Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've had bad back pain all day and I've been drinking and its gone away, and its made me wonder whether alchol is a proper pain killer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stubear)
    I've had bad back pain all day and I've been drinking and its gone away, and its made me wonder whether alchol is a proper pain killer?
    Anti depressant. Also, add into the effect the placebo effect. In a sense you think that alcohol is a painkiller, so it acting like a painkiller.

ReputationRep:
    It must be.

I could never walk painlessly in 8" heels without it! :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol's actually a depressant, but it slows the function of the central nervous system which is why you don't feel the pain as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Anti depressant. Also, add into the effect the placebo effect. In a sense you think that alcohol is a painkiller, so it acting like a painkiller.
    It's a depressant, not an anti-depressant.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think it was a painkiller beforehad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Alcohol is a depressant

placebo effect has nothing to do with it

it's all aobut the things that control behaviour being depressed first

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think it was a painkiller beforehad?
    But you did want the pain to go away.

ReputationRep:
    They say alcohol only serves as a distraction. I say rubbish. Me and bourbon have been happy together for thirty years now.

ReputationRep:
    of course it is. drink enough of it and it's effectively an anaesthetic.

ReputationRep:
    If you mean a 'true' painkiller as in something that blocks sensation like novocaine or something, then no. But it is a depressant, so it dampens signals in the CNS enough to numb you a little.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldn't say so much of a painkiller as it stops you caring about the pain/makes you numb in large enough quantities.

ReputationRep:
    Thts a good 1, there has been times when i have hit the booze, and may have ended up in a tussle or two, a bottle to the head doesnt even cause me to stop, didnt even bother me if anythin it made me a whole lot mor pissed off. hurt like hell the next day tho.
    so to answer your original question, yes i think alcohol is a painkiller

ReputationRep:
    who cares, just have a drink whats the worst that could happen if it makes yah feel better

ReputationRep:
    short term yes
    long term no

ReputationRep:
    More of a pain 'number', it can dull the pain a little so you don't notice it so much or can't feel it so much. It's not a painkiller in the way like... I dunno... morphine is.
    Anyway in case you think you're onto something I wouldn't recommend drinking every time you need to get rid of some pain... just take paracetamol! Or go to the doctors if it's worse than that.

ReputationRep:
    If it worked on you then it worked on you. Try again next time you're hurting for more evidence, but you can't get a better start to a study than 100%

ReputationRep:
    Alcohnol... have you been experimenting?

ReputationRep:
    Yes; I used to have some to help with period pain and it worked.

ReputationRep:
    i think it is, i had surgery on my foot and iv been drinking vodka most nights to help with the pain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.