore will be at a top university.

ReputationRep:

I kid, but I think he means that the course will be rigorous, and therefore will be at a top university.
    I was planning to apply at Edinburgh amongst others.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you are... just e-mail the universities with the proof, and get your referee to mention it in the reference along with your ability to cope with a degree.

"notoriously gruesome university course."

Sounds like the OP wants to do Killing Studies.

:zomg: I actually think it's the former. Well he didn't reply to my very lovely and helpful comment anyway.

I'll still offer some condolences; I know a former hospitalised anorexic who ruined her first go at A levels because of this, took them again and is now doing Literature at a top uni.

ReputationRep:

This, you will need a doctor's note/other form of proof.

Then ask what you will have needed at first sitting, some allow you to resit provided you achieved certain grades during the first sitting like BBB and also ask what they requre you to get in your resit.

All the best, I hope everything gets sorted out for you. A mental breakdown is not an excuse in any way and admissions officers do take these things seriously, we're all human after all.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.