The Student Room Group

100,000 turtles sacrificed in ritual slaughter to celebrate Hindu festival

Scroll to see replies

I have to say that is massively hyped by the Daily Mail. I am a Hindu and we all believe in Ahimsa (no harm to any living thing) and the sacrifice of turtles goes against this. It's generally small rural areas in India full of inbred outkasts that do this or countries like Bangladesh that do this and use Hinduism as a scapegoat and are frowned heavily upon by the majority of India and Hindus.

The majority of people sacrifice much of their wealth/years salary during Diwali. Once again the Daily Fail lies through its teeth and people believe this rubbish.
Reply 61
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
People eat animals. Sad but true. Sad time to be a turtle or a sheep, what with eid al adhha coming up.

Or a turkey what with Christmas coming up. :smile:
Reply 62
And these cow-piss-drinkers portray themselves to be vegetarians.
Reply 63
They've just killed 100.000 Vishnus lol

Reply 64
What's the problem with eating these turtles apart from the reason that they're rare? Different cultures have different diets, and what may seem weird and unnatural to one country may be completely normal to another. In the UK people keep cats and dogs as pets, whereas in places like China, they make cat and dog stews as part of a normal diet.

I think people need to get over it and come to realise that you can't control the food that other people eat or be a meat eater yourself and be critical and selective of the types of meat that other people eat. You either become a complete vegetarian or shut up and not be a hypocrite.
Reply 65
Original post by Einheri
No, but slaughtering endangered species for no valid reason is beyond retarded. Also, you misspelled "success".

someone had that username already so i had to look for an alternative
Reply 66
I remember watching on France Today where Hindus were very protective of cows even resorting to violence to protect them from being sold on into Bangladesh for the lucrative leather trade.

So you know, they protect animals stringently on one hand...:erm:
They look delicious to be honest.
Reply 68
i like turtles
Reply 69
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Is it sustainable though? If not, it's horrible... Well I say that but to be honest that's one way for a species to go.. I mean... that's how we got rid of the Dodo..

does it matter
Reply 70
Question: Whats the difference between eating a species that is endangered as opposed to one that isn't? Particularly if it has no importance/major role in the eco-system? Other than for aesthetic purposes what's the importance of "preserving" these species?
Reply 71
Original post by sucess
someone had that username already so i had to look for an alternative

Still, it's pretty laughable that you fail at spelling "success".
Reply 72
Original post by Einheri
No, but slaughtering endangered species for no valid reason is beyond retarded. Also, you misspelled "success".

There are valid reasons for slaughter?
Reply 73
Original post by Stilo
There are valid reasons for slaughter?

You slaughter pigs for bacon, cows for hamburgers, sheep for mutton - all pretty valid to me. Slaughtering critically endangered species to appease some bull**** deity - not valid.
Original post by B-Man.
Do you understand the repercussions that wiping out a species has on the environment? Preventing the extinction of a species is about more than just "we want to keep cute animals around" you know.

Do you? No.
Original post by Einheri
Still, it's pretty laughable that you fail at spelling "success".

If you could read modern-day English you would have seen that they can spell it, but it was taken.

As I said the other day: you sound fun.
Reply 76
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
If you could read modern-day English you would have seen that they can spell it, but it was taken.

As I said the other day: you sound fun.

So he said. My guess is he spelled it wrong then made that crap up afterwards.

I don't give a toss what you think. Go eat dick.
Reply 77
Original post by sucess
so..............

their culture leave them alone

the Indians themselves would be shocked at how many cows are slaughtered here daily

Cows aren't endangered.
Reply 78
Isn't there a less rare species of turtle they could use?
cultural tribal bull****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending