barbie13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have an informative essay to do which is due in just over a week...

'Parliamentary sovereignty is a constitutional relic. It has been rendered obsolete, in particular, by the supremacy of EU law and the UK's statutory recognition of human rights. We should no longer talk about this irrelevant doctrine'.

Critically discuss this statement.

I know this may sound a bit daft but.. 'we should no longer talk about this irrelevant doctrine' is that referring to the idea of parliamentary sovereignty being old fashioned? because thats how I'm reading it and I just dont want to look silly if I go write about it and then find out its completely wrong?
Payson.Keeler.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're right, it's concerning the old natured fashion of parliamentary sovereignty, and its irrelevance. I covered the same question in Politics this year.
barbie13
Rep:
?
Thank You!
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by barbie13)

'Parliamentary sovereignty is a constitutional relic. It has been rendered obsolete, in particular, by the supremacy of EU law and the UK's statutory recognition of human rights. We should no longer talk about this irrelevant doctrine'.

I know this may sound a bit daft but.. 'we should no longer talk about this irrelevant doctrine' is that referring to the idea of parliamentary sovereignty being old fashioned? because thats how I'm reading it and I just dont want to look silly if I go write about it and then find out its completely wrong?
I'd be pretty certain that's what it's asking.

But I'd give you top marks for an essay about why we should no longer talk about an irrelevant doctrine of Human Rights.
LawDreamer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have exactly the same essay to do. You're not in Liverpool are you? Anyway it's basically the fact that EU law is primary to UK law so Parliamentary sovereignty is no longer really true. I'm still learning myself though, you need to break down the statement and right whether you think it's true, and why you think it's true or not.

Mines 1500 words so not to big, i've been reading the papers like guardian online and there's loads of stuff going on at the moment, over that referendum vote and all the tory revolt over it. It's for feed back but still want to do a good essay.
LawDreamer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
oh , I think it's more than old fashioned , more like doesn't exist anymore, although the UK can pull out of EU, but doesn't look likely
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just bang on about the Maastricht treaty. Yawnnn.
Mr Inquisitive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What an interesting question - you'll have to let us know how it goes.
barbie13
Rep:
?
(Original post by LawDreamer)
I have exactly the same essay to do. You're not in Liverpool are you? Anyway it's basically the fact that EU law is primary to UK law so Parliamentary sovereignty is no longer really true. I'm still learning myself though, you need to break down the statement and right whether you think it's true, and why you think it's true or not.

Mines 1500 words so not to big, i've been reading the papers like guardian online and there's loads of stuff going on at the moment, over that referendum vote and all the tory revolt over it. It's for feed back but still want to do a good essay.
Lawdreamer yes I am in Liverpool! haha! thanks for your input! who's your tutor for public law?
Alfiep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd steer well clear of saying outright that the EU has made parliamentary sovereignty obsolete. Parliament is still sovereign, and that is incapable of changing without extreme and deliberate constitutional upheaval.

EU law takes priority over homemade law because of a convenient legal fiction that parliament intends to make legislation compliant with EU law, and judicial trickery when this isn't the case. Were parliament to explicitly contravene an EU regulation and state that its statute took priority, English courts would follow it.

And with the EU looking closer to breakup than it ever has before, the ultimate right of parliament to sanction a withdrawal from the Union makes nonsense of the idea that it is subordinate.

Indeed this concept seems to be recognised by and built into EU law itself, with the absence of an orderly exit procedure. In the absence of such a procedure a state wishing to leave, whose legislative and judicial functions were not independently sovereign, would be constitutionally unable to leave the union. This must point to an acceptance by the EU legal order that MS legislatures remain sovereign- unless you're willing to impute a coercive motive to the evil brussels eurocrats.
LawDreamer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I finished my essay I came to the conclusion that sovereignty has basically been taken away, but the issue is confusing because the UK could leave the EU. So it's like a catch 22 situation. If it can do that then has it retained sovereignty?

I have Mike Gordan for Public Law, hes good.
futureQC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi,
I had this essay in my first year and concluded that EU law is only supreme because the UK government allows it. As you say, it could simply repeal the ECA 1972.
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by barbie13)

The UK has given an external body the right to override its laws, but retains the right to revert that. Does that mean that Parliament is sovereign or not? That is one paradox which you should be addressing.

Another concerns the tension with the rule of law.
Smiami78
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh god this essay has been going for years!! It seems Mike must love it! Good Question, I was wondering the same thing :/
MrTurks
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing this exact same question right now. May seem simple but it really isn't.
sammiejadeboo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing it right now as well, literally keep hitting a wall.
Smiami78
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just completed mine, due in tomorrow! Good luck. Definitely far from simple 😕
Smiami78
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great minds eh
bettylow2014
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, i also have an essay to do on parliamentary soverignty, but not sure if its similar to the above... the question given to us is this;
'Critically discuss whether the principle of European Law primacy conflicts with the constitutional doctrine of Parliamentary Soverignty.'
could someone please help as i am struggling on how to prepare for it and start it.

Thanks!
Calixthe11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am at the uni of liv and we have been given this question lol I am so glad i read these comments because i understand the question a lot better now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.76%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
29.41%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.82%
No, I haven't received any communication (17)
50%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed