Turn on thread page Beta

New kindle version in november... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I went into PC World this morning to try and buy an kindle with a keyboard, but they didn't have any in stock. The sales person told me that this version wouldn't be in stock again due to a new version being released in early november.

Does any one know what the new version will be?

ReputationRep:
    http:/http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle...pf_rd_i=468294

it's already out, getting it soon hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishmash67)
    I went into PC World this morning to try and buy an kindle with a keyboard, but they didn't have any in stock. The sales person told me that this version wouldn't be in stock again due to a new version being released in early november.

Does any one know what the new version will be?
    You may as well buy it from Amazon if you can, where they have Kindle Keyboard (Wifi + 3G) still on sale as well as the new version. Amazon seem to have stopped selling the Kindle Keyboard (wifi), which is a shame.

The new version is an £89 version that has no keyboard and comes with wifi. It seems very strange of PC World not to continue to stock the 3G version considering the different niches for them.

If you need it fast, I'd recommend either paying for one-day delivery, or signing up for the free trial of Amazon Prime (as long as you remember to cancel in time - it'll automatically renew and cost you £50 if you let it)

ReputationRep:
    Why would you not buy it from Amazon? They are already out there

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine from Tesco a few days ago but I'm not sure if they hold any in stock as I ordered mine on their website for collection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darren-M)
    You may as well buy it from Amazon if you can, where they have Kindle Keyboard (Wifi + 3G) still on sale as well as the new version. Amazon seem to have stopped selling the Kindle Keyboard (wifi), which is a shame.

The new version is an £89 version that has no keyboard and comes with wifi. It seems very strange of PC World not to continue to stock the 3G version considering the different niches for them.

If you need it fast, I'd recommend either paying for one-day delivery, or signing up for the free trial of Amazon Prime (as long as you remember to cancel in time - it'll automatically renew and cost you £50 if you let it)

I know there is the new version at £89 but the guy in the shop seemed to think that a different model to that was going to be released soon... I think he said on the 15th but im not 100% sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishmash67)
    I know there is the new version at £89 but the guy in the shop seemed to think that a different model to that was going to be released soon... I think he said on the 15th but im not 100% sure
    I'm curious what he means. I'm pretty sure Amazon have no intentions to release the Kindle Touch or the Kindle Fire to the UK and even if they were I imagine PC World would continue to sell the cheaper version. Maybe PC World know something I don't, but there isn't any news on the web that I can see about it.

As has been mentioned above, a few other retailers sell Kindles. Stores including Tesco and Waterstones should be stocking them, although I don't know which specific models.

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious what he means. I'm pretty sure Amazon have no intentions to release the Kindle Touch or the Kindle Fire to the UK and even if they were I imagine PC World would continue to sell the cheaper version. Maybe PC World know something I don't, but there isn't any news on the web that I can see about it.

As has been mentioned above, a few other retailers sell Kindles. Stores including Tesco and Waterstones should be stocking them, although I don't know which specific models.
    Waterstones don't stock them since they're looking to introduce their own reader. I've already tried two different Waterstones in Milton Keynes and it's always the same answer, 'No' followed by a nasty look.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    Waterstones don't stock them since they're looking to introduce their own reader. I've already tried two different Waterstones in Milton Keynes and it's always the same answer, 'No' followed by a nasty look.
    Interesting. My local Waterstones definitely stocked the Sony eReader the last time I was in, and I'm pretty sure it was accompanied by a Kindle next to it. Seems dangerous for Waterstones to be launching their own when it'd need so much investment from them to knock the Nook/Kindle inside; I haven't heard anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. My local Waterstones definitely stocked the Sony eReader the last time I was in, and I'm pretty sure it was accompanied by a Kindle next to it. Seems dangerous for Waterstones to be launching their own when it'd need so much investment from them to knock the Nook/Kindle inside; I haven't heard anything about it.
    It's just rumours. I can't see it becoming anything else other than rumours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14841692

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    It's just rumours. I can't see it becoming anything else other than rumours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14841692
    Ah, fair enough. Weird that they've already begun taking rival eReaders off their shelves.. seems like a dubious attempt to 'get on the latest craze' and I wonder just how much they'll actually make off them compared to the cut they get from selling Kindles or the like..

Ah well, I only go into Waterstones to browse for good titles to buy from Amazon, anyway. Books in there cost a bloody fortune!

ReputationRep:

I think ive found what he meant... The kindle 3 is being replaced by the kindle 3g which is the same but with a software update

I think

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 30, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.