The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Planar
Ayn Rand was completely mad. She wanted to privatise the law itself - not court staff or something, but the actual law itself. What a mong

Someone too right wing for you? :zomg:

Reply 3961
Original post by medbh4805
just look at him, so ****ing badass to be honest

*ignoring the thousands of deaths he's responsible for*

He's got that severe look on his face because firstly he's forgotten his mummy's birthday, and also because the imperialist doctrine has kept him up all night
Original post by Planar
He's got that severe look on his face because firstly he's forgotten his mummy's birthday, and also because the imperialist doctrine has kept him up all night

mildly relevant and amusing:
4000 :eek: :woo:

Hmm What this about oedipus?
Reply 3964
I think they might be disgusted with Ayn Rand more because the Fountianhead and Atlas Shrugged are two of the most tedious books ever written....

Ayn Rand does not sell writing. She sells ideas. Still, Nietzsche and many others are overly hated by academics because of their distinct popularity to the wider public, especially novice wanna-be philosophers, who also happen to be teens in many instances.
Original post by Brand New Eyes

you were just waiting for that moment weren't you :angry:
Original post by ReBee
Ayn Rand does not sell writing. She sells ideas. Still, Nietzsche and many others are overly hated by academics because of their distinct popularity to the wider public, especially novice wanna-be philosophers, who also happen to be teens in many instances.

People hate The Catcher in the Rye for this very reason... I read it when I was 12 and not since so I don't have an opinion anymore
Original post by ReBee

Then why does she express her ideas in novel form? Seriously they're two of the worst books I've even read :doh:
Reply 3968
Someone too right wing for you? :zomg:

I've run out of rep :frown:
Original post by punctuation
People hate The Catcher in the Rye for this very reason... I read it when I was 12 and not since so I don't have an opinion anymore

I quite like the Catcher in the Rye, but I interpret it as a tongue in cheek commentary on teenage angst.

Many do not see it this way :pierre:

Who hates TCitR?:eek: Who has such horrible literary taste??
Original post by Brand New Eyes

we're going to max out this thread so much more quickly than the last one :daydreaming:
Reply 3972
mildly relevant and amusing:

Oedipus did not tear out his eyes! He stuck pins in them. Chap certainly did love his mother though, take note Trostky
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Who hates TCitR?:eek: Who has such horrible literary taste??

some critics :dontknow:

I hated The Great Gatsby.
Original post by Planar
Oedipus did not tear out his eyes! He stuck pins in them. Chap certainly did love his mother though, take note Trostky

Not pins, a brooch that belonged to Jocasta (i.e. his mother/wife)
Reply 3975
Then why does she express her ideas in novel form? Seriously they're two of the worst books I've even read :doh:

I'm not sure. I prefer her collections of essays. :sexface:
BUT I DID LIKE ANTHEM.
Original post by Planar

Americans :rolleyes: :tongue:

he didn't know Iocasta was his mother tbf....:holmes:
Reply 3977

I think that's generally agreed upon - interesting ideas, crap novels
Reply 3978

I was expecting a fiery post by you condemning me for my accusations against Nietzsche. Punctuation, y u no b predictables?
some critics :dontknow:

I hated The Great Gatsby.

PRSOM :frown:

Gatsby is so overrated :colonhash:

We all know the only literature worth reading was written in Latin and Greek so this conversation is irrelevant anyway :pierre:

Latest

Trending

Trending