Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ello there,
    Heard that mediafire is a good website to get music from, but it requires Winrar, which apparently isn't free. But 7zip I heard is similar to Winrar but IS free so which one is actually better???

ReputationRep:
    The differences between them are irrelevant if you want to simply download music or whatever you're doing. Just get 7zip.

ReputationRep:
    7zip has failed to handle some archives I have thrown at it over the years. WinRAR has been pretty much flawless.

ReputationRep:
    I personally havn't ever had any problems with 7zip, WinRAR is better, but i havn't felt the need to get it. Get 7zip, it should be fine for what your intending to use it for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebellious-Steve)
    The differences between them are irrelevant if you want to simply download music or whatever you're doing. Just get 7zip.
    (Original post by maturestudy)
    7zip has failed to handle some archives I have thrown at it over the years. WinRAR has been pretty much flawless.
    (Original post by daviesblue)
    I personally havn't ever had any problems with 7zip, WinRAR is better, but i havn't felt the need to get it. Get 7zip, it should be fine for what your intending to use it for.

But doesn't WinRAR charge????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alientrooper)
    But doesn't WinRAR charge????
    Yep, thats why 7zip is the best option for what you need. Like someone else said, WinRAR is more capable for certain archives iv heard, but iv never had a problem with 7zip to experience this myself.

ReputationRep:
    WinRAR is basically free, after the free trial all it does is nag you every time it's opened, which you don't even need to do as you can just right click>extract here/to xyz.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can just close the dialog box asking you to pay for it. It's more of a... suggestion

I use WinRar.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use WinRAR but switched to 7-Zip a couple of years ago. I have never experienced any compatibility issues but I do try to avoid using rar files where possible but you often can't avoid them when downloading.

I prefer to use 7-Zip as it is open source software, and I like open source software.

ReputationRep:
    More or less, they do similar things, and for what you'll be using them for -- extracting archives -- it's unlikely that you'd notice any differences other than their user interfaces. Because of this, I'd recommend 7-Zip over WinRAR as it is free software.

ReputationRep:
    LZMA (as used by 7-zip) is slightly better than RAR, but for just reading archives, there is little difference, aside from the annoying prompts that WinRAR produces.
    I switched from WinRAR to 7-zip a short while ago, but have had both of them installed for a while.

ReputationRep:
    I use ALZip. :ninja:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 1, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.