The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desy.kris
doesn't everyone have the right to choose what morals they want to adopt?

not necessarily. for example, ten commandments. All christians must follow these rules, no matter their personal choice, as you say
Original post by fluteflute
Can you explain the theory of forms briefly? (For people like myself who are uneducated :wink:)

briefly, Plato postulated that for every thing there is an absolute, perfect "form" of the thing, set apart from reality, which can only be ascertained by reason and the pursuit of philosophy.

Yeah agreed about the sources of our morals.

:five:

Do we think it's ever right to say that someone else's morals are wrong?

I don't know, but if someone did something to me I'd want them punished :fuhrer:

we're all self interested really :colonhash:
Original post by medbh4805
briefly, Plato postulated that for every thing there is an absolute, perfect "form" of the thing, set apart from reality, which can only be ascertained by reason and the pursuit of philosophy.

And these forms are ostensibly otherworldly (not the right word choice but can't think of a better one right now), and that everything in the human world is only imperfect reflections of these.
Original post by Brand New Eyes
That's what I said...?
*if we believe in Plato* there is a perfect "idea" of morality but because we are mere copies in the eyes of the creator (I don't believe in the creator but...carrying on) we will always have the "imperfect" idea.

I didn't say it didn't exist...!

:yes: poor mother nature, she's just getting bitchslapped in every way.

Oh, kk I misunderstood you :ashamed2: :hugs:
Original post by punctuation
how has LSE been rejecting so soon?

They're erm... quick. They only do social sciences (cant remember the exact figure of courses they get). Doesn't stop them from getting 11k+ applicants a year. Alot of universities have been giving out offers, so I suppose it works the other way around aswell. LSE is quite scary really, like marmite. hit or miss.

The idea of having a lasting influence on someone's life is quite attractive...

Noo, for it to work, you have to be sixteen going on seventeen. Pretend? :tongue:

Life? Who said anything about life? I was talking about stationary man. pervert. :smile:

Yeaah but... I'm not. Yes. pretend :yes:

Oh oh! I sing the Liesl bit and you can sing Ralph! aha

we're all self interested really :colonhash:

egoism :woo:

on a different note, what's your opinion on Hobbes? (in any context)
not necessarily. for example, ten commandments. All christians must follow these rules, no matter their personal choice, as you say

but one could always choose to change religion or become an atheist.

do you really follow the 10 commandments anyway? I don't.

I know nothing about his ideas or arguments so I have no opinion :awesome:

but she isn't a christian....:K:

I suppose it depends to what extent you believe someone can be a Christian while adopting alternative interpretations of the Bible.....
But if you're not christian, you don't have to follow them...

[Let's not get into biblical matters, that's a another whole convo...]

I'm not speaking of this from a personal perspective, but no I don't follow the 10 commandments.

That's not my point, though. Do you think devout Christians who otherwise believe in God, hell/heaven dichotomy, etc. etc. can actually convert if they do not believe in the morals God places forth? I would disagree with your opinion, and say that no, they do not have a choice.

(oho you're free will, aren't you? :mmm: I'm not determinism, but I can see where you're going with this now :wink:)
Oh, kk I misunderstood you :ashamed2: :hugs:

Ah maybs i just wasn't clear :h:

Plato is one weird cookie. I mean, what with the cave, his forms, slavery, and philosophy kings :fuhrer:

You learn about him in Greek/Latin/Class Civ?
I know nothing about his ideas or arguments so I have no opinion :awesome:

aww... :getmecoat:

I love his arguments for materialism though.

And you have absolutely no opinion? Not even regarding the leviathan?

Oh I was talking about only christians, at least in that particular example.

But yes, let's not
The present set up works better for you - the current system brings you many benefits, education, healthcare welfare etc, whereas the dystopian system you propose would you constantly in threat of being deposed by your slaves, so you would have be on high alert constantly, and would make you hated and feared by your fellow men :colonhash:

there is also the conflict that would arise from people capturing slaves all the time...
That is all true, and explains why we have the society we do. But I don't think that says anything about whether things are "right"
That is all true, and explains why we have the society we do. But I don't think that says anything about whether things are "right"

Whom do you think should dictate what is right then? Do you believe that there can be one entity (e.g. God, philosopher king) or group (e.g. the government) that has the knowledge and/or power to do so, or that it is not the place of anyone to judge?
Life? Who said anything about life? I was talking about stationary man. pervert. :smile:

Yeaah but... I'm not. Yes. pretend :yes:

Oh oh! I sing the Liesl bit and you can sing Ralph! aha
"Your life little girl, is an empty page" :wink: But I'd prefer for my method of writing on your page to be more meaningful than sex...

Okay! Sound of Music karaoke?

:lol: Atheist here.... *walks out of door*

We really have turned into the fb group. Must. not. get. into. random. debates.

ps howd the whole private school thing go? What was it about?

I just read about him in the state of nature. His theory is rather... amusing. Like the whole conservation of motion. I agree with felicity, but the whole thing about power seems abit... dystopian. But then again, maybe I just have too much faith in the human race :smile: slash against the state of war
ew, morality :colonhash:
"Your life little girl, is an empty page" :wink: But I'd prefer for my method of writing on your page to be more meaningful than sex...

Okay! Sound of Music karaoke?

(8) That men will want to write on (8)

:yes: Aww, you so cute. :hugs: Yes, sex lasts for minutes at most. Love is eternal :heart:

So how many pages have you written on?

YAY! Ofc :woo:

I just read about him in the state of nature. His theory is rather... amusing. Like the whole conservation of motion. I agree with felicity, but the whole thing about power seems abit... dystopian. But then again, maybe I just have too much faith in the human race :smile: slash against the state of war

Yes random debates! If they're intellectual. :wink:

So you believe that humans are, by nature, good?

Latest

Trending

Trending