The Student Room Group

GCSE Science C1 Air Quality help!

So we've been given this sheet for homework, and I have access to the textbook online, but I'm stuck! I've attached pictures, but couldn't copy or print screen, so I had to take pictures, sorry!

(Oh, and I also tried searching for the sheet online :colondollar:, but couldn't find it! :-( )

This is the part of the sheet I need help with first (incase you can't read it)

Waste gases from a power station pass through a wet scrubber where they are sprayed with - and -. The spray reacts with pollutant - (i'm guessing sulphur dioxide) in the waste gases and - - is formed. This can sometimes be sold and used as -.

Another way of removing sulphur dioxide form the waste gases from the waste gases produced by a power station is by oxidation and then reaction with -. The solid that forms is - -. This can be sold and used as a -.

I'm assume the first three blanks are lime, water and sulphur dioxide, but that's the extent of my knowledge :-(

I don't understand what the two formations could be? All I can see is calcium sulphate??? Arrrgh, help!

The second part I need help with is the table.

Sorry for the crappy quality!!

The first 4 are pages in the text book, the 5th is a (badly) zoomed in picture of the 'sulphur dioxide' section, and the last 2 are the sheet sections I need help with.

PLEASE HELP, I'LL GIVE YOU COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF VIRTUAL CAKE AND CUDDLES! :biggrin:
Help me! :-(
crycrycrycrycry :frown:
Arrgh! Please help! I'm desperate! :frown: :frown:
Original post by Raza098

What exam board are you with?

Will this help? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Revision:GCSE_Science_OCR_C1_Air_pollutants
Original post by Raza098

Btw, the pics don't help as they are really small.
OCR and it slightly helps, but I'm confused as to what the sheet is saying :frown: Don't have science till Wedensday, so I may just go and see her before hand. Thank you anyway! I appreciate it!
Original post by WhiteSlice14
Btw, the pics don't help as they are really small.

Arrgh, sorry, didn't realise they wouldn't go bigger when clicked on. -.-
Original post by Raza098
OCR and it slightly helps, but I'm confused as to what the sheet is saying :frown: Don't have science till Wedensday, so I may just go and see her before hand. Thank you anyway! I appreciate it!

That's okay. Sorry I couldn't help you more :frown:
So we've been given this sheet for homework, and I have access to the textbook online, but I'm stuck! I've attached pictures, but couldn't copy or print screen, so I had to take pictures, sorry!

(Oh, and I also tried searching for the sheet online :colondollar:, but couldn't find it! :-( )

This is the part of the sheet I need help with first (incase you can't read it)

Waste gases from a power station pass through a wet scrubber where they are sprayed with lime and water. The spray reacts with pollutant Sulphur Dioxide (i'm guessing sulphur dioxide) in the waste gases and Calcium Sulfate is formed. This can sometimes be sold and used as Building plaster.

Another way of removing sulphur dioxide form the waste gases from the waste gases produced by a power station is by oxidation and then reaction with -. The solid that forms is - -. This can be sold and used as a -.

I'm assume the first three blanks are lime, water and sulphur dioxide, but that's the extent of my knowledge :-(

I don't understand what the two formations could be? All I can see is calcium sulphate??? Arrrgh, help!

The second part I need help with is the table.

Sorry for the crappy quality!!

The first 4 are pages in the text book, the 5th is a (badly) zoomed in picture of the 'sulphur dioxide' section, and the last 2 are the sheet sections I need help with.

PLEASE HELP, I'LL GIVE YOU COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF VIRTUAL CAKE AND CUDDLES! :biggrin:

Well the flue gases can be cleaned with seawater or lime and water the lime and water solution produces calcium sulfate

I know this won't be of any help now since the exams have already been taken

Sorry about this late reply

Quick Reply

Latest