Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm a newbie, I just wanted to ask, does anyone know if we need to know the charges on common ions for AS chemistry? (or will I need to know them next year as well?) :confused:

I've been given a sheet with a load of them on, and I know some you can work out from which group they are in the periodic table, but others you just have to know, so will I need them?

And also, do you have to be able to write ionic equations?

Thank you! xo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaraBelle)
    Hi guys,

I'm a newbie, I just wanted to ask, does anyone know if we need to know the charges on common ions for AS chemistry? (or will I need to know them next year as well?) :confused:

I've been given a sheet with a load of them on, and I know some you can work out from which group they are in the periodic table, but others you just have to know, so will I need them?

And also, do you have to be able to write ionic equations?

Thank you! xo
    1. You don't need to, but if you're at this stage, you should know them off by heart anyway, or at least be able to work them out.

2. Yes

ReputationRep:
    In order to be successful at AS chemistry, yes and yes.

Eventually, you'll just know many of the charges off-by-heart. Ionic equations are explicitly part of the specification so definitely learn them and understand how they're constructed. There were a few relevant questions in the AS exams I did last year so they're pretty important and are an easy way to pick up marks!

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know them atm, so I guess I better get learning

I didn't realise ionic equations were on the specification, thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers guys
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TaraBelle)
    I don't know them atm, so I guess I better get learning

I didn't realise ionic equations were on the specification, thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers guys
    www.alevelchem.com

This site is built around the AQA AS and A2 specifications. It also has a link to the complete specification in pdf to download.

You should get familiar with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    www.alevelchem.com

This site is built around the AQA AS and A2 specifications. It also has a link to the complete specification in pdf to download.

You should get familiar with it.
    This is brilliant! Thanks so much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 30, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.