Turn on thread page Beta

Who do I report a dog-on-dog attack to? watch

ReputationRep:
    My dog was attacked by a pitbull yesterday and had her elbow, under chest and neck ripped open.
    I'm really confused because I'm not really sure if I should call the police because my brother didn't get to 'see' the owner's face and the owner made a speedy getaway.
    I know the owner lives in my area but I can't find him.
    My dog needs a vet but isn't insured.
    What do I do?
    My dog is in really bad pain...

edit: i have taken my dog to the vets btw, ya'll can stop berating me now.she is really good and her wounds are healing really well.
    it turns out the pitbull who attacked my dog (german shepherd) has attacked other dogs and pet cats in my area. we have reported the incidents to my local council...
    i don't want the pitbull to be put down, but it really is a hazard to everybody...

ReputationRep:
    bumpity-bump

ReputationRep:
    Uh, go to a vet if you haven't already, imidiately.

ReputationRep:
    why would you not go to the ****ing vet? how about get the wounds looked at first and then consider the legal action. Jesus Christ!

ReputationRep:
    If your dog is in pain then it MUST see a vet. Not taking it to one will mean you are commiting an offence under the animal welfare act and could be procecuted. If you can find some money then take it to your local vet asap. If money is tight then some vets will allow you to pay in installments so ask around. If you are on housing benefit then the PDSA will treat the dog for nothing, you could also try calling the RSPCA or local charities for advice. You took on a dog and it is your responsibility to treat it when things go wrong.

Out of control dogs should be reported to the dog warden from your local council, the police are unlikely to be interested in dog on dog attacks.

ReputationRep:
    stop killing tomatoes and go to a vet and ask them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomatoslayer)
    My dog was attacked by a pitbull yesterday and had her elbow, under chest and neck ripped open.
    I'm really confused because I'm not really sure if I should call the police because my brother didn't get to 'see' the owner's face and the owner made a speedy getaway.
    What do I do?
    Just take it to the vet- do you think the wounds are going to heal by themselves?? And phone the police anyway!
    I can't believe your dog "had her elbow, under chest and neck ripped open" and you didn't take immediate action!
    Idiot. You shouldn't have had a dog if your not prepared to take care of it properly.

ReputationRep:
    Try the RSPCA or PDSA if cost is an issue (can only go to these places if you're on benefits though). It is concerning that the dog was left for a day with a ripped open chest, neck and elbow.
    Anyway I hope that the dog is ok now, let us know what happened.

I'm glad you did the right thing and took your dog to the vet despite this landing you in deep financial ****e. I know how expensive the wet is, our dog has just cost my parents about £500 for some tooth extractions.

have you contacted anyone regarding the attack? I would call the rspca. You cannot have a dog like that walking around, what if it attacks a child next time...

ReputationRep:
    Pet insurance costs £5-£10 a month!

ReputationRep:
    The whole post made me feel sick. Why would you not take your dog straight to the vet?! and of course you call the police, the dog is aggressive and is a banned breed. FGS.

EDIT: Oh look, i've been negged for stating the frickin' obvious. What a shock, not.

ReputationRep:
    What do I do?
    Out of interest what breed is YOUR dog?

ReputationRep:
    What do I do?
    pitbulls are very dangerous in the wrong hands (which is why they are ILLEGAL)... not only could other dogs be seriously hurt as well as people... but the pitbull is being abused by it's owner, being brought up agressive and violent.

people like the owner of that pitbull disgust me.

i would report a dangerous dog/owner in the area, tell them what you have seen here... don't call 999 but i would ring up that non-emergency number... i think it's 114 or something like that, just so they are aware of the situation.

i hope your dog gets better... the poor thing, sounds horrible! take her to the vets immediately! i don't understand why you haven't already!

ReputationRep:
    My dog was attacked by a rotweiler years back, by the time we'd taken her to the vet and got her stable so we could go to the police station, the owner of the other dog had already contacted them.
    You have to go to the police regardless of whether you find the people.
    You should also take your dog to the vet, if you knew you couldn't afford vet bills you should have bought insurance. If you are claiming that insurance is too expensive, you shouldn't have a dog.
    Totally irresponsible and you risk being in trouble for not seeking treatment for your poor dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timie)
    Out of interest what breed is YOUR dog?
    german shepherd

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2011
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.