The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B F331 Chemistry for Life (13-01-2012)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zhy
Thanks for your advice. My teacher said he gives lots of additional time, so I hope I can do it.

I am aiming for full UMS because I know I will be better at F332. If I can get full UMS in F331 and F332, I can afford to do awful in the AS practicals and still get an A.

What did you get in the June 11 past paper?
Reply 61
Original post by Freiheit
Also I would recommend you to buy the CGP revision guide for this course that contains AS and A2, it will be money worth spent by all means.

I've got the CGP one and its kinda confusing The mark schemes for F331 are really specific you'll just end up losing marks with CGP.

Chemical Ideas all the way
Reply 62
Original post by Joker_123
What did you get in the June 11 past paper?

57/60
Reply 63
I've got the CGP one and its kinda confusing The mark schemes for F331 are really specific you'll just end up losing marks with CGP.

Chemical Ideas all the way

That's weird. I used chemical ideas for learning the content during lessons. Then using CGP when going over each point in the specification was very useful for me, especially for the experimental techniques, reactions and trends they ask during F332.
Reply 64
What UMS mark is everyone aiming for?

Only need 68/90 for an A overall for AS :biggrin:
Reply 65
Does anyone else think they give you way too much time for this exam?

Lol trust me time flies during this exam...you might be all comfy and chilled at home with no distractions but you'l be sweating it in the exam with a person sitting next to u shaking uncontrllably and an annoying flirty invigilator in heels >.< well that happened to me lool
Reply 66
Original post by Hanz_a93
Lol trust me time flies during this exam...you might be all comfy and chilled at home with no distractions but you'l be sweating it in the exam with a person sitting next to u shaking uncontrllably and an annoying flirty invigilator in heels >.< well that happened to me lool

Ah that happens to me too! My invigilator is REALLY hot and she always wears a short dress and high heels. I could swear that she is in her early twenties. When she comes next to me and bends down to ask me a question her breasts almost fall out of her top... I have had many hard-ons from having her as my invigilator. Gorgeous face, hot body, lovely feet...

...uhh, anyway...

What past papers have people done?

Does anyone have the June 2001 MS?
Reply 67
Doing 2850 ones.

Does anbody know if 1st, 2nd etc Ionisation enthalpies carried on from the 2850 spec to the F331?
Reply 68
Doing 2850 ones.

Does anbody know if 1st, 2nd etc Ionisation enthalpies carried on from the 2850 spec to the F331?

I think so. It is in Chemical Ideas. Learn it anyway to be safe.
Original post by Hanz_a93
Only need 68/90 for an A overall for AS :biggrin:

I got in E in AS chemistry back in 2008, I'll tell you what.

Now I'm doing a chemsitry degree. Who would have thought it?
Hey everyone :smile: first off, good luck, I'm certain you'll all ace it :biggrin:

I am retaking this paper for the first time - took it in June 2011 session, and got a B (although an A overall at AS). Overall, I'm aiming for an A at A2, so obviously any UMS gained would make this more easily achieved hence the retake! I'm quite worried about doing well at A2, so a solid AS grade would make me feel a little better.

Thanks for posting up the June '11 paper, just finished doing it! Is there a mark scheme about so I can see if I've done any better this time?
Mark scheme here guys, found it if anyone else hasn't :smile:

http://www.hartismere.com/DocFolder/10030/F331%20June%2011%20Mkscheme.pdf
Reply 72
Many thanks!
Reply 73
Original post by brighteyes1994
Mark scheme here guys, found it if anyone else hasn't :smile:

http://www.hartismere.com/DocFolder/10030/F331%20June%2011%20Mkscheme.pdf

wow the mark scheme is sucha specific bch! just like the jan2010 one! ah it explains how did i did so terribly in that exam..
Reply 74
First time a question a 5-marker has come up about the mass spectrometer. Will we see a new 5-marker for Jan 2012?

Absorption spectra 5-marker perhaps?
Homogeneous catalysis 5-marker?
Oh I hope we don't have a long question on spectra D:

It was very specific and because the boundaries were high it was easy to drop a grade :/
Reply 76
Oh I hope we don't have a long question on spectra D:

It was very specific and because the boundaries were high it was easy to drop a grade :/

You'll be fine... for most long spectra questions I write this and I have got it right every time:

-Electrons absorb energy and are promoted to higher electronic energy levels
-As they fall back to their ground states, they lose energy in the form of light (by emitting photons)
-Spectral lines are discrete because energy levels are quantised
-The size of the energy gap between electronic energy levels is related to the frequency of the photon emitted, given by Planck's law, E = hv (or E = hf)
-The larger the size of the energy gap, the higher the frequency of the photon emitted
-Each set of lines represent drops to different lower energy levels
-The lines get closer together as the frequency increases because the difference between energy levels decreases. This can be seen in Lyman or Balmer series

It's more than you need to say but it will most likely get you all the marks, I think.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zhy
You'll be fine... for most long spectra questions I write this and I have got it right every time:

-Electrons are absorb energy and are promoted to higher electronic energy levels
-As they fall back to their ground states, they lose energy in the form of light (by emitting photons)
-Spectral lines are discrete because energy levels are quantised
-The size of the energy gap between electronic energy levels is related to the frequency of the photon emitted, given by Planck's law, E = hv (or E = hf)
-The larger the size of the energy gap, the higher the frequency of the photon emitted
-Each set of lines represent drops to different lower energy levels
-The lines get closer together as the frequency increases because the difference between energy levels decreases. This can be seen in Lyman or Balmer series

It's more than you need to say but it will most likely get you all the marks, I think.

Ahh ideal! Thanks :smile:
Reply 78
Great way to answer any shapes of molecules question that ask for the shape/bond angle:

(Replace the ____ with the appropriate word/number)

There are ___ regions of electron density around the central ____ atom. The electrons repel as far as possible to minimise electronic repulsion and energy. This causes the shape of the molecule to change into a _____ shape with bond angle roughly equal to ____.

Anyone got any more tips?
Reply 79
Ahh ideal! Thanks :smile:

No problem. :smile:

Also try to use the word 'specific', that comes up a lot... e.g. 'specific' frequencies, though I doubt you will lose marks for putting it in the wrong place!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending