The Student Room Group

Good age to start wearing foundation?

Scroll to see replies

I've had skin problems since I was 11, and I am 23 now. I've gone through phases of wearing foundation, but have not done so for several years now. I don't go bare faced though, I just prefer a good concealer set with powder rather than foundation, I find it looks more 'real'.
Tried to be good for several years, hardly ever wore make-up, and then only eyeshadow for parties (you know the kind. The little kid type. :L) and some lipgloss, never foundation. Sure, I got some spots, but I thought "I'll get spot stuff, they'll go away." When I was 14 I finally got fed up of looking like a pizza and using a stream of products that never worked and got some concealer, which is all I used until I was 15 when I moved on to proper foundation and stuff. I just hate spots so damn much! So I don't care if people think I'm insecure. I finally gave up. I suppose I am secure about my skin, it wrecks the rest of my face. Rawr. I try not to cake it on though. If it's a choice between looking orange and looking red and spotty, I'll go for the latter. Eugh. Finally got one that matches my skin tone though. I'm fairly pale so it was a nightmare. Some companies have a warped idea of pale!
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't, and I have perfect skin. My family has a history of bad skin, too. If my nose gets shiny or anything like that try the inside of a brown envelope, or blotting paper. Absorbs the oil.
Additionally, it's more important what you think of yourself, rather than others. Just wear it if you want to, not because all of your friends are.
Reply 23
I'm 16 and still never worn make-up ¬_¬ I find that it makes me look manly somehow even just a tiny bit. For other people though, I don't think foundation should class as make-up (the subtle ones). It's good for kids who want to imitate mom...
Original post by LipstickKisses
I dont think its to dow its to do with how other people see you, not completely. I make an effort even if Im not going anywhere because I genuinely like to. My point is just you cant claim wearing makeup equals insecurity anymore than wearing nice clothes, underwear, shoes, jewellery and so on also makes you insecure, which it doesnt. Im sure some people wear makeup for insecurity reasons, but it isnt everyone.

It is everyone. You're making out that insecurity is some horrible offensive remark. EVERYONE has insecurity. Everyone. It's not that some people have it and some don't. Everyone has it. Including you. You aren't exempt from having a social consciousness about your appearance.
Reply 25
I first wore foundation for my prom. I'm to lazy to apply makeup so I don't wear it at all. A good age to start is 15 .
Original post by screenager2004
It is everyone. You're making out that insecurity is some horrible offensive remark. EVERYONE has insecurity. Everyone. It's not that some people have it and some don't. Everyone has it. Including you. You aren't exempt from having a social consciousness about your appearance.

No they dont. Wanting to look presentable is something different, I dont understand why you're acting as if they're the same. Insecurity is the opposite of confidence, not some ingrained trait.
No they dont. Wanting to look presentable is something different, I dont understand why you're acting as if they're the same. Insecurity is the opposite of confidence, not some ingrained trait.

You can be insecure and confident, they aren't mutually exclusive.

And you can look perfectly presentable without make-up on. They're not the same thing.
Reply 28
I was about eleven, but I was an early bloomer so I started getting spots earlier than everyone at school. Plus, I used to get them pretty bad and it would make me stand out. |:

I've been wearing it all this time, but I'm not insecure with my skin at all. It just makes me feel a bit more awake on cold mornings and stuff and I can go out with any on.
You can be insecure and confident, they aren't mutually exclusive.

And you can look perfectly presentable without make-up on. They're not the same thing.

You can also be confident without being insecure. I dont see why you think everyone is insecure? And yes you can, but makeup looks better when its applied properly than 'natural'. I dont see why making an effort to look nice sees to equate to insecurity to you.
Right, if thats what happened to you then fine but thats not the case with everyone. Where does this attitude that girls who wear makeup are insecure come from? I wear makeup because I like to and Im not insecure about my face thanks. Why do people who prefer to go natural have to try and ram it down everyones throats that they're somehow morally superior for not wearing makeup? Go natural if you want, but dont claim all girls who wear makeup are insecure because thats just not the case, and is a bit insulting.

I agree with this so, so much. I wear make up because it enhances my features not to hide some massive insecurity.

Everybody looks better with the right make up, let's not pretend that's not true.
Original post by balloon_parade
I agree with this so, so much. I wear make up because it enhances my features not to hide some massive insecurity.

Everybody looks better with the right make up, let's not pretend that's not true.

Exactly, its no different to wearing a nice dress or heels. Completely agree with the last bit, I find that usually, the girls saying 'natural is better!' don't know how to apply make-up properly and have never found the right colours.
You can also be confident without being insecure. I dont see why you think everyone is insecure? And yes you can, but makeup looks better when its applied properly than 'natural'. I dont see why making an effort to look nice sees to equate to insecurity to you.

Insecurity is being conscious of how your appearance affects people's perceptions of you. Wearing make-up makes you think you look nicer. Therefore you are altering your appearance to serve a social function - to affect how you perceive yourself/other people perceive you.

I find it slightly funny that you've become so occupied with my perception of your supposed insecurities (as a make-up wearer), considering how you are so adamant you have no insecurities whatsoever.
Reply 33
I hate it when people say girls wear make up to cover up their insecurities. My dad is constantly telling me this and it really stresses me out. I wear make up to highlight who I am, not cover it up! Maybe those who claim that people who wear makeup are insecure, are actually the insecure ones.
Insecurity is being conscious of how your appearance affects people's perceptions of you. Wearing make-up makes you think you look nicer. Therefore you are altering your appearance to serve a social function - to affect how you perceive yourself/other people perceive you.

I find it slightly funny that you've become so occupied with my perception of your supposed insecurities (as a make-up wearer), considering how you are so adamant you have no insecurities whatsoever.

I wear it when im alone too, its not for other people, it's because I genuinely enjoy wearing it. Using your logic, wearing nice clothes is insecure. Do you believe wearing nice clothes is insecure? And I don't have insecurities, I just find it quite irritating how the au natural girls throw in snarky digs at makeup wearers at every opportunity. if you want to go bare faced, thats fine it's up to you. But don't accuse me of being insecure for wearing makeup.
I wear it when im alone too, its not for other people, it's because I genuinely enjoy wearing it. Using your logic, wearing nice clothes is insecure. Do you believe wearing nice clothes is insecure? And I don't have insecurities, I just find it quite irritating how the au natural girls throw in snarky digs at makeup wearers at every opportunity. if you want to go bare faced, thats fine it's up to you. But don't accuse me of being insecure for wearing makeup.

Yeah wearing nice clothes is insecure too. Wearing it for your own self esteem in private is still insecurity.

Do you feel perfectly beautiful in every way with no possible improvements without make-up on?

If yes - then why wear it?
If no - then clearly you're wearing it to improve your appearance.

If you think your appearance can be improved in some way then you're not 100% confident with it. Doesn't make you a bad or inferior person - that's what being a human is all about. I'm not specifically accusing you. I think it's nuts that you'd claim you have no insecurities at all, that's a massively brash statement to make.

So everyone who shaves their legs/plucks their eyebrows are insecure? Everyone who doesn't dress in a bin bag are insecure, everyone who styles their hair or irons their clothes are insecure?

Come on. What is wrong with wanting to look the best you can! It's not a blanket viewpoint.
Yeah wearing nice clothes is insecure too. Wearing it for your own self esteem in private is still insecurity.

Do you feel perfectly beautiful in every way with no possible improvements without make-up on?

If yes - then why wear it?
If no - then clearly you're wearing it to improve your appearance.

If you think your appearance can be improved in some way then you're not 100% confident with it. Doesn't make you a bad or inferior person - that's what being a human is all about. I'm not specifically accusing you. I think it's nuts that you'd claim you have no insecurities at all, that's a massively brash statement to make.

Do I think I look better with makeup? yes.
Do I think I look ugly without makeup? No
Do I hate how I look without makeup? No.

Thinking something can be improved isnt the same as not being confident. You can be confident in it without thinking it's perfect - I don't see where you've got this impression that confident equals perfect from? Also wearing nice clothes isnt insecure. Why is wanting to look nice insecure? :lolwut:

Lol, you're insecure just face it. Jeez no need to get so denial. If you wear clothes for any other reason than the basic physiological reasons than you're insecure. There's nothing wrong with insecurity. If you were confident (i.e. certainty about the beauty of your looks) with your looks you wouldn't be wearing make up. Its simple really. Keep deluding yourself but the reality is your insecure with your looks but there's nothing wrong with that. We're all insecure to an extent. I'm insecure about the clothes I wear hence wear branded clothes. I'm insecure about my bodytype hence go to the gym to change it. You can hide under banners such as 'looking nice' etc but you're not fooling anyone but yourself.
Do I think I look better with makeup? yes.
Do I think I look ugly without makeup? No
Do I hate how I look without makeup? No.

I didn't say you thought you were ugly, I said you felt uglier. (The opposite of looking better with it, which you freely admitted.)

Thinking something can be improved isnt the same as not being confident. You can be confident in it without thinking it's perfect - I don't see where you've got this impression that confident equals perfect from? Also wearing nice clothes isnt insecure. Why is wanting to look nice insecure? :lolwut:

Because you want to look nice FOR A REASON. You want to make that improvement for a reason.

Quick Reply

Latest