The Student Room Group

2012 applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lalonde
i emailed them too

cardiff told me to email them back in a few weeks time
leeds and sheffield replied quickly
manchester appear to have ignored it, which i'm not bothered about because it's not a university i'm interested in applying to

did you give a reason why you want the statistics or did you just ask for it?

i just asked them for the information - i think i should have provided them with a reason as to why i wanted the information.
i also asked for the 2011 statistics aswell. oh well

however glasgow dental school with only 530 applicants seems very low to me i would have assumed them to have atleast 800+ applicants as there minimum entry requirements are AAB.
Reply 1161
Researching potential interview questions, I found this one:
If you extract a wrong tooth, what would you do?
How would you go about answering this?
I'm not sure what I would say - but probably something about not being put in that position in the first place by paying extra attention and concentration before doing the extraction to ensure you do extract the right tooth
I would probably also ask someone of a higher level - e.g. another, more experienced dentist or consultant if available to check that the tooth is the correct one, if not feeling too confident, prior to removing it
What can you do after removing the wrong tooth, apart from apologising? luls.
Original post by bibbles
I'm not sure what I would say - but probably something about not being put in that position in the first place by paying extra attention and concentration before doing the extraction to ensure you do extract the right tooth
I would probably also ask someone of a higher level - e.g. another, more experienced dentist or consultant if available to check that the tooth is the correct one, if not feeling too confident, prior to removing it

i would freeze if got asked such a question lol. refer the patient to a dental hospital???
i dont think there is a right or wrong answer. as theres not much you can do
that must be one mean interviewer to ask such a question lol.
Reply 1163
Original post by undertaker1
i would freeze if got asked such a question lol. refer the patient to a dental hospital???
i dont think there is a right or wrong answer. as theres not much you can do
that must be one mean interviewer to ask such a question lol.

Haha same!!!! You never know!
ive got a finance evening invite for liverpool on 14th at 6pm........i dont think thats an interview.....lol....
Original post by bibbles

An oral surgeon I did Work Ex with told me about a time he did this also nearly happened to me when having a wisdom tooth out both not the dentists fault but due to the paperwork they were working from, I would worry if I did it offer the person free life time dental care if they signed to say they wouldn't take legal action
Reply 1166
Original post by open wide
ive got a finance evening invite for liverpool on 14th at 6pm........i dont think thats an interview.....lol....

lol same! i was the email and got extremely excited. i thin liverpool call according to gcse's so the more A*s you have the earlier you get an interview perhaps?

we need like a liverpool applicant page with gcses grades and a levels.
Original post by bibbles

Eeek, i would freeze if i got asked that. I'd probably say that i'd own up as the patient obviously needs to know whats happened and perhaps offer compensation such as offering free treatment for a tooth replacement/implant. (Also hope that you dont get sued or something) hahah
Original post by marijuana

Original post by marijuana
Eeek, i would freeze if i got asked that. I'd probably say that i'd own up as the patient obviously needs to know whats happened and perhaps offer compensation such as offering free treatment for a tooth replacement/implant. (Also hope that you dont get sued or something) hahah

Pay for his denture! lol

because i am curious as to how you received the information on applicant numbers.

i myself have been trying to find out but so far have been unsuccessful.

They're in some book somewhere/look at last years thread there's plenty of info on numbers of interviews..Leeds is always the highest by far :smile:
Reply 1170
Original post by bibbles
Nope not an graduate!

I got 5A*'s, 3A's and 2B's
Don't worry, I'm sure you will hear from them soon!

Hey, omg!! got an interview from liverpool !!! Can't believe it :biggrin: I'm so excited!!
Reply 1171
Hey,
Do you guys have an idea for any potential interview questions from liverpool? And should we take evidence of manual dexterity to an interview?
Original post by kubs
Hey,
Do you guys have an idea for any potential interview questions from liverpool? And should we take evidence of manual dexterity to an interview?

when did you get your email about you're interview? I'm trying to work out how often they send the invites out. I know some people had theirs on the 1st of november for the 14th.
Reply 1173
Original post by kubs
Hey, omg!! got an interview from liverpool !!! Can't believe it :biggrin: I'm so excited!!

Well done!!! When is it? haha me too, but so nervous!
Reply 1174
Original post by undertaker3
Don't say this, you'd know from the xrays whether or not the right tooth has been extracted. Most dental surgeries are run by a single dentist, so in most cases there wouldn't be someone more senior to turn to. You'd just hope that the dentist would have been able to distinguish between the different teeth in the first place as it's stuff they cover from year 1 of dental school all the way through.

Oh good point! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1175
Original post by bibbles
Well done!!! When is it? haha me too, but so nervous!

Mines exactly in the next 2 weeks :O can't believe it!! :biggrin: i know i'm feeling really nervous too :s-smilie: don't know what to expect really ... R u going to take anything to show your manual dexterity?
I don't know whether i should or not...
Reply 1176
Original post by kubs
Wow congrats! an iv :-o. R u a graduate by any chance?

I applied to liver 2 but havent heard anything :-/ what gcses did u get, if u dont mind me asking
X

I have the same 14th Nov liverpool interview....tips for what liverpool can ask and what really impresses them!! Thanks!
Reply 1177
Original post by amar24
I have the same 14th Nov liverpool interview....tips for what liverpool can ask and what really impresses them!! Thanks!

i'm not actually sure myself tbh :s-smilie: i think there will be 2 people on the panel though... is it a group interview or not?
Reply 1178
heey :smile:
im an international student... and i was wondering if everyone of you got the letters/emails which unis send like after your application.. i mean the "thank you" letters about applying to their unis..
I have just received like 2 so far & its kind of freaking me..
Reply 1179
Original post by aqua05
heey :smile:
im an international student... and i was wondering if everyone of you got the letters/emails which unis send like after your application.. i mean the "thank you" letters about applying to their unis..
I have just received like 2 so far & its kind of freaking me..

nope, i haven't received a letter from all of my choices either. i think perhaps it just generally depends on whether the dental school can be bothered to send off over 1000 letters...

Quick Reply

Latest