The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Applying at University of Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did push myself, thats why I got A's and B's in my other subjects, just in science I got C's so there!!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 21
Inshallah when I get into medicine, then watch
Original post by Mr.Khane
I did push myself, thats why I got A's and B's in my other subjects, just in science I got C's so there!!

But you cannot get C's in the subjects you need most for Medicine and expect to get offers!

If you cared about medicine surely these would be the most important ones to push yourself in?

And also, even A's and B's wouldn't be enough, they expect A*'s, as many as possible and you have none.

With most other subjects and most Uni's they can look past your GCSE's but never Medicine, they want to see consistently high academic standards as you NEED to be good at exams to do well at Med School.

I'm sorry you taking this badly, it is tough to have to give up on your dream but you will only be disappointed if you apply.

Many people with much better exam results both at GCSE and A level have had to give up applying as they didn't meet the standard.

Honestly? You simply don't sound mature enough to be making decisions about your future just yet.
Reply 23
Suck out.
Reply 24
Hey there,

I am applying for Leeds, entry 2012, for the Cinema and Photography course. The course requirements are BBB and I am on track for an A*AB. No word of my application being received yet but by the sounds of it most people haven't so I won't worry.

Hope to get to know some of you and talk soon!
Reply 25
Your dad
Inshallah when I get into medicine, then watch

You still have a chance, maybe, if you apply for biomedical sciences and apply to medicine as a post grad. BUT, you'll need to be top of your biomed class to be accepted onto it.

Or, you could apply for a foundation course for medicine. I think only 3 unis do it though, im pretty sure king's is one of them, which is a fantastic uni. The course takes a year longer than an the traditional direct medicine route. You'll need BBB at least in your A-levels.

But, personally you dont seem like a mature enough person to do medicine, as everyone else here who are older and more knowledgeable than you are telling you. I doubt anyone would want you as their doctor. If you're serious about medicine, then you need to sort your act out, lad. Do you really think this is how a doctor behaves? You're NOT going to get in the direct way. Don't cry when people tell you the harsh truth, take it and see what you can do instead of calling names like an immature 5 year old!

And i suggest you plan some work experience and long-term volunteering over the next 2 years, if you wanna be realistic about being a doctor.
Reply 27
Thanks.
Reply 28
Original post by xaqread
Hey there,

I am applying for Leeds, entry 2012, for the Cinema and Photography course. The course requirements are BBB and I am on track for an A*AB. No word of my application being received yet but by the sounds of it most people haven't so I won't worry.

Hope to get to know some of you and talk soon!

hey i think im going to be applying for this course aswell. can you provide any links to student work or any info about the degree?
Reply 29
Not sure mate sorry
Reply 30
Thanks.

Hey,

You can still do it if your prepared to work REALLY hard and drop any silliness. Yes, requiremnts for medicine are at an all time high and Uni's really want those A's and A*s but it doesnt mean you cant do it?

Have you considerd retaking a few science exams to bump up your GCSE science grades? Did you do worse in one exam, in each science subject? Just redo them to get a better overall grade. If your determined enough, you can do it. A boy at my school was literally in the same boat but got B's and resat to get A's/ A*s whilst doing his A levels. He was so determined he ended up with 4 As at a level and is studying medicine now (tho his gcses were disrupted due to illness)

I think you have to be posess a high level of intelligence if you want to do medicine- but most importantly its about the effort you put in. Not everyone is a genius, but if ur willing to work hard enough Im sure youl get there. But wise up man, your going to be entering the adult world so you have to be prepared to take critismims, reflect and most imporatntly LEARN from them! These people are only trying to help you!

Ask yourself- Why do I want to study medicine?

If it stems from sheer passion and a sincere desire GO for it. There are other routes you can take but my advise would be to make an action plan.

So what are your short term goals:

- redo some gcse modules?
- No- then do your research yourself- use some initiative and find out what unis have the lowest entry requirements?
- Did you have any mitigating circumstances for ur GCSE results? If you do really well at A level you can explain that ur GCSEs were disrupted (but dont lie!)

Current Goals:

- Get work experience in differnt areas of healthcare eg general practice, Hospital (but apply early- they are very competative), Dental practices, pharmacies, Health clinics/centeres (Write letters, phone, email, and VISIT them and talk to them yourself)
- Get involved in volantary work NOW and make sure its long term, so working at a carehome two days a week, st johns ambulance, Soup kitchens, volunteering at school, hospital tour guide, volunatry youth work etc

Other things to get involved in:
- D of E
- First Aid
- Head Boy/ prefect? councilor
- Mentoring
- Young sports leader
- Extra curricular stuff --> play footy? do u represent ur school/ community?

Pat time job? Shows commitment/ responcibility

Long term Goals:

-Achieve A's in ....... How---> Make a timetable and set yourself targets and make sure you achieve them.
eg; set yourself mock tests at home using past papers regularly to test your understanding?

More tips?

Ask nicely, act maturely and Im sure loads of ppl wil b willing to help. Show respect man, and Be humble and say `ok I may not have achieved ammaazin gcses but ill rise above it and prove myself through sheer hard work'

- Ask teachers, family, freinds, tsr whatever if ur stuck on anything? AND make sure you understand b4 u move on, dont get lazy!

I do chem, bio and psychology so if u need help ask?

Khan academy has really good tutorials on bio, chem, maths and lots of other subjects so just do a quick google search and youl find it. It helped me alot.

But it all boils down to this....

If you REALLY want to do medicine its up to you to put the work in.

You can do it.

InshaAllah, Make dua and anything is possible. Keep faith in Allah and try your best and youll see, you wont go unrewarded for ur struggles.

Just keep going, InshaAllah youll get there

:smile:
Reply 31
Thanks soooo much for the advice :smile:
Reply 32
Thanks soooo much for the advice :smile:

Im happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest