Turn on thread page Beta

Horrible numerical skills aptitude tests watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I suck at them...I found this one excercise that ask 24 questions..If I do it over and over again..will i get better?

ReputationRep:
    Practice makes perfect, especially with maths. I came from a history background and passed the numerical tests for finance positions through practice.

ReputationRep:
    What sites do you use to practise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1001)
    What sites do you use to practise?
    Well there is this one on kent uni thats preety good

Google numerical reasoning and kent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_comeback)
    Well there is this one on kent uni thats preety good

Google numerical reasoning and kent?
    It's good so long as you're not applying for:

centrica
    civil service fast stream
    big 4 accountancy firms

Kent does have a superb website for careers. I'm frankly shocked they leave it open for all to read.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Llamageddon)

centrica
    Just how difficult is the Centrica one? I've heard many people say it's a complete nightmare... it's kinda putting me off completing my application.

I also did a numerical test for BG Group last year and it was much harder than the one on Kent uni's website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Just how difficult is the Centrica one? I've heard many people say it's a complete nightmare... it's kinda putting me off completing my application.

I also did a numerical test for BG Group last year and it was much harder than the one on Kent uni's website.
    Oh jesus that sounds bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

It is very hard but I wouldn't let that put you off. You're not competing against a computer but rather human beings who also find the test hard. The questions themselves aren't difficult it's more the time and you aren't expected to get 100%.

ReputationRep:

centrica
    civil service fast stream
    big 4 accountancy firms

Kent does have a superb website for careers. I'm frankly shocked they leave it open for all to read.
    What about Network Rail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_comeback)
    What about Network Rail?
    I've never tried. I only had a fleeting flirtation with the idea of accountancy and the network rail finance scheme looked pretty bad.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It is very hard but I wouldn't let that put you off. You're not competing against a computer but rather human beings who also find the test hard. The questions themselves aren't difficult it's more the time and you aren't expected to get 100%.
    Okay, thanks. Do they actually use the test results so select who to interview? I thought they only use them as a pass/fail type test where those who get below a certain score will not be interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Okay, thanks. Do they actually use the test results so select who to interview? I thought they only use them as a pass/fail type test where those who get below a certain score will not be interviewed.
    the pass/ fail score is defined by predictions of how many people are going to reach it though. What I am trying to say is that what matters is where you fall on the bell curve rather than how hard the test is. Being in the top 20% in an easier exam against the same applicants is just as hard as being in the top 20% in a harder exam, if that makes any sense?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    the pass/ fail score is defined by predictions of how many people are going to reach it though. What I am trying to say is that what matters is where you fall on the bell curve rather than how hard the test is. Being in the top 20% in an easier exam against the same applicants is just as hard as being in the top 20% in a harder exam, if that makes any sense?
    It makes perfect sense, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I also find these a nightmare. The Kent uni website is really good, and for other things like personality tests. I am just practising as much as possible to try and get my speed up, it takes me so long to work out one question. This is what comes of an arts degree...

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.