The Student Room Group

So I got mugged...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by morris743
Young people are more clued up on the dangers.

Definitely get locks changed for piece of mind and indeed cutting the danger. You just never know these days.

Definitely block your debit card if you haven't already.

Definitely get your old driving licence blocked. Again just incase.

That's all very true, thanks for that. Really don't fancy having my identity stolen!
Hang on, picking on a female, a gang of four?

How ****ing sad is this country now?
Reply 22
Original post by vintage_007
A bit younger than me - maybe 18ish?

Really doubt they'd come to your house then. Change your locks just to be on the safe side though.
Hi all,

Am hoping that people here might have had more experience in these things than me (even though I don't want anyone else to have had to go through that!)...

Basically, I got mugged coming back from Fulham on Saturday morning and lost my debit card, driving licence, iPhone, keys, etc.

I'm worried that I still had my address in my message history from when I had a flatwarming party a fortnight ago and that, with my keys, means that I might need to get the locks changed. Part of me thinks that they were only after my phone and have probably ditched my keys but people have told me horror stories about keys being sold on with peoples' addresses - potentially to those capable of more than mugging...

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts - feel free to tell me I'm being particularly pessimistic or optimistic!

Also, I've had my phone barred by O2 but I know that iPhones are relatively easy to jailbreak - does that mean they can still access my messages? I had it blocked about 12 hours after having my phone stolen so I presume they wouldn't have taken down my address before then but, if there's still a way of them accessing the information, then I don't want to be waiting for them to come calling at my flat.

Basically, what would you do in this situation?

Thanks for any advice! Xx

Sorry to hear this has happened, I hope you aren't physically or mentally harmed by it.
It is very annoying and frustrating to lose all those things. Even after you get them replaced it'll still bother you no doubt.

Bear in mind that your address might not be on your keys but it will be on your driving license so best to get your locks changed.

All I can say otherwise is that once again I'm sorry to hear that happened and I hope you recover and get past it ok!
Reply 24
Original post by ChapelTom
Hang on, picking on a female, a gang of four?

How ****ing sad is this country now?

Not great but it was a stupid female who decided to walk home alone at 2am whilst half-cut...

Original post by Tom2011
Really doubt they'd come to your house then. Change your locks just to be on the safe side though.

Yeah that's a good point but will do :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Tom2011

You mustn't live in an average British town / city. I wouldn't put it past people that age living where I am.
Reply 26
You mustn't live in an average British town / city. I wouldn't put it past people that age living where I am.

Just can't see an 18yr old going from Fulham to Essex (50 miles) to try and get into someones house.
Reply 27
Original post by Tom2011
Just can't see an 18yr old going from Fulham to Essex to try and get into someones house.

Perhaps I'm too cautious! But caution is better than thinking "oh hell no I should have paid attention to those guys online" when you and your family are being scared by these bunch of lame crooks.
Not great but it was a stupid female who decided to walk home alone at 2am whilst half-cut...

Yeah that's a good point but will do :smile:

I'm the most dizziest person ever, could lose my head if it wasn't screwed on. Were all pretty stupid at times, me especially :biggrin:

I managed to leave my wallet on an empty train, provisional licence, £20 cash, railcard. I was worried at first but 3 months on, nothing's ever happened. With me they probably took the cash and binned the rest. I was quite drunk though, my mate's solution was to buy me another pint :s-smilie: ... moron :biggrin:

Hope you get it all sorted and no-one has been daft enough to come and find you

Still robbing someone drunk is harsh. Bit sad really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Perhaps I'm too cautious! But caution is better than thinking "oh hell no I should have paid attention to those guys online" when you and your family are being scared by these bunch of lame crooks.

Ofcourse, change your locks and be cautious. Not saying you shouldn't but you don't have to be threatened by some lowlife kids in your own house.
Tbh, if they know where you live and have keys then they're coming for you. And let me tell you this, if they arrive to find the locks have been changed their not going to take a brisk walk back home.

Get cameras installed and those alarms which alert the police!
Original post by pinda.college
Tbh, if they know where you live and have keys then they're coming for you. And let me tell you this, if they arrive to find the locks have been changed their not going to take a brisk walk back home.

Oh come now, are people really that sad to find someone? Or have I misjudged the retardedness of this country?
Hi all,

Am hoping that people here might have had more experience in these things than me (even though I don't want anyone else to have had to go through that!)...

Basically, I got mugged coming back from Fulham on Saturday morning and lost my debit card, driving licence, iPhone, keys, etc.

I'm worried that I still had my address in my message history from when I had a flatwarming party a fortnight ago and that, with my keys, means that I might need to get the locks changed. Part of me thinks that they were only after my phone and have probably ditched my keys but people have told me horror stories about keys being sold on with peoples' addresses - potentially to those capable of more than mugging...

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts - feel free to tell me I'm being particularly pessimistic or optimistic!

Also, I've had my phone barred by O2 but I know that iPhones are relatively easy to jailbreak - does that mean they can still access my messages? I had it blocked about 12 hours after having my phone stolen so I presume they wouldn't have taken down my address before then but, if there's still a way of them accessing the information, then I don't want to be waiting for them to come calling at my flat.

Basically, what would you do in this situation?

Thanks for any advice! Xx

Do you what 'being mugged' mean?

I mean you say that "I got mugged coming back from Fulham on Saturday morning and lost my debit card, driving licence, iPhone, keys, etc."You just contradicted what happend!
Reply 33
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU

I mean you say that "I got mugged coming back from Fulham on Saturday morning and lost my debit card, driving licence, iPhone, keys, etc."You just contradicted what happend!

Definition of lost "a. No longer in the possession, care, or control of someone or something"

Yes, she is not in possession of her debit card, driving license, iPhone or keys.

Whats the problem?
Reply 34
Original post by thunder_chunky
Sorry to hear this has happened, I hope you aren't physically or mentally harmed by it.
It is very annoying and frustrating to lose all those things. Even after you get them replaced it'll still bother you no doubt.

Bear in mind that your address might not be on your keys but it will be on your driving license so best to get your locks changed.

All I can say otherwise is that once again I'm sorry to hear that happened and I hope you recover and get past it ok!

Thanks, I'm fine, just anxious! Serves me right for thinking I'm invincible though...

Damn, good point about the address on my keys - that is my home address though and they'd have to get a train out to Essex! Thanks again :smile:

It's sad that we have to be this pessimistic in this day and age, isn't it?!

Original post by Tom2011
Just can't see an 18yr old going from Fulham to Essex (50 miles) to try and get into someones house.

Probably true but people keep telling me that petty criminals sell keys on to others :frown:

There probably isn't such a thing as too cautious! Yeah, my mum's not up for getting my home locks changed - it was my London address I was thinking about but maybe I should try to convince her too...

I'm the most dizziest person ever, could lose my head if it wasn't screwed on. Were all pretty stupid at times, me especially :biggrin:

I managed to leave my wallet on an empty train, provisional licence, £20 cash, railcard. I was worried at first but 3 months on, nothing's ever happened. With me they probably took the cash and binned the rest. I was quite drunk though, my mate's solution was to buy me another pint :s-smilie: ... moron :biggrin:

Hope you get it all sorted and no-one has been daft enough to come and find you

Still robbing someone drunk is harsh. Bit sad really.

Aww that's not good but at least you got another pint out of it :wink: It is worrying, I just don't want to have to be on my guard all the time...

I'm not in London at the mo but my flatmate doesn't care!

Yeah, but as I said, it is my own fault so I'm to blame!

Original post by Tom2011
Ofcourse, change your locks and be cautious. Not saying you shouldn't but you don't have to be threatened by some lowlife kids in your own house.

Okay, thank you!
Oh come now, are people really that sad to find someone? Or have I misjudged the retardedness of this country?

If they're willing to mug someone, I doubt they'll hesitate to rob an unoccupied house. So unless OP wants to some home one day to find everything missing I seriously advise taking some precautions other than having the locks changed. OP did you have any photos of the exterior/interior of your house in your phone?
Reply 36
Unfortunately it happens.
Reply 37

Joy, thanks for that encouraging advice! So basically getting the locks changed would be no use then! Losing my material possessions doesn't worry me all that much but I don't like the thought of anything worse happening.

Oh come now, are people really that sad to find someone? Or have I misjudged the ******edness of this country?

I hope (and expect!) you're right!

Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU

Obviously I didn't mean lost in the traditional sense - I meant the definition kindly listed below!

Original post by Tom2011
Definition of lost "a. No longer in the possession, care, or control of someone or something"

Yes, she is not in possession of her debit card, driving license, iPhone or keys.

Whats the problem?

Thank you!

If they're willing to mug someone, I doubt they'll hesitate to rob an unoccupied house. So unless OP wants to some home one day to find everything missing I seriously advise taking some precautions other than having the locks changed. OP did you have any photos of the exterior/interior of your house in your phone?

Neither my flat or house are unoccupied and both are relatively far from where I got mugged, so hopefully they'll be deterred by that... I had some photos of marks on the wall in the flat for my landlord's reference but that's it.

Yes, O2 have blocked my phone, I just thought that they could be unblocked by people with know how?

Apple don't seem to offer any advice besides being able to get back your music via iTunes.

Yes I should have done that - I'm such an idiot! Gah.
Never go to sleep without a cricket bat beside your bedside.
Reply 39
Original post by puma21
Unfortunately it happens.

Same with neg rep, I suspect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending