Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying a PhD for 2012/2013. I'm thinking of taking up a project that's related to Neuroscience. The problem is, there are so many sub-specialities to choose from, I feel really inundated by the whole thing! I am in my final year of my degree but despite so, I really don't know which area of neuroscience I really like the most! I know this is a really big question but can anyone at least guide me to narrowing down my choices? I'm quite indecisive.

And how about does one search for a PhD project? I'm also feeling a bit constrained by time as first semester is finishing up really quickly. Thanks appreciate help of any kind!!!!

ReputationRep:
    FindAPhD is a good start, but check out Cardiff University's 4 year PhD in Integrative Neuroscience:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/research/ne...tegrative.html
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You should probably apply for a 4 year scheme which has a year's worth of rotations and an MRes degree. You could either apply for a specific speciality program like c2uk suggested or apply to a general biology PhD program in a department that has a lot of neuro expertise so you can rotate in only neuro labs.

ReputationRep:
    The first year of Cardiff University's PhD programme is pretty much an MRes focused on Neuroscience:

Early in Year 1 you will receive formal lectures in research design, statistics, lab safety, animal welfare and ethical standards, and attend a series of specialized lecture courses in behavioural, cellular, molecular, genetic and system neuroscience. In the second part of Year 1, you will experience three 11-week laboratory rotations in internationally renowned labs of your choice. During the lab rotations, you will carry out research, gain knowledge of the questions addressed by the lab, and acquire direct experience of the relevant techniques. Lab rotations help you to reach an informed choice of the neuroscience area and supervisor you will choose for your full PhD project during Years 2 to 4.
    It's a pretty competitive programme, in case you're not successful, you could look at Cardiff's MRes in Bioscience, which is slightly more broader in scope but you'd also be exposed to Neuroscience:

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/biosi/degre...ces/index.html

ReputationRep:
    UCL have one in that area, funded by Wellcome Trust, too.

ReputationRep:
    Try to talk to one of your tutors about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your replies, I shall check them out. Just had a careers talk today and was informed of the tight deadlines to apply for them (early Dec to Jan) and I'm scared Actually, would it be better to take a masters first before PhD, or does it not make a difference at all? I'm sitting on a low 2:1 at the moment and I'm hoping to raise my grades up this year. Will I still stand a chance of getting into a PhD?

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff's deadline is 6 Jan. But with a low 2:1 you're probably better off to do a masters first and rather than worrying about your PhD applications you can focus on raising your grades.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I got in with a low 2.1 but then I had a publication and a year in industry also going for me.

Do work towards getting your grades up.

Maybe apply for both masters and PhD programs and see what happens. Extra work I know but it doesn't cost you anything and you may be pleasantly surprised. If you think it's going to affect your grades though then go for just masters programs like c2uk suggested.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I could apply for both! Sounds great. Time to do my hw then. I too had a summer research experience but I really don't know how helpful that'll be. Thanks to both of you. Do you happen to have any tips for doing better in my final year? I'm studying Biomed Science and exams this year are 100% essay which seems incredibly difficult and it seems impossible that my grades can go higher
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Definitely summer research will help your application. Anything over and above your research project which everyone does makes you stand out even if it's just by a little bit. Shows dedication to the field and research as a career.

Essay questions: do some reading around your lectures and pick up on some key information/facts that you can use as examples in your essays.

Spend some time before you start writing planning your essay-what are your points? Which order are you going to address them in so that your essay flows? What examples can you use from your lectures and your further reading? Is there any way you can discuss certain points (pros and cons of techniques, ideas or theories relevant to the question)? Do you have an opinion aside from the factual information you've provided?

Proof read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Definitely summer research will help your application. Anything over and above your research project which everyone does makes you stand out even if it's just by a little bit. Shows dedication to the field and research as a career.

Essay questions: do some reading around your lectures and pick up on some key information/facts that you can use as examples in your essays.

Spend some time before you start writing planning your essay-what are your points? Which order are you going to address them in so that your essay flows? What examples can you use from your lectures and your further reading? Is there any way you can discuss certain points (pros and cons of techniques, ideas or theories relevant to the question)? Do you have an opinion aside from the factual information you've provided?

Proof read!
    Yikes, I better crack the books then, meanwhile I shall research the programmes then over this couple of weeks. Thanks a lot!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.