Turn on thread page Beta

Work is making me stressed watch

Announcements

I work in a clothes shop and I have social anxiety (although work doesn't know about it because I thought it'd give me a less chance of getting the job etc)
    I used to enjoy it, it was easy and everyone was nice which relaxed me a bit but we moved to another shop recently and I dislike it.
    I was at work previously and I messed everything up. I was on the tills on my own (I actually hate/despise being on the tills as they make me nervous and I end up panicking and I forget how to do things because I'm nervous) and because the items wouldn't scan I was going so slow and the queue was building up I was panicking. Then I was clearing rail (yet again on my own) and because everything had been moved around I didn't know where any of the things were so because I couldn't put much stuff back it was just building up.

I just feel so nervous going to work now, I really don't look forward to it at all (I used to not mind work). I don't want to quit because I like the money and it took me ages to get a job but I fear I may have to or I'll get fired if I don't sort it out soon. Is there anything I can do to calm me down or to help me through it.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all happy to hear that.............please make sure you work not just for money also make sure you are pleased with job as i am doing .i dont like to work for companies . I work as a freelancer and project manger who helped students or clients helping in programming , writing and subject help at affordable cost with my huge professional team . Its fun for me and a serious job as well
    try something like that or find a very good offline job .I am sure you will get one soon of ur like}
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think you should tell your boss how you're feeling and that you maybe aren't coping as well as you'd hoped. Tell them what bothers you, an maybe ask them if they could show you where the stuff goes so you don't panic as much? They're supposed to help their employees, after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I work in a clothes shop and I have social anxiety (although work doesn't know about it because I thought it'd give me a less chance of getting the job etc)
    I used to enjoy it, it was easy and everyone was nice which relaxed me a bit but we moved to another shop recently and I dislike it.
    I was at work previously and I messed everything up. I was on the tills on my own (I actually hate/despise being on the tills as they make me nervous and I end up panicking and I forget how to do things because I'm nervous) and because the items wouldn't scan I was going so slow and the queue was building up I was panicking. Then I was clearing rail (yet again on my own) and because everything had been moved around I didn't know where any of the things were so because I couldn't put much stuff back it was just building up.

I just feel so nervous going to work now, I really don't look forward to it at all (I used to not mind work). I don't want to quit because I like the money and it took me ages to get a job but I fear I may have to or I'll get fired if I don't sort it out soon. Is there anything I can do to calm me down or to help me through it.
    There are plenty of techniques you could try :yep: They don't all work for everyone, but something is bound to work for you. You could try some breathing exercise, or counting exercises or similar things to take your mind of the anxiety. A herbal remedy like rescue remedy could be an idea - some people don't believe they work, but some people say the placebo effect is still a benefit. And if it gets worse, it could be a good idea to speak to someone at work about it. Obviously you don't have to just say "I hate it here, what do I do" or anything like that. But you could just mention that you experience anxiety and you would prefer to be doing certain types of tasks (whichever things you get least anxious about), if that's at all possible.
    If things get much worse, you could consider seeing a doctor about getting referred to counselling or maybe getting some medication to help you deal with the anxiety.

I might give it a week or two in this new shop and then if nothing changes i'll do what some of you have said and tell them that I experience anxiety on the tills and is there anything I can do for it.

Thanks!

I'm at work soon and I legit feel sick to my stomach at the thought of working on the tills. I'm so nervous I think I may throw up if I go into work and it says I'm on there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.