Nursing Applicants for 2012 Watch

prkp12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Didn't know where to post this so I'm sorry if it is the wrong place but I have a few questions about the Nursing courses in Scotland.

I'm going to apply to UWS for Adult Nursing and Mental Health Nursing and my higher grades are BBCC which is above the entry requirements and they include Art, Biology, Maths & English. I also have Chemistry at B in int2. I was wondering if it was likely for me to receive an unconditional with these grades? Obviously it won't be till after my interview this happens but still, I was considering leaving school and look for a part time job until next september and mabye looking for some volunteer work in nursing to prepare me. So could I write in my personal statement I have left school and doing this or would I have a disadvantage because I left school? Sorry if none of this makes sense but I don't want to leave school and get rejected because they would have preferred me to get a B in a subject and give me an conditional or something!
prkp12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Also since I asked about that I have other questions. What's the interviews like? Just one person or a few? and what are the tests like? I know you get a numeracy and literacy test! Any help about the course would be grand!
jordan0141
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I think it could be a disadvantage if you left school, although it seems likely that you will receive an unconditional offer it may be difficult for them to base a conditional on anything if you leave. You could just volunteer once a week in a retirement home or with a first aid organisation and that would show your ability to commit to several things at once.

Good luck on your application !
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by prkp12)
Didn't know where to post this so I'm sorry if it is the wrong place but I have a few questions about the Nursing courses in Scotland.

I'm going to apply to UWS for Adult Nursing and Mental Health Nursing and my higher grades are BBCC which is above the entry requirements and they include Art, Biology, Maths & English. I also have Chemistry at B in int2. I was wondering if it was likely for me to receive an unconditional with these grades? Obviously it won't be till after my interview this happens but still, I was considering leaving school and look for a part time job until next september and mabye looking for some volunteer work in nursing to prepare me. So could I write in my personal statement I have left school and doing this or would I have a disadvantage because I left school? Sorry if none of this makes sense but I don't want to leave school and get rejected because they would have preferred me to get a B in a subject and give me an conditional or something!
You need to ask the unis concerned what they would think about this. As a general principle, I would expect them to prefer you to continue your education to Advanced Higher if you can. As to whether the grades you already have would be sufficient, again you need to ask them.

That said, solid relevant work experience, whether paid or as a volunteer, would be helpful, and may make the difference if your grades are lower than the average offered by applicants for the nursing courses (remember that these may be higher than the minimum requirements - minimum means just that).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?