Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I naturally move my arms and hands when I talk, as a way of emphasing my speech. For example, if I were telling someone that the big and little horse galloped through the field, I might gesture 'big' and 'small' with my hands, then move both of them to indicate 'through the field'. However, often they're not even that descriptive, just general movement. It's not a conscious act, in fact I have to concentrate very hard to not do it.

I've recently noticed that people are mocking me for it; when I'm talking to someone, I see them standing behind the person moving their hands around - that sort of thing.

Is it really so unusual to move one's hands when talking? I guess I assumed a lot of people do it, but now I look around I don't see many people gesticulating like this...

ReputationRep:
    *waves hands, wags finger*.

Don't think it's that unusual .
    I use my hands quite a lot I think, although I am told I move my eyebrows a lot *raises right eyebrow*
    You probably just get mocked for a bit of banter- much worse things to be known for :P

ReputationRep:
    I do this so so much, but I think I got it from my mum, who does it an awful lot (possibly because she's a teacher of the deaf).

ReputationRep:
    I also do this

ReputationRep:
    People might find it strange because its kind of redundant to make those gestures when you're saying the exact same thing.
    Or maybe they associate it with communication for the deaf. :dontknow:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.