The Student Room Group

2012 applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Hello, I'm currently studying my AS levels and looking to do Dentistry as a degree. However my GCSE have let me down due to family problems I had. Unfortunately I only got B's and C's (English=C Maths =B). My teachers and I believe I should be able to get the 3 A's required for Dentistry. However what do you guys think on my chances of getting in? Please help currently at a emotional and confused state
Reply 1401
Original post by Kartace
Thats correct sweetheart, don't worry just yet :tongue: Leeds are sending out Interview dates on the week commencing 2nd of January. :smile:

hi :smile: if you dont mind my asking how do you know it'll be the 2nd of jan? sorry if its been mentioned earlier in the thread!!
Reply 1402
Original post by Kirtann
Hello, I'm currently studying my AS levels and looking to do Dentistry as a degree. However my GCSE have let me down due to family problems I had. Unfortunately I only got B's and C's (English=C Maths =B). My teachers and I believe I should be able to get the 3 A's required for Dentistry. However what do you guys think on my chances of getting in? Please help currently at a emotional and confused state

You should look at each dental schools website as they all require a certain number of grades at gcse( usually 5 A's) however if you phone up the dental schools(their admissions team phone numbers are on the website) and explain to them your situation you may be considered under 'extenuating circumstances' providing your school can back up the fact that you had family problems.
hope this helped:smile:
Does anyone know what are the chances of getting an unconditional for dentistry at glasgow uni are? What if you exceed their requirements and get 5 A's, have good work exp and extracurricular stuff etc
Reply 1404
Original post by mikechg
Does anyone know what are the chances of getting an unconditional for dentistry at glasgow uni are? What if you exceed their requirements and get 5 A's, have good work exp and extracurricular stuff etc

Hey, I've also applied to Glasgow ! interview is in Feb. (19th) . What are your stats if I may ask - ukcat, grades etc.

Also, I think an unconditional offer would be given to someone who has already achieved the required grades (they place conditions on adv. higher grades , B in either chem. or Biology I recall from a conversation I had once with glasgow admission. but don't quote me on this.)
Reply 1405
Original post by saynasayna
You're not at fault, it's them. They've received 985 applications ... and they're selecting applicants who have applied with a Medicine personal statement, the system is a joke. I find it hard to believe that out of 985, they couldn't shortlist 300 good quality applicants with a Dentistry personal statement to interview. They should know that Dental applicants only get 4 choices.
Like I said, it's not your fault they invited you for an interview.

I don't think it is so strange, there are many dentists out there, even some on the staff at Kings no doubt, who initially tried to get into medicine and then ended up setting for dentistry. I contemplated including St georges for medicine as one of my options as attended their open day and the admissions officer blatently informed the group that she would not be looking at personal statements other than a qucik check after interviews to verify if the information the candidate said at interview matched their ps. Her reason was that she could not prove the applicant actually wrote their own ps, or that the information it contained was true. Dentistry is a branch of medicine, I think most of us would find a medical career equally as interesting as dentistry, in fact in a way I think it unfair for UCAS to insinuate that we shouldnt be allowed to apply for both!
Original post by SRK.
Hey, I've also applied to Glasgow ! interview is in Feb. (19th) . What are your stats if I may ask - ukcat, grades etc.

Also, I think an unconditional offer would be given to someone who has already achieved the required grades (they place conditions on adv. higher grades , B in either chem. or Biology I recall from a conversation I had once with glasgow admission. but don't quote me on this.)

Mines is on the 18th! :biggrin: I got 5 A's and in the ukcat I got 623 if I remember correctly. What about you?

And ahh thanks, but just for clarity - do you mean that if you exceed their requirements of AABB then you get an unconditional? Would they give out conditions if you just met the requirements? :confused:
Reply 1407
Original post by mikechg
Mines is on the 18th! :biggrin: I got 5 A's and in the ukcat I got 623 if I remember correctly. What about you?

And ahh thanks, but just for clarity - do you mean that if you exceed their requirements of AABB then you get an unconditional? Would they give out conditions if you just met the requirements? :confused:

no, I don't think that is the case - although it would be nice :tongue: I think that perhaps they give you a higher academic score if you exceed their minimum requirement - hence more likely to receive an offer, however their offer will still be based on getting the the B in Adv. Higher.

Also 5 A's - 645 Ukcat ... I think this year their cut-off score is 615 ! So it's all good. Best of luck for your interview mate :smile:
Original post by SRK.
no, I don't think that is the case - although it would be nice :tongue: I think that perhaps they give you a higher academic score if you exceed their minimum requirement - hence more likely to receive an offer, however their offer will still be based on getting the the B in Adv. Higher.

Also 5 A's - 645 Ukcat ... I think this year their cut-off score is 615 ! So it's all good. Best of luck for your interview mate :smile:

Haha yea if that was the case it would be so good :smile: but ah i see, thanks for clarifying :smile: Its just that last year my friend got an unconditional and she got 5 A's. Plus she was still in 6th year :smile:

Cool, I got lucky then :L and yea best of luck to you too mate :smile:
Reply 1409
Original post by mikechg
Haha yea if that was the case it would be so good :smile: but ah i see, thanks for clarifying :smile: Its just that last year my friend got an unconditional and she got 5 A's. Plus she was still in 6th year :smile:

Cool, I got lucky then :L and yea best of luck to you too mate :smile:

oh right, your friend got in with her highers ? So, no condition was placed on her adv.highers !? not bad , perhaps - or so I would like to think - the system is like this then ...
Original post by srk.
were have you applied m8 - most uni's interview till march i think !

bristol
kings
birmingham
leeds
any1 happen to know how many people are called to interview at leeds?
Original post by hamhead94

300 I think! when is ur interview, pal?? :smile:

i wasn't... o.O
Original post by SRK.
oh right, your friend got in with her highers ? So, no condition was placed on her adv.highers !? not bad , perhaps - or so I would like to think - the system is like this then ...

Yea, she got in after the interview with an unconditional! I really hope so too :smile: oh, btw are you from glasgow by any chance? :tongue:
Original post by superdentist
bristol
kings
birmingham
leeds

have you recieved an interview from bristol yet?
Original post by *QueenBeee
300 I think! when is ur interview, pal?? :smile:

Wow thank you! owch thats horrible stats they got like 1500 applications if i remeber correctly. 20% chance :/ .
Wow thank you! owch thats horrible stats they got like 1500 applications if i remeber correctly. 20% chance :/ .

lol yeah.....have you got an interview??
Reply 1418
I have applied to Glasgow,Sterling, Heriott watt, Dundee and aberdeen to do BCS in Pyschology, I sent off my application at the end of november and have not even recieved a recognition from any of my Choices and I've seen that people have recieved almost instant offers from Glasgow, I am sooooo Worried. My Predicted grades are A* (in psychology) and AB, And got ABC In my As levels. So I cant understand why No universities would want me at all, If I havent heard anything does this mean that it is a rejection ? I am so so so upset and worried :frown:
Original post by Laurelcs
I have applied to Glasgow,Sterling, Heriott watt, Dundee and aberdeen to do BCS in Pyschology, I sent off my application at the end of november and have not even recieved a recognition from any of my Choices and I've seen that people have recieved almost instant offers from Glasgow, I am sooooo Worried. My Predicted grades are A* (in psychology) and AB, And got ABC In my As levels. So I cant understand why No universities would want me at all, If I havent heard anything does this mean that it is a rejection ? I am so so so upset and worried :frown:

I think you're in the wrong forum?!

Quick Reply

Latest