Turn on thread page Beta

Recently my LDR boyfriend suggested we should take a break... Should we? watch

Announcements

In a week I am thinking the answer should be yes, even if what he said upset me. We have been going out for 3 years now, are both 20 (he will soon be 21) and we have both invested a massive amount of time together.

I do really love him, and I do really love him, but we have missed a lot of experiences. Currently I am not thinking 'wow I want to have sex with this man or that man', though I do miss having someone there to cuddle and at times do feel a bit horny. We see each other every two months and spend christmas and summer together... It is usually great when we are together, but should we make the relationship a little bit more open to allow other experiences? I will not go and seek them out, but I mean, I don't want to miss out on a good experience just because I am in a long distance relationship...

I say this but initially it wasn't my idea, I got used to the idea of compromising my desires for him because he is really special, but seeing as he expressed the interest, shall we go for it?

ReputationRep:
    You've been going out for three years and your 20? It sounds like he wants to see what else is out there. Really it could be good for both of you.

I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years because we had spent our entire adult life together! It wasn't really that i had my eye on anyone else but i just wanted to experience being single. I wasn't sure if i wanted to be with my boyfriend still and i thought taking a break would help clear my head and i'd either realise i missed him or that i prefer life without him. Turned out i prefered life without him.

ReputationRep:
    Only time I've suggested a break, it was because I wanted to break up but didn't want to have to deal with him crying about it at the time. I had no intention of getting back together.

If you want to try an open relationship and you're both able to deal with all that it entails, feel free.. But you'll need to be aware that there is a chance that one of you may develop strong feelings for someone else.

yeah but he says he promises he loves me he just wants to forget me for a few days because he feels as if his life revolves around me. This is kinda sad though, given we are LDR. He said he promised we would stop the pause in two weeks, when i next see him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.